Public Talk & Bookstudy Changes - the real reason

by bud2114 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bud2114
    bud2114

I havn't been able to keep up with all the discussion in this forum as to why the GB has suddenly decided to implement these changes and perhaps someone has mentioned this already, but to me the most obvious reason has nothing to do with control, or money. It has everything to do with the serious shortage of qualified brothers who can (or who are willing to) be used. I have been involved in the organzation for 40 yrs and I have never seen the level of apathy and disillusionment among those serving in some capacity in this organization. There are three main reasons for this: 1) burnout, 2) lack of urgency/belief that the GT or armaggedon is near, and 3) steady erosion of faith in the organization.

Burnout is rampant within the ranks of the servant bodies worldwide as fewer and fewer brothers are willing to serve and make the extraordinary sacrifices asked of them by the organization. Elders and servants are "stepping down" at an unprecedented rate. Finding a willing replacement has become next to impossible leaving those few loyal brothers completely overwhelmed as they struggle to handle all the congregation responsibilities which, of course, include conducting bookstudies and giving public talks. This has been a growing trend within the organization for some time, but it has all of the sudden become especially pronounced and is nearing crisis proportions.

The other issue is that more and more of those serving are realizing that the GT/Armaggedon may not be as close as it was once thought and any sense of urgency has waned considerably. The "generation" definition change in 1995 was the first real "alert" that something was amiss. Then you add in that the number of memorial partakers has actually increased (9,105 in 2007 compared to 9,081 in 1984), plus the recent change in the understanding of the "sealing" of the annointed (thought to have been completed in the 1930's, but apparently is not yet completed). What has happened is that in the minds of many serving, the "end" is suddenly a ways off in the distance somewhere. Less and less of those serving believe that it will happen in their lifetime and they had better do something to prepare themselves for a longer stay in this system.

Finally, more and more of those serving are wising up to the cultish ways of organization and they are no longer just accepting things and "waiting on Jehovah." In the past, the organization could successfully overcome any credibility issues due to failed prophesies or waffeling doctrines by writing a WT article or Question from Readers and it was just accepted. There was no discussion, no forum to question or examine what was printed, and of course, who had the time or the resources anyway. This is not the case now, however. The internet has changed everything. Anything about the organization can and is being discussed and not just anonymously online. These discussions are being carried back to the congregations, in field service car groups, and as a result the organization has (and continues to suffer) a tremendous loss of credibility among even those serving. The pedophile coverup and the scandalous UN association is becoming more widely known everyday. The legal and money problems of the WTBS, the blood issue, disfellowshipping, and other non-scriptural mandates of the organization are being questioned and being discussed.

The powers-that-be know that without willing elders & servants this organization is truly doomed. So, don't read into the "high price of gas" or the "we know that families are struggling and we want to add no further burden" horsesh*t expanation for these changes. And it ain't about control or money per se. Make no mistake, it's all about trying to stop the mass exodus of servants who are either burnout, disillusioned, and/or have lost the faith. Why do you think they have invited all the elders to the "pump me up" sessions in Patterson?

Expect more changes to come and soon. This is just the beginning - trust me.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo
    The powers-that-be know that without willing elders & servants this organization is truly doomed.

As a former elder I believe this. Many of those I know are just going through the motions they put in their time and give their talks and most of it is HALF ASSED. The R&F aren't afraid of them anymore so they don't listen to them like they were sheapherds they just go there own way.

LD

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Welcome Bud.

I was an elder until the early 1990s, and left the Witnesses all together when I couldn't stomach the 1914 Generation change.

Finding qualified brothers was always a challenge, and even more so now. Many of the best elders I knew have stepped down - or left the Witnesses completely. I saw a lot of good people burn out trying to keep up with the WTS demands. I would guess, from some of the clowns I see serving now, that the quality of congregaional leadership continues to go downhill.

Thanks for your insights.

S4

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I can buy part of what you say here, bud, but not all.

In the congregations in this area, most have far more elders than in the past. My former congregation - a rural one - was always short of elders. I was a MS forever, and was used like an elder due to this for decades. Three elders was a big allotment here for most of the 60', 70's, 80's and even well into the 90's.

Last time I looked - there were at least 8 elders here - and prob at least that many MS's too. The publisher number has held steady for 25 years - but the elder body is 3 times the size it ever was before. Same holds true of all the congregations I am aware of here. I don't see the elder-pool drying up.

There might be greater stress on these guys than ever before - that is an unmeasurable value, purely subjective. So I don't know about that.

You said this:

And it ain't about control or money per se. Make no mistake, it's all about trying to stop the mass exodus of servants who are either burnout, disillusioned, and/or have lost the faith. Why do you think they have invited all the elders to the "pump me up" sessions in Patterson?

If is "ain't about control" then just what is:

• trying to stop the mass exodus of servants
    • "pump me up" sessions in Patterson?

Those actions reek of 'control' tactics, unless someone believes that Brooklyn honestly gives a rat's ass about the 'servants' individually. No they want to 'control' the outflow, those who are exiting. The best way to do that is to control the 'servants' that interact with the assets daily.

It seems to be all about control - trying to maintain it in a chaos of their own making to this point.

Jeff

• snowbird
    snowbird

When I came into the org during early 70's, the BOE was simply superb.

One elder in particular stands outs as the epitome of Christian ideals.

When that body became too old or died off, that was all she wrote.

Their replacements were a bunch of jacklegs who didn't care which way the river ran - as long as it didn't run over them!

I totally agree with the opening post.

Sylvia

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

That said - I certainly don't disagree with the burnout issues. That has always been true.

I believe that control is job one - but also on the agenda is the matter of this organization trying to slide into mainstream religion. They do that partially, by an 'appearance' of loosening the girdle - but not in reality.

This is a step - not the journey they are taking. They are going somewhere with these changes - and history makes me sure it not about any lessening of the 'burden' on any level.

Hey - Welcome to the forum. Good post. Sure to get a lot of interest. Though this subject has been dissected pretty well all over the forum already. Thanx for your input.

Jeff

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Nice post!

I tend to agree with your thoughts in regards to the real reason of the change in the book study group arrangement.

I myself declined eldership twice (officially), and just a few months ago I declined it again when the service overseer asked if I had any change of thought in even considering being an elder.

The body of elders are too run down with paperwork, directives, procedure and policy. Nope, not for me. I don't want my hands tied!

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Bud, welcome to the boards. I enjoyed reading your commentary. Burnout among elders and even ministerial servants does seem to be getting high. I know in my old congregation it was a constant problem. Not even with just handling all the paperwork and stuff, but being able to adequately prepare for your parts. For years, two out of our three elders gave the same talks over and over again. You knew exactly what scripture they were going to turn to and what illustration they would use. But you couldn't blame them--they have families and full time jobs, what did we expect? Now a big problem I see is a lack of "qualified brothers," which more often just means relatively "with-it," smart men. Unfortunately, those are the ones who often don't need a proud title to make themselves feel better, knowing what they would get themselves into.

• metatron
    metatron

There have been rumors about D.O.'s saying that there has been a huge loss of elders in the US. In my area, it is obvious that elders are

quitting or dying off without significant replacement - and the quality of those remaining isn't very encouraging. Many of these guys are

burdened with a heavy load of problems too - like chronic illness, rebellious kids, lousy jobs and bad marriages.

I'd be interested in what other changes are supposedly coming.

metatron

• oneairhead
    oneairhead

I agree 100% with this post. Just this past weekend at the CA an elder made a comment about how the elders in his hall are dwindling. He is the youngest at 65 years of age. Also, my reliable sources are saying the same thing as all the comments above. Over the last 3-4 years one of the big requests from the platform at all meetings including CA's, DA's and congos is brothers reach out.

I burned out 3 years ago and I wasn't an MS or Elder at the time. Just trying to keep up with all of the requirements for the R&F is huge.

One

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit