Terry

It is sometimes easy to be confused by the difference between:

What we call things

and

What they "are".

I'll give an example.

If I make the statement:

Only possible things happen....

I've noticed there are those who will immediately argue with me. The argument will go like this.

"There are plenty of things we think are not possible and they happen anyway."

See what I mean? Confusing perception with reality is my point.

There is an IS-ness to things which is impervious to opinion. We, on some fundamental and mentally healthy level, understand this to be true.

But, not everybody does.

If you don't see that footstool in the dark, it can still trip you on your way to the bathroom.

The car that runs the redlight can still T-bone you.

What you don't see (and can't know) will still bite you on the butt.

Perception of reality is not reality itself.

Yet, only possible things happen. It still bothers some people.

Let's go a step farther, shall we?

We can divide states of "knowing" into steps.

1.Hearsay of mere opinion is one step.

Rumor. Gossip. Urban Legend. The "buzz" on the street. "They say..." "I hear..."

That first step is contagious. But, it may not be the communication of actual information.

2.The second step is informed opinion.

Those who take the trouble to investigate, become students, receive training and accreditation and who measure and quantify inform their opinions. They have a basis on which to build opinion which is detailed.

3.Consensus opinion is the third step.

Consensus brings together (optimally) divergent viewpoints to distill, examine and test. While still opinion, consensus is exposed to more skepticism and compromise than mere opinion or the views of one person who may have prejudices.

4. Data or Fact.

What makes Data or Fact different from the above steps 1--3 is that no compromise is necessary. An established Fact can be tested by anybody anywhere without regard to their natural inclinations or interests.

When people confuse Facts with Opinions they do themselves and their intelligence a huge disfavor. Why? Think of Opinion as a new drug on the market.

Opinions can offer all sorts of wonderous and mysterious claims. Testimonials can pour in to support the view. But, hard and fast testing is absent. Citing only successes and filtering out failures can prove to be deadly or harmful.

Let's take claims about God as an example.

The various Holy Books state opinions as though they were Facts or Data.

When people consider the vast amount of public support (consensus) it is easy to sway them toward accepting the claims of these Holy Books.

Mormons are swayed by the Book of Mormon. Muslims are swayed by the Koran. Christians are swayed by the Bible. And so on.

Yet, one on one, it is mere opinion, informed opinion and consensus not Fact which become confused in religion and claims about God.

How so?

Words!

When we confuse words about things with the things themselves our distortion commences!

We can have words describing things which are entirely fictitious, as an example.

UNICORN.

That is a word which describes a mythical animal that looks like a horse and has one horn in the middle of its forehead.

The King James Bible has instances of using the word UNICORN. This was enough to convince naive persons reading said holy book that these creatures were REAL. The myth was given a kind of supra-reality because of the Bible's seeming endorsement.

Yet, we now know it was merely the odd word choice by translators and not the actual beast with one horn. The idea of a UNICORN was certainly real enough in the mind of the well-educated (for their day!) translation committee. They erred and transmitted the error into the general bible reading population.

Take another word: SPIRIT.

Primitive people noticed that a person's breath left their body invisibly upon death. It was logically assumed (yet wrongly) that what left the body never to return was LIFE ITSELF!

This spawned the concept that the SPIRIT (breath) was your essential self. Various religious ideas became attached over time. The doctrine slowly evolved of what man's SPIRIT was.

In Eden, Adam became a living creature only because God had breathed that pesky and elusive breath (spirit) into him.

The breath became a doctrine all because a semi-logical connection was made and a story built up around this opinion caught on.

Today the word SPIRIT has many connotations equally mysterious, ethereal and insubstantial. When we hear the word spoken it can mean whatever we want it to mean. It is like silly putty.

Back to my main point...

Confusing a word or an idea with the thing it represents is man's trickiest flaw. It is so easily misleading!

Why? Because we love to label everything! It makes it easy to keep track.

But--WARNING! WARNING! DANGER!! DANGER!!

Once we label something, we stop actually thinking about it. We stop actively deciding. We stop analyzing. We cease skeptical enquiry.

What conclusion should we draw?

Be very careful about your words. Be very careful about your definitions. Be very careful about your labels. Once you put them in place: you are stuck with them.

Ask yourself these questions:

1.How much of what I think I know is opinion only?

2.How many key words that make up my world view are really bad lables?

3.When is the last time I re-examined my fundamental premises about things?

These are key questions!

Start by defining:

JUSTICE

TRUTH

SPIRIT

LIFE

EVIL

PURPOSE

You may have fictitious definitions! You may have wrong notions and bad labels!

Just as one example.

Take JUSTICE. I define JUSTICE this way: "Justice is getting what you deserve. This means not getting what you don't deserve as well as getting what you do."

This is why the religious idea of "UN-merited favor" or Grace is ridiculous. It violates JUSTICE. The guilty don't pay and the innocent do. It turns fairness and balance and such upside down.

See what I mean?

Redefining a word can change your world view and destroy even the most enormously erected consensus there is.

NEVER CONFUSE A WORD with the thing it describes. It might not even exist in the first place.

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

Wow, that just went way over my head.

ha ha.

Sheri

• Terry
    Terry

Wow, that just went way over my head.

ha ha.

Sheri

Well, Sheri...try standing on a chair and reading it again!

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

For me the worst words of all are ones which effect negative interpretations in others minds!

These words stereotype the way they will treat you henceforth and indefinitely as if you are on some lifelong trial of acceptance - whether its a psychological issue or sexual one, a religious issue or an intelligence evaluation - everyone is out to label everyone so they know where to place everyone and can discuss the same with like minds!

Interchangeability or the enabling of it is rarely a human aspiration!

• trevor
    trevor

From the wonderful Joni Mitchell describing clouds:

Rows and flows of angel hair,
    And ice cream castles in the air,
    And feather canyons everywhere,
    I’ve looked at clouds that way.

Sound good but here is the other side of the coin

But now they only block the sun,
    They rain and snow on everyone,
    So many things I would have done
    But clouds got in my way.

Actually clouds are simply water vapour and essential to life on earth but what a difference words can make.

Words I am wary of using, because there is no consensus as to what they actually mean, are:

Love

God

Forgiveness

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Once we label something, we stop actually thinking about it

Great point.

Now let's apply that to possibility.

Word or fact?

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Perception of reality is not reality itself.

Yupper. Some Eastern traditions speak of the Yee of a thing - it's essence - as opposed to the label of a thing. Labels are mind stuff. They are convenient. They are helpful for navigating and communicating, but truly mislabelling is always a danger, and is dangerous.

Because we love to label everything! It makes it easy to keep track.

The mind loves to label. I submit we are more than a mind.

Once we label something, we stop actually thinking about it. We stop actively deciding. We stop analyzing.

I wouldn't entirely agree - I would language it, When we label something we often stop engaging with it directly and often only relate to it as a label. We often stop experiencing it directly. But labelling actually helps the mind to decide and compare, and this is helpful as long as we have a consistent and accurate labelling process. Labelling helps us make shortcuts, which is faster and sometimes safer than direct experience. Is the Maytag stovetop hot? Hmm, well, the Amana stovetop was hot, so...

JUSTICE

1) A mythical concept often used to justify revenge; usually poetic in nature. 2) A balancing of the scales when one party hurts another and redress is desired (sometimes merely attempted or artificial).

TRUTH

1) That which is consistently verifiable; can only apply to the physical world. 2) A misnomer applied to a belief that an individual accepts (usage: "Belief in a loving God is your personal truth").

SPIRIT

A word of varying definition depending on context; often completely misunderstood on a semantic level.

LIFE

A story you're telling yourself.

EVIL

Actions made without regard for the well-being of others, or with the intent to harm others.

PURPOSE

The end to which means are employed.

What's my score? ;-)

This is why the religious idea of "UN-merited favor" or Grace is ridiculous. It violates JUSTICE. The guilty don't pay and the innocent do. It turns fairness and balance and such upside down.

...according to Terry's *definition* of "justice", and only if "justice" is conflated to some sort of cosmic "principle" that "God" is subject to.

What if "justice" instead is closer to my definition, and only exists in the mind stuff of humans?

Narkissos says:

Now let's apply that to possibility.

Word or fact?

"Possibility" is a label. It describes a potential for something to exist. Since you can validate only the actual and only postulate the possible, it's a word and not a fact.

So sayeth the Eater of the Void.

Was that for extra credit? ;-)

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    Take JUSTICE. I define JUSTICE this way: "Justice is getting what you deserve. This means not getting what you don't deserve as well as getting what you do."

Terry

Where does mercy fit in? Is mercy unfair or "unjust"?

• Shazard
    Shazard

I guess you did nice job of circular reasoning.

Interesting is that you start your topic with statements about tripping in dark about reality biting in your ass. And then you nicely goes that something what bites you can be tested by anyone and anywhere. So which one is it... are facts only those parts of reality which actually trip you, or facts and data could be some part of reality which you have never entered so you just dont have information not speaking about tripping!

You made mistke you were arguing against... You brought down reality to perception! Only now you put mind as the ultimate judge of data and facts. But still data and facts are mind concepts built upon your perception, upon huge amount of different encounters with ass-biting things, but still you can't be sure if this ass-biting thing is really ass-biting thing or you are stupid enough to sit on thorn all the time!

• catbert
    catbert

When you hack a living creature with a sword, a red liquid poors out of the creature and the creature dies.
    That red liquid must contain the life force of the creature.

Genesis 9:4
    "But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit