JW couple beats daughter to death

by saltiest 52 Replies latest jw friends

• saltiest
    saltiest

I just read this article in the Chicago Sun Times. When I started reading the parents were religious and then saw home-schooling, I had a gut feeling they were JW's. I read on and found out I was right. This is only my second post here, but I had to share this article. Shocked doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this. How sad that a child had to die because the parents felt the need to follow a scripture no matter what. I hope their other children are able to receive the help they need.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-girl13.html

Article Text:
    Biblical beating kills girl: cops

November 13, 2001

BY MAUREEN O'DONNELL, ANA MENDIETA AND ANNIE SWEENEY STAFF REPORTERS

The parents accused of beating their 12-year-old daughter to death have told police they were meting out the biblical punishment of "40 lashes minus one, three times," detectives said Monday.

Constance Slack, a registered nurse at a children's hospital, gagged her daughter, Laree, while she was strapped down to a futon, police said. Her father, Larry Slack, then repeatedly hit the child with an inch-thick section of rubberized electrical cable filled with strands of wire, police said. She died of internal bleeding.

"It was horrific,'' one seasoned police officer said.

The parents were upset that Laree was being "uncooperative" after they ordered their chilldren to find a smock with credit cards inside Saturday night, police said. Larry Slack is a firm believer in corporal punishment, and he and his wife decided to administer discipline from the Bible, investigators said.

"It was his attempt to teach his daughter about responsibility,'' Area 2 Sgt. Stan Salabura said.

Both parents are devout Jehovah's Witnesses who home-schooled their six children, ages 8 to 17, police and neighbors said.

"He was a strict person. Whenever he came out, the kids would straighten right up and pay attention to him,'' said a neighbor who didn't want to be identified.

But friends were shocked by the allegations. "He was a very peaceful guy and a very smart person. And he was very religious," said the Rev. Wayne Lewis Jr., who attended Bible studies in the home. "The first time we met he was trying to convert me, but I am a Baptist minister.'"

The Slack home on South Brandon stood empty Monday, calm, with no traces of the tragedy. The family's two cars were parked outside in the 7900 block. Along the stairway to the second floor were a training manual for Jehovah's Witnesses, stapled sheets with math problems, a grill, a basketball hoop and a Domestic Violence Safety Plan issued by the Cook County state attorney's office.

The Slacks were a quiet family who stayed away from their neighbors, hidden behind a 6-foot-high wooden fence that Larry Slack built to replace a chain-link one.

Larry Slack, 42, is a 23-year employee of the CTA who was known as a "good machinist and a hard worker,'' Salabura said. Constance Slack, also 42, is believed to work at La Rabida Children's Hospital, he said.

Both parents have been charged with first-degree murder and also aggravated battery of a child for the alleged beating of their 8-year-old son, also on Saturday night.

The Slack's five other children all showed indications of physical abuse. They were taken into state custody and placed with relatives, authorities said. Larry Slack was treated at Advocate Christ Hospital and Medical Center Sunday night after allegedly attempting to kill himself while turning himself in to police at Area 2 detective headquarters. He was in the Central District lock-up Monday.

In a statement Monday, the Slack family said it was cooperating with police.

"We loved Laree dearly,'' said Leroy Slack, who identified himself as Larry Slack's uncle and a family spokesman. "We're very disturbed over the circumstances surrounding her death."

Contributing: Cathleen Falsani

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Bastards!

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I concur, Bastards....my in-laws once threw my then 14 year old brother in law into a coat hook, and then was held down by that father as they whipped him with a belt until he was raw....all for "talking back."

These bastards had better hang....

ashi

• Celtic
    Celtic

The Watchtowers stance on Discipline.

WT DEC15 2001 p28

PARENTS - FILL YOUR CHILDRENS NEED!

Children need guidance and loving discipline, especially from their parents. In this regard, a Brazilian educator, Tania Zagury, says: "The tendency of every child is to seek pleasure. It is necessary to establish limits. It is the parents who have to do this. If they do not, the children get out of control."

However, in many lands the influence of a permissive society that exalts personal freedom can make it difficult to follow the above advise. Where, then, can parents turn for help? God fearing parents recognise that their children are "an inheritance from Jehovah." (Psalm 127:3) Thus, they look to God's Word, the Bible, for guidance in rearing them. For example, Proverbs 13:24 says: "The one holding back his rod is hating his son, but the one loving him is he that does look for him with discipline."

The Bible's use of the word "rod" need not be understood to mean only physical punishment; it represents the means of correction, whatever form it may take. Indeed, very often words may be all that is necessary to correct a childs wayward course. Proverbs 29:17 says: "Chastise your son and he will bring you rest and give much pleasure to your soul."

Children need loving discipline to eliminate undesirable traits. Such firm and kind correction gives evidence that a parent cares for the child. Proverbs 22:6) So parents, take heart! By following the sound, practical counsel of the Bible, you will please Jehovah God and gain your children's respect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

When I first read this i was staggered by the WT stance on this, as it seemed to openly be encouraging abuse of childrens rights. Men of the WT, are you not totally ashamed of your twistings of the scriptures and the pain you have directly contributed in peoples lives by admonishment of your counsel?

Shame on you all!!

My heart goes out to her little brothers and sisters.

celtic

• Mum
    Mum

This is worse than any horror story I've ever heard of.

I know the WT is too severe on children, but I don't think even they advocate beating a child to this extent, "biblical" or not.

Pray for abused children.

Regards,
    Mum

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• Andee
    Andee

This story is, indeed, extremely sickening.

However, the JW's do not have the market cornered on beating their children to death in the name of religion. Christianity, especially fundamentalists, believe and regularly, apply harsh corporal punishment as the means to discipline children.

Ok, now that I have written that, I hope those sick bastards get everything that is coming to them.

Andee

• messenger
    messenger

if you wish to see a link to the actual article of 12-15-01 click here
    . http://wt1201.homestead.com/index.html
    It also incluses the article about conscience christmas celebrating.

• Celtic
    Celtic

Thankyou messenger. At least it shows that I copied it properly, thanks for the clarification of the printed article.

peace

celtic

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

This makes me sooo sick. I have a real difficult time with this issue because my parents were extremely strict as well and I was often beaten as a child. Our congregation really believed in the old spare the rod, spoil the child bullshit and if I or my sisters didn't sit still during the meeting, it was an automatic spanking with dad's belt.

I had it easy though compared to other dub kids in the same Hall. My childhood buddy would show me the scars on his back and butt from the rubber hose that was used on him just about every day. If this wasn't enough, my parents would tell me that the elders told them they were TOO SOFT on us kids and that if they had their say in the matter, it would be much higher standards to follow.

This abuse, done in the name of love, damaged my self worth beyond belief. My parents used to slur me with a string of insults to keep me humble. My parents though were not evil people. They were following the advice that was common at the time in the organization so I can't say that my case was more shocking than the next person.

I swore though that after I left the Witnesses that nobody would ever beat me up again and I learned the martial arts. To this day, if I ever see an adult beating up a child, that adult will either be in jail or in a hospital for a good long time. I believe corporal punishment on young children to this extent is a crime against humanity.

Skipper

All great deeds and all great thoughts have ridiculous beginnings--Albert Camus

• TR
    TR

I don't know what to say. Fucking bible. Fucking religious fanatics. Why can't people live their lives without religion?

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit