do you still believe god's name is "Jehovah"?

by winnower 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yknot
    yknot

Hmmmm.....

I don't know a human being who knows God's name for certain.

J, I, Y........but if we are going to argue the J are we also conceding to spell Jesus as Iesous, Yahshua or Yahusha?

Isn't it what is in your heart that matters, the spirit in which you worship, give praise, and remain faithful?

Too-mae-to / too ma to

I have bigger spiritual worries to figure out.......

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Nope.

• reniaa
    reniaa

But we don't even pronounece jesus's name correctly nowadays as i said in my earlier post its more correctly pronounced Jeshua, yet that doesn't matter? but Jehovah does? why?

And someone said we shouldn't pronounce God's name out of respect only using father lord etc but we don't apply that to jesus? as most christianity to quote someone above bats JESUS around like a pinata in everyday speak. yet they believe jesus is part of Godhead.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I believe god has many names - I don't use jehovah all that often. Yahweh, Yod-Heh-Vav-Heh, Hashem, Jesus, Prince of Peace, "I AM" - if he's out there he knows when I address him.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I do not believe God's name is Jehovah. To believe that you would have to belive the god of the bible for a start.

If the name Jehovah has been invented in relatively recent years, before that it was YHWH, then surely it is wrong for a christian to use that name.

Paul

• reniaa
    reniaa

The thing is jehovah isn't that recent....

Transcriptions of ??????? similar to
    "Jehovah" occurred as early as the
    13th century.

• 1278: Jehova/Yohoua: in the work Pugio fidei by the Spanish monk Raymond Martin (Raymundus Martini). [14]
    • 1303: Yohouah: in the book Porchetus' Victory Against the Ungodly Hebrews. by Porchetus de Salvaticis. [15] . [5]
    • 1518: Iehoua: in De Arcanis
      Catholicæ Veritatis
      ,1518, folio
      xliii by Pope Leo X's confessor
      Peter Galatin (Galatinus)
    • 1530: Iehouah: Tyndale's Pentateuch
    • 1611: Iehovah: King James Bible of 1611
    • 1671: Jehovah: 1671 [OT] / 1669 [NT] edition of the King James Bible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah

YHWH is just the consonants used but there would have been vowels with them but since ancient hebrew is along dead language, speculation on this is rife and even Jahweh is a more modern speculative version with no way to confirm its accuracy either.

But then should we not pronounce jehovah name because we no longer know the ancient hebrew way of prenouncing it? if that was the case most biblical names would be unprenounced,

Or should we follow the jewish tradition of not using it out of either respect or superstition.

One thing to point out this was an actual real name used (however we prenounce it) is the use of it in other names of the time many starting with JAH or JEH whichever way you prefer to put the first letters, these are used in descriptive name often stating something pertaining to Jehovah.

I wonder if jews did still use it would the trinity have ever been thought off? give someone a name and you make them more real, calling jehovah 'Lord' has in my opinion been directly causal in people thinking jesus is God who also was called lord.

• Terry
    Terry

Jehovah's Witnesses have made a fetish out of ONE of a great many names attributed to the Supreme Being.

Why?

The group Charles Taze Russell founded and instructed had split when Rutherford wrested control from Russell's designated heirs and policies.

To put distance between the refuseniks, Rutherford sought to put a barrier between his minions and the Russellites. He couldn't simply call his personal religion Rutherfordites or even Christians. Being contrarian, Rutherford's legalistic mind concocted a mythical court case with litigants God and Satan disputing over Soverignty. What part would mankind play? They would testify! For whom?

JEHOVAH!

Rutherford overlooked the most important fact staring him in the face. JESUS had already testified and paid the penalty of the dispute! The COURT CASE WAS OVER by the time Russell or Rutherford came along.

Jesus did the job and did it perfectly.

Rutherford's story is a slap in the face of Jesus' testimony, ministry and payment of judgement (capital punishment.)

JEHOVAH needs no FURTHER witnesses!

• Sasha
    Sasha

I would have to agree with Blondie. It's been around a long,long time. Having nothing to do with the JW's!

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

This is another crazy bunkum ruling of religion.

If gos has a name surely the pronunciation of it is the same as it has been from whenever god decided upon it.

And we know how all pronunciations have altered down the ages so Jehovah was definitely NOT the pronounced name centuries ago!

Preoccupation with names for divinity is a crafty way to get you doing the secret hand shake with your grey matter.

Accept our name for divinity and we have you at our beck and call!

It's about control - again!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

It depends on your perspective really - if you are an athiest I suppose you would argue its the name of one imaginary concept - if you are polytheist then you would argue that it is the name of but one god. If you are monotheist and your beliefs centre around the Hebrew god of the mountains then, yes you could still use that name but in the end, does it really matter?

Gary

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit