JW couple beats daughter to death

by saltiest 52 Replies latest jw friends

• sf
    sf

Reading "that" book is one thing. Governing your life by it is, now and as we have seen over and over again, always will be a CHOICE of RELIGION. And we all know that everyone has the freedom to live according to HOW THEY INTERPRET OR ALLOW OTHERS TO INTERPRET IT FOR THEM and their childrens lives. Wasn't long ago that a pastor of a church abused the children of his cong because why?

Insert answer here:________________________________.

sKally, non biblical governed klass...wcrestnpeace

• conflicted
    conflicted

I am outraged by this story and the memories that it is dredging up from other survivors. I too was a victim of abuse, but I'll not get into that just yet.

Room 215, you said:

In fairness, it must be said that by far the majority of JW parents I've known understand the difference between a spanking and a despicable criminal act such as this, and would not condone it. Mental instability is mental instability and the religious affiliation of the one afflicted is irrelevant.
    You must know that most JWs would react to this bit of news much as we all did, with horror and revulsion, so whatever we think of them, it's unfair to conclude that punishment of this sort is a regular occurrence among them and is deemed in any way acceptable and responsible parenting.
    Unfortunatly, I have to disagree with your take on this. I'm sure you've known many JW parents that seemed to know the difference between a spanking and abuse, but you don't know what happened in the privacy of their homes.

I can tell you right now that the only thing JW's are going to have a problem with in this circumstance was that poor Laree died as a result.

I can also tell you that the "40 strokes less one" punishment is not an isloated case of warped minds. I don't know where the times three came from, but I was dealt 39 strokes many times with that scripture being quoted as they were administered.

My parents often went to the elders to request a punishment, ie "What punishment should we administer when so-and-so does this?". The elders always metered out some number of strokes, never a lecture, never grounding, always beatings.

You say 'it is unfair to conclude that punishment of this sort is a regular occurance'. I say the only thing irregular here is that the parents got caught.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Senseless tragedy!

Any who believes in Jehovah's Witness Way of Disciplining(senseless beating), Please stop!!

• blondie
    blondie

The thing I wonder about is the parents status in the jw congregation after this. How many jws had witnessed abuse and not said anything. I can remember a baby under 12 months that was taken in the back room and hit severely to get him to stop crying. Of course, he cried more. I was a pre-teen myself and was told it was none of my business by my mother. I hated that book study...it was at a home and this child was hit at least 3 times in an hour.

In my own jw family I knew of a sister who beat her children and moved often, one step ahead of child services. Later in my work with law enforcement I read the file about this family and it explained a great deal. Two of the children grew up got baptized but are now serving life in prison. The other is confined in a mental health facility...for life. These children were locked in closets and given a bucket to eliminate in and water in another to drink, locked up all day for days.....

• xtreemlyconfused17
    xtreemlyconfused17

I was just wondering, why is everybody blaming the JW for beatings? Don't other people do it to? Here everybody beats their kids up, its the circle of life. VERY VERY few boast around that they've never been beaten and its kinda prestigious. Kids get beat up at school! I'm 17 and i just got canned last friday. Our high school bros get cannes too (with their beard!!). Although i don't know what's your diffrence between spanking and beating! But now i remember, when once at the meeting the article talked about discplining kids, everybody was so surprised that 'white' people can beat their kids too!!! (we hear overseas kids are NEVER touched, just 'grounding'). I'm not encouraging it though!! Its sad that in those developed countries too, kids have to die because of cannes/spanks/beatings. Or maybe it's only for the JW as u all say. Then i hope all JW kids there get help FAST

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS and its members have a two-faced approach to "spanking." Did you read all the other comments on this thread? Are you a jw yourself or were so you can speak from a position of knowledge and experience?

***Family Life book fl chap. 10 pp. 131-132 pars. 2-5 The Value of Disciplining in Love ***

THE ROD OF DISCIPLINE

A spanking may be a lifesaver to a child, for God’s Word says: “Do not hold back discipline from the mere boy. In case you beat him with the rod, he will not die. With the rod you yourself should beat him, that you may deliver his very soul from Sheol [the grave] itself.” Again, “Foolishness is tied up with the heart of a boy; the rod of discipline is what will remove it far from him.” (Proverbs 23:13, 14; 22:15)

-----------

It is interesting in countries that have made it illegeal to spank children, that the WTS has edited their publications to take out any references to spanking but not in countries were it is not illegal.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Uhhh, this story is 11 YEARS OLD! Why is someone bumping stories that are over a decade old? Is there no new news to report?

• whathappened
    whathappened

This story was bumped because someone on another thread is writing a letter to the authorities about JW abusing children and she needed true documented stories.

I personally witnessed my uncle, who was an elder, beat all three of his children. He would pick up his little blonde blue eyed daughter and throw her against the wall when he was finished beating her.

How did they turn out? They are all messed up emotionally. One boy is a child molester, the other boy enjoys watching other men have sex with his wife, and the daughter is divorced from an elder and is pretty whackie herself. She is the only one still a JW.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, have to keep those abuse cases fresh or they have no meaning.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

A mountain of evidence. ABUSE of all kinds is endemic in WATCHTOWER land. Hummmm...... By thier fruits you shall know them.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit