Does the Watchtower no longer consider the Bible to be infallible?

by Fatfreek 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bob1999
    bob1999

I don't think they ever thought the Bible was infallible no matter what else they say.

In some ways they deny the deity of God as much as they deny the deity of Jesus.

The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126

"Sometimes a member of a class will refuse to engage in the canvassing for the books because there are some mistakes in the books, and says his conscience will not permit him to put books in which there are mistakes into the hands of the people. Of course this is another method that the enemy adopts to confuse the minds and furnish an excuse for not being faithful to the Lord. As every one knows, THERE ARE MISTAKES in the Bible and there has never been a book written yet that is perfect that has been written by any human hand."

Here they are denying the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The Bible was not written by man, but by God. If not then we, as believers, have nothing to believe in.

Peace

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Thanks for that 1928 WT quote, bob1999. If Rutherford were alive, I'd thank him as well since he probably was the source of this writing. "... As every one knows, THERE ARE MISTAKES in the Bible. ..."

It's simply another one of their contradictions that you can add to the pile. Not a surprise to most here if it weren't for the fact that they come down strong against those who are contradictory. Here, they embrace the text of one of it's quoted sources: "Why must we accept everything that the churches teach when many of the teachings are confusing and contradictory?" The Watchtower, 2003, 12/1 p. 4.

Len Miller

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Witnesses I know teach there is no inspired Bible in existence, that the Bible is not to be studied in a serious way, that there was no reliable Bible before 1950, that the New World Translation needed to be revised, that the name "Jehovah" is a mistake, that the only reliable information comes from the uninspired channel known as the governing body, and that they really didn't need that Tuesday book study after all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit