On the sound use of mental suicide.

by Narkissos 86 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I am new to the thread, and this may not be relevent to the current conversation...but:

Whatever "higher self" may be accessible, we always end up working through ego in the social world. We can moderate it, sidestep it, be aware of it and choose to act in different (still ego) ways, but the personality is the gateway between the worlds.

Particularly in speech, we are working in the mental realm. Words/labels are ways to express things mind to mind - they may also be fingers pointing to something else, but words will always engage the mental domain primarily. If you lose "everyday self", you lose words.

I doubt there's much value in long term mental suicide. Short term can grant perspective and insight to more effectively live in the social, ego-bound culture we live in; but to stay in that place would be an attempt to live in a place that isn't here (and, one would have to ask, what would be the point of being here but choosing to ignore being here?).

• zensim
    zensim

So many responses have arisen within me and I can't choose which ones are worthy of expression. I have found lately that I have a committment issue with thought. Whilst on one hand I find it amusing that my thoughts are beginning to be bored with me (or I with them?), on the other hand it still scares me. Is this my growing awareness that resistance is futile as no mind (or 'big mind') beckons?

Maybe it is just I realise there is too much to say, it has all been said, we are just finding different ways to express same, we actually all agree and so I am left with no option in the end but to honour with silence. I guess there are always two options - stillness or growth - neither being better or less than the other.

Nevertheless, I will choose to respond to that which made me pause most:

My impression is that the "unchanged" in identity applies not only to what makes me "one" with others but also to what makes me "different" from them . I often thought that the essential distance between people doesn't really change much in a lifetime, no matter how much they talk and interact, live together or apart. That's why I feel true encounters are rare and precious.

Even in 'oneness' I find a different kind of egocentricity which keeps present the perception of separation - this is that "I" 'know' this 'Oneness' but others don't, thus it is my purpose to help others realise same (this applies to me no less). Which is what I was getting at when I said "I wonder if I can even tell the difference ...?" and the necessity of grading consciousness? So, for me, I endeavour to also feel and intuit - because there is more than consciousness of the mind at work here, there is the consciousness of the cells, of life force, of collective consciousness etc, of intention and manifestation (which I know is what you are also conveying).

I admit I was disappointed to go through mental suicide and to arrive 'here' and realise that what you say above is true - that there is an essential distance which always exists - it just looks and feels different now. As such:

as long as one can stand unconsciously playing his/her individual "part" in the social/mental play (taking him/herself "seriously" if you prefer) s/he just does.

... never seems to end in my view. So I think that the purpose of this thread is to identify the markers of the most crucial time (often that first BIG awakening in whatever form it comes) in a person's life when it is possibly dangerous (to themselves and others).

True encounters are rare and precious. However, when one is in state of wholeness, in that healthier state of being you can create or be more aware of opportunities for being totally present with another human and life. This is why teachers speak so much of gratitude and of bringing your attention back to this moment, as this is very much tied in with living in awareness. I have arrived at the point of knowing these opportunities are available in every moment. Whether it happens in every moment is another matter and part of my ongoing learning.

The irony of the quest to realise this as a permanent state is that it is already here - there is nowhere to go.

As antithetic as it may seem I think it is another of "its" names indeed.

(Have you ever read Borges' short novel Undr ?)

I know it may have sounded antithetic. And yes, it was on some level - because I am enjoying (at the risk of sounding like "you are the wind beneath my wings") sharpening my mental axe on your stone :) But to convey what I mean by 'life' would be another whole thread. I am not talking life in a general sense - people, nature, earth. I am talking about feeling a love so pure, for an energetic force which (again at risk of being interpreted very differently because in no sense did this feel religious and I am vehemently anti-religious) felt like I was drinking life's water, a water that not only refreshed my thirst in that moment, but felt like it quenched every thirst I had ever had and ever will have. I can't even describe it as just a spiritual experience because it felt so physical.

No, I haven't read Undr - I will take up your recommendation. I do feel out of my depth when you all discuss classic literature. I am a voracious reader - I am afraid I am a grazer though :)

VoidEater:

I doubt there's much value in long term mental suicide. Short term can grant perspective and insight to more effectively live in the social, ego-bound culture we live in; but to stay in that place would be an attempt to live in a place that isn't here (and, one would have to ask, what would be the point of being here but choosing to ignore being here?).

Yet it is interesting that so many of the great teachers speak of the value of 'long term mental suicide' :) . Maybe it is just semantics, but as I have discussed above, whether you view it as 'long term' or a series of stop and start 'short term suicide' - it is an ongoing process which you can either choose to be aware of or not.

I don't believe it is a 'place' but a way of being. Rather than 'choosing to ignore being here' it is quite the opposite - one is so present to life, to the moment, to what is right here in front of you, that you realise there is nowhere else to go. One isn't choosing to ignore what is here, one is only choosing the meaning they ascribe to it, conscious that this 'place' shapeshifts constantly and is not static or a place to land.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

zensim: wow, the first six sentences of this last post of yours perfectly expressed something i've felt my entire life and not been able to put words too. thank you for not remaining silent this time. ;)

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

zensim: especially the first and fifth (sentences). hahaha - big smile your way :D

• zensim
    zensim

SPAZnik - just my sudden awareness today of "I have a committment issue" alone has, once again, thrown me in the deep end of never ending internal exploration - lol.

So I am hijacking this thread before I take myself too seriously - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzfo4txaQJA

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

LOL

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thank you VoidEater, zensim & SPAZnik. Your input is making this thread more interesting (at least to me) than I could ever dream it might be.

So I think that the purpose of this thread is to identify the markers of the most crucial time (often that first BIG awakening in whatever form it comes) in a person's life when it is possibly dangerous (to themselves and others).
    True encounters are rare and precious. However, when one is in state of wholeness, in that healthier state of being you can create or be more aware of opportunities for being totally present with another human and life. This is why teachers speak so much of gratitude and of bringing your attention back to this moment, as this is very much tied in with living in awareness. I have arrived at the point of knowing these opportunities are available in every moment. Whether it happens in every moment is another matter and part of my ongoing learning.
    The irony of the quest to realise this as a permanent state is that it is already here - there is nowhere to go.

This reminds me of the time when I associated with Evangelical Christians (aka "born again," but the French version, although fairly influenced by American Evangelicalism, fortunately lacks many of its overtones, especially the "political" ones) after leaving the JWs. I would readily express my experience in the same "mythological" vocabulary, although I was aware it was but one possible expression of it. But I was apalled that, in Evangelical speech, "when were you born again?" was functionally equivalent to the JW "how long have you been in the truth?" -- introducing to a supposed lasting state, being practically equivalent to religious membership (although it was not tied in with one organisation).

To me the relationship between "being born again" and time was entirely different, and quite problematic in fact. (Symptomatically, the topic I later chose for my theological dissertation was the concept of "novelty" or "newness" in the N.T.) I tended to see my "experience" as more punctual -- like a "spot" (the spatial metaphor is unavoidable) you can only fully "remember" when you happen to get there again, but actually "forget" in the meantime, with just a vague sensation that you are "missing something". Evangelicals would say that I was missing on the "holy spirit," or "discipline" perhaps. I accept that, but I am what I am, and I think the apparently negative side of my experience (being out of "there" most of the time) was worth digging as well. Anyway I found that "in-and-out" pattern more genuine to me than pretending, which I'm afraid is the flip side of assuming a permanent state of "enlightenment" or whatever. The Johannine "dwelling" always sounded great but slightly delusional to me... but my experience integrates the fact that I may, indeed, be missing on something. Andas such it is interesting, too.

"you are the wind beneath my wings"

I deliberately take that sentence of yours out of context because I like it. One thing I have often thought is that, against dualism, we are not dealing with antagonistic principles. To parody Lacan's axiom "there is no metalanguage," I would say that there is no metaphysics; rather metaphorical physics. Birds don't fly on a principle of "levity" as opposed to "gravity," but on gravity itself. Apparent levity is a compound of structure and movement. And the less heavy rests on the heavier. No "good" or "bad". Collective balance. One of my favourite Pauline sentences is "no one lives or dies just for him/herself".

Btw Undr is in The Book of Sand (El libro de arena) if you're looking for it.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

It has been said that going sane feels just like going crazy. This thread mirrors where I find myself in this play called life. I see myself weaving through the same thoughts, questions and feelings as I confront the ultimate question, "Who am I really?"

Tolle's work resonates with me. And yet, as I watch the forums unfold around his work, I am struck by how mentally unwell these people seem, myself included. On the road to the truth, we have lost our ability to function well in the here and now.

My brother is entering this seeking. It has been brewing for years. I dare say, my leaving the org has brought the process along. And I feel conflicted about it. I fear for him. And yet, I know there is no going back. You cannot re-insert yourself into the old constructs, the old ways of being. You reach the point of now return, that state of mental suicide and you can do nothing but continue on the course you've charted.

Paulo Coelho, in his book "Eleven Minutes" says: "At every moment of our lives, we all have one foot in a fairy tale and the other in the abyss." It is hard to keep it all together. I have these incredible moments of presence and heightened awareness, moments where the words fail and everything makes sense. And then I have these dark despairing moments where I crave death, crave the quiet of oblivion. Is this enlightenment? Is this real? What is real?

"At an individual level, I'm more worried about the fate of people getting stuck in the "grey zone" and becoming more and more "dysfunctional" in the ongoing old world where functioning still matters. Seeing them as "martyrs for the 'New Earth'" is hardly a consolation to me."

In the moments of awareness, I am high functioning. I feel like I am at one with life, in love with it, making love to it. In the dark moments, I can barely get out of bed.

"To me the difference is how much stress, or anxiety, or frustration, or boredom everyone can bear. I would suggest (partly from experience, partly from intuition) that as long as one can stand unconsciously playing his/her individual "part" in the social/mental play (taking him/herself "seriously" if you prefer) s/he just does. Whoever is not subjectively able to do that any longer enters in a crisis, leading to either "consciousness" or "death" -- in a sense, both."

Yes, this is where I find myself. On the thin line between consciousness and death. Sanity and insanity. A nice place to visit; not so fun to live there.

"So many responses have arisen within me and I can't choose which ones are worthy of expression. I have found lately that I have a committment issue with thought. Whilst on one hand I find it amusing that my thoughts are beginning to be bored with me (or I with them?), on the other hand it still scares me."

I write a blog. Some of you here read it regularly. I have entered into a love/hate relationship with my thoughts, with my words. As zenism so aptly expresses, a "commitment issue". I see my mind circle around and have so much deja vu I think sometimes it's all scripted somewhere and I should just let go and enjoy the ride. As I write my blog, I feel this push/pull, this wanting to share, yet this deeper sense of meaningless, that the language I have for what I'm experiencing just doesn't cut it. And I realize how much my world is expanding and contracting at the same time. Will I reach a place where I can no longer communicate my experience? And then what? If I no longer have language, how do I relate to my fellow man? Where does that leave me? The infinite world then once more becomes a box with shackles.

And then, I wonder, does any of this really matter? When I finally escape the clutches of this human existence, will all this have meant something?

tall penguin

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Narkissos...

"To me the difference is how much stress, or anxiety, or frustration, or boredom everyone can bear. I would suggest (partly from experience, partly from intuition) that as long as one can stand unconsciously playing his/her individual "part" in the social/mental play (taking him/herself "seriously" if you prefer) s/he just does. Whoever is not subjectively able to do that any longer enters in a crisis, leading to either "consciousness" or "death" -- in a sense, both."...

I'll chime in now......no delusions of grandeur here, but...as long as I sense a conscious refusal to bow to my claims of being "pre-michael"...a small part of me dies daily. Only on this board do I sense this "death" tho strangely! In my "real life" I can still be the stranger that is the angel, so to speak, and consequently there is the acceptance that "life goes on" for me and those around me.

I don't know if this has any cosmic significance...but if it does then...If I die to you then do you die to "michael" and by extention...the God of Michael? God only knows...

love michelle

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I would say that there is no metaphysics

I think at this stage the only thing real is that which is before our eyes, and the physical world is the manifestation of the spiritual. The question then becomes how to let the heart work through the limited personality.

I use "place" to mean "way of being", it is how you stand in relationship to all around you.

Each time the mental part is dashed to be rebuilt, it is rebuilt in a different fashion - and when conscious effort towards consciousness ;-) is made, hopefully the reformation is a smoother conduit from the inner container to the outer world. We bring the inner "oneness" of ourselves closer to the surface, reducing the barriers between us all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit