Girl died after parents hit her 160 times

by Hmmm 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Morgaine
    Morgaine

<taps her lips thoughtfully>

So, when we look into the face of such dimensia- such bold faced evil. Because what could be more evil than the torture of a child. I don't think anyone here would say that this case is otherwise.

How do we account for evil? Is evil the punishment as St.Augustine( agreat writer if not a saint - who knows) said - the punishment for origonal sin - And, those of us who are redeemed at judgment day will pass on and those who are not fully redeemed will cease to exist?
    This was the way he could justify the blatent suffering in the world.Including the suffering of children. The world was our punishment - or the begining of it.

Or is it the law of opposites. A positive force and a negative force clashing to create a balance. And what we live in today is an imbalance?

Can we really fight this kind of insanity? What causes it? Can you come back from that, as Mommy seems to suggest. That you can learn a lesson from that and be redeemed? Or is it already to late and you should be killed like Utopian reform suggests?

At what point in the human mind does madness drive a permanent rift through our reasoning capabilities?

Or, are some of us truly evil? Truly blackend. Part of the "pair of opposites". The negative force.

What is the nature of this reality we live in that things like this occur.

All through time - Priests, historians, philosophers, simple good folk minds, have wrestled with these questions. So, i ask you, as i am moved to such dispair by this story, to give me your insights here - so that we can learn from eachother and gain some more understanding with in our own limited frames of reference.

• freeman
    freeman

What a tragic case this is.

What a waste of a young life. That said, I hope such a terrible incident will not be used by you hard-core apostates as stick to beat-up on would be adherents of the WTBTS. Kent are you listening? The WTBTS does not teach or condone this form of child abuse. That said, they do condone scores of other forms of child abuse and so if someone wanted to perhaps put a link to Silent Lambs site in this article, that could be a good thing. Sure you would be exploiting a young girls death, but how much better it would be to use her death to show what this cult is truly about. Remember, exploiting the deaths of young people is not without precedent; recall the AWAKE with all the dead kids on the cover? Yes they all died on the Watch Tower blood-alter. DISCUSTING!

Just my two cents

Freeman

• mommy
    mommy

Morgaine,
    I appreciated your thoughts. I guess I am a weird one. I don't wish death even harm to these parents. Isn't the loss of a child by your own hand enough to live with? The father had attempted suicide before he confessed. I am not saying that they will learn from this either. I can't read their heart.

So if we did beat these parents to death why would we be doing it? To prove a point to them? The bigger person with the best weapon wins? That didn't work for their daughter. I am sorry, but if you agree that killing the parents even beating them to death is the answer to this, well you are actually saying this type of behavior is okay to begin with. Yes I know big difference the act is against an adult, and not a child. But shouldn't the principal be the same. That this is a horrible act, and a horrible way to die?

I guess I view it as the death penalty. You kill someone, and you will die. Sorry I just don't buy it. If we are playing by those rules we should just give up on humanity and clump everyone in a category. Mark everyone with a black X that cusses, and every adulterer with red A, and so on and so forth. Time has a way of healing even the hardest of hearts. I am one who is willing to wait, and accept a person when they are ready. I feel in order for the earth views to change we need to take it one indivdual at a time. The only way to stop abuse is to break the cycle. And educate, educate, educate!(not to be confused with advertise, advertise, advertise)
    wendy

Blind faith can justify anything.~Richard Dawkins

• nelly136
    nelly136

I dont believe they condone killing,but unless things have changed drastically since I left (and thats been a whiles)
    controlling children is, bruises can be hidden under modest length skirts and clothing,
    they dont bring reproach on the wonderful org,
    I dont remember anyone ever commenting that punishment given out
    in the toilets was excessive or that wooden spoons hairbrushes etc were not suitable for use , I do remember the smirks and aproving
    looks that were part and parcel of a trip to the back room,
    I cant help but wonder how many people knew this was going on or whether it was an isolated case in this tragic childs life,
    nelly

• ISP
    ISP

Hmmm...I think you are excused! It is a very disturbing case.

ISP

• Judith
    Judith

Mommy

You said, "Isn't the loss of a child at your own hand enough to live with?" The coward tried to take his life because he got caught this time because his daughter died. Think about how many years that poor girl and her siblings have been beaten and abused. He tried to kill himself to take the easy way out. Do you really believe that he sits and is sorry that he beat his daughter to death? He is probably mad at her for dying instead of recovering to be beat again.

Death penalty would be too easy for him and his ferangie wife. They should be put in prison for life and let the inmates take care of them. Even if that happens, I don't think they will ever experience the fear of those children being beaten at whim from the very people who are supposed to love them. Body and mind murdered over and over and over again.

Judith

• Morgaine
    Morgaine

Mommy,

I think you misunderstood what i was saying in my post. i was contrasting your moral view with Utopian reforms moral view.

I do , however, have specific questions that is would be great if you answerd them directly (you touched on them yes) to give us insight to your moral frame of reference (id like everyone's opinon actually). I'm not only asking what "what do we do with those who torture children" but "why does it happen?" And how do you personally account for evil in the world? what is the definition of evil?

Also, I find it a little bit of a stretch to lump in and adulturer - an oath-breaker - a liar - with a person who tortures a child. Children are the only pure visage of innocence and vulnerability we can possibly know and to find it in your heart - to embrace that rift of madness and give in or act on such demonstrations of obsenity - well - that is evil.

Not that oath breakers aren't a certain level of evil. Well, then again an oath-breaker is more a person who lacks temperence, who lacks will.

that i believe can be redeemed.

but look at what your comparing here - id go back and absorb the details of that article again. That - is - EVIL.

Now, This is not a case that is limited to the Jehovah's witness regime.This is a common everyday occurance with any Zealot and with any agnostic or sanctimonious human being.

Really, in this world where a creative force goes by many names - and many realities -

How do we account for evil in the world?

morgaine.

ps. feel free guys and gals to re reference my first post <points up> so i dont loose anyone.=)

Edit: Ps. M. not that i am disagreeing with you or making a statement either way. but had this been your daughter - or had your daughter been my friend who was forced to preform oral sex on her step father until she was 13 years old - well, i wonder how docile your opinon on evil - or reform would be then.

just a thought.

• nelly136
    nelly136

I'm a little sceptical at the suicide attempt,Ive seen desperate people do a lot of damage to themselves with a ring can pull,
    but he has a 6" knife and gets treated for minor injuries.
    Will probably help in an insanity plea though
    nelly

• Judith
    Judith

Morgaine

Your question of how do we account for evil in the world? My definition is quite different then it would have been three months ago when I still believed in a god and the bible. Satan? Is there such a being? Evil spirits I think are just a figment of ones imagination just like religion is. I don't know if a god exists but if he does, this kind of stuff is unforgiveable. Jesus (who was supposed to be perfect) spent 3 hours hanging on a cross. What kind of time did this 12 year old spend being tortured? Every day was a living hell (she wasn't perfect now was she) So why was she supposed to put up with more than 3 hours of torture? Makes no sense to me. It says in the bible somewhere that god will not give you more then you can bear. I believe this example shows that that is not so.

Evil is here because people are just evil. Are the animals evil? I know some are more vicious then others but they are killing to eat and stay alive. Have to kill, they have to die, I have to eat to stay alive. Ah, but the wasp stuns the moth and plants its eggs and the pupa proceeds to eat the moth a bit at a time and the heart last so that the poor moth stays alive and suffers. I believe that this is what Darwin discovered and concluded that there could be no God and allow this kind of suffering. So some of us are moths and some are wasps. Wasp Tower Society comes to mind.

Look at how many crimes are committed in the name of religion. Parents beat their children because the bible tells them so. (Yes Jesus love me, yes Jesus loves me, yes Jesus loves me. The Bible tells me so.) BS to the max. The cycle of abuse continues - The parents were beaten as children to be holier before God and the parents had a responsibility to beat their children or they would be held responsible if the children strayed. Then they had children, and so on and so on. The cycle of abuse continues and gets more severe as angrier people (generations of abuse = acceptable means of dealing with children)

Religion is evil. It excuses all in the name of god. "We beat her to death because God said to not spare the rod." Evil F***ing people!
    Sure there are those that are evil and have no connection to a god. It just makes it that more ugly that it is done in the name of religion.

People prey on the weak. Power. Is it all about power? Nothing corrupts like power and power corrupts absolutely (can't remember the exact quote). When you have the power, you can do anything you want to anyone and no one can stop you. Something must go haywire in the brain. Drugs, religion (remember Religion is the Opium of the people?) Look at the people who drink too much alcohol, are they nice and sweet, and kind and compassionate? NO! They are drugged and feel that they can do anything they want to another person. I think that people who abuse their power are really weak. Like that 12 year old's parents - cowards. F***ing lousy cowards. A 350 pound man beating that little girl with heavy tubing. He needs to have (and his wife too) someone beat them every day to the point of death and then let them heal and then have it done again and again 12 times less one times 3. Of course, the person doing the beating would become evil too.

So what is the answer in your mind Morgaine?

JBB

• mommy
    mommy

Judith,
    I hit my posting limit yesterday and could not respond I am sorry. Actually Judith you said in your last post the point I was trying to make

Of course, the person doing the beating would become evil too

I agree with you on your views of god, I can't imagine a god that would allow this child to be tortured and die this way. But in our own hearts and minds, if we allow ourselves to wish the same torture and death on the parents...aren't we then "evil?" I said in my first post, I can't read their hearts, none of us can. Yes it is horrible, you have no idea how this has upset me. I just cannot in good conscience say that is okay to turn around and give back to the parents the same kind of torture.

I did feel that way at one point in my life. I thought and eye for an eye. If someone murders they should die the same death, I actually thought this for a long time. But then I realized what it was doing to me. I got angry, I wished pain on someone, I wanted them to suffer...it isn't a very nice picture. And when you realize that in your mind you actually are wishing this on another, what does that make you?

We all were shocked by this act of violence, take it a step further. How do you think I feel when I see people write we need to repeat this act? Why? What good would it do? The final act is death, what could they possibly learn upon dying?

I said I was not the norm, and I also have been mistaken for advocating certain acts of violence. This is just not so. I do not advocate violence or acts against children. I stepped out of the box and realized that violence begets violence, unless you break the cycle. You even said this in your post.

Morgaine,
    HeyIn my original post I said, If we are playing by those rules we should just give up on humanity and clump everyone in a category. My point was, we cannot determine the end result of a punishment just by the deed. There are extenuating circumstances to every situation in life. If we allow ourselves to always assume a liar will be a liar, or a murderer will always be a murderer, then we should mark everyone so that it is visible. We do not do that, because people can change, and hearts can change.

I cannot fathom why a parent would do the horible deed they did. I cannot see how this terrible act can even be redeemed. My point in my first post was that, we need to concentrate on the kids who are left beihnd, and show them love, and compassion. Whatever happens to the parents happens. But to wish the same on them is to riddle your mind with the same "evil" they commited.

As far as evil is concerned, I think it depends on your life experiences what you determine evil to be. And personally I do not like that term evil. Because there is not a clear definition of what it is. What some may view as evil is not viewed as evil by another. Is there a spiritual creauture out there that puts evil in people's hearts? I don't believe in that. Not one person on this planet has all the answers, some follow a god that gives them a baseline to some rules. But those rules they follow can be taken to extremes, as we see. Some follow their heart, and listen to their conscience to determine how they will live their lives. Thus we cannot determine how another should act.

Life is forever changing depending on the circumstances that are presented to us. You questioned how I would react if my daughter was sexually abused. I honestly cannot tell you. It is one of those things I have not been faced with yet, and hope never to be.
    wendy

Blind faith can justify anything.~Richard Dawkins

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit