Are the USA and Russia the key actors in end time prophecy?

by scotoma 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I wanted to establish that prophecy is ambiguous until it needs to be understood. Eventually it will be interpreted correctly and it will be understood by everyone.

There is exactly zero evidence of that happening. What is your basis for reasoning on this?

The matching game is not all there is to prophecy. The prophecy about the end has the purpose of generating certain behaviors. The prophecy isn't about sitting on a roof waiting to be levitated. It's about flight for survival. Physical flight. It is a time where those who believe will be able to say with confidence "This is it!"

That has happened many times, each one wrong. What is the basis for predicting this will happen?

• Clambake
    Clambake

With the new understanding of Mog and Magog, It is funny how Jehovah Witness theology is now falling more in line with American evangelical with the big difference being they believe they somehow replace Israel with themselves.

I am not really sure how a vast army of nations from central Asia, the middle east and northern Africa are going to attack all the Jehovah witnesses. I really think Israel really might mean the modern day state of Israel.

Who knows. Every pastor I have talked to about this kind of stuff says it is fine to have in interest in this kind of stuff but there is a danger when your ministry just becomes all about the end times. It is better to focus more on your own life and not being a dickhead. No one really knows.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    I am not really sure how a vast army of nations from central Asia, the middle east and northern Africa are going to attack all the Jehovah witnesses - you're quite right. The number of JWs in those countries ranges from zero to 10s or 100s. There are no kingdom halls or preaching work as we understand it, no 'keeping separate from the world', etc.
  • scotoma
    scotoma

Viviane,

I wanted to establish that prophecy is ambiguous until it needs to be understood. Eventually it will be interpreted correctly and it will be understood by everyone.

There is exactly zero evidence of that happening. What is your basis for reasoning on this?

It's one of the rules for the prophecy game. If you want to play the game you have to accept the rules.

Daniel 8:26,27 "Keep secret the vision because it is yet for many days"..."I kept showing myself numbed on account of of the thing seen and there was nobody understanding it."

Daniel 12:4 "And as for you, O daniel make secret the words and seal up the book until the time of the end. Many will rove about, and the true knowledge will become abundant." NWT

Many will go here and there to increase knowledge.” NIV

many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased. American King James

seal the book to the time of the end; until many are taught, and knowledge is increased.Brenton Septuagint

Many will travel everywhere, and knowledge will grow. God's Word Translation

the scriptures ISR (1998)

I could list more versions but they all seem to indicate that understanding will emerge from an increase of knowledge.

Daniel 12:8 Now as for me, I heard, but I could not understand.

Do you detect any ambiguity in these statements?

In contrast the prophecy of Revelation is quite different. Revelation 22:10 gives opposite instructions:

"Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll for the appointed time is near"

Well here we are 2000 years later. It is possible to explain this contrast by special pleading to make sense out of it but, at the very least believing that the end is close would strengthen Christians as they faced the trials that would befall them in the first century and for however long they would need to endure.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Cofty,

You can go to bed now. I don't plan on writing anymore about prophecy. If anyone has a real interest they can message me.

Sorry for boring everyone.

• DJS
    DJS
    Thank you Scotoma for not writing anymore about prophecy. Apology accepted.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    What is your basis for reasoning on this?

The 100% failure rate of everyone attempting to interpret Bible prophecies.

It's one of the rules for the prophecy game. If you want to play the game you have to accept the rules.

Fantastic! Please show me where these rules are, that they are work and aren't simply a made up load of bunk designed to excuse failed speculation and prediction.

I could list more versions but they all seem to indicate that understanding will emerge from an increase of knowledge

Actually, none of them say that. This is a case of layering on things that aren't in the text, a typical prophecy trick. They say knowledge will grow, you are adding on the understanding part yourself. It's not actually part of the text in any way.

So, we have a 100% failure rate, some vague mention of "rules" that no one has seen, aren't published and give a convenient out whenever a predictor is wrong and a fabrication at worst, misunderstanding a best, of what the Bible actually says.

So, why should anyone, given this, listen to ANY end time prophecy?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit