Mary imperfect, Jesus perfect

by heyfea 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• heyfea
    heyfea

My husband never ceases to amaze me with the things he asks me. Yesterday night he asked me: Why was Jesus born perfect when Mary was not perfect?

I said to him that it should be the same as having a surrogate mother. But, if this surrogate mother has some sickness, it is possible that the baby would get infected, right? So, did Jesus get infected with imperfection?

Heyfea

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I understand the surrogate explanation.

JW's add that Jehovah "protected" the embryo. It wasn't really Mary's seed at all according
    to the JW's. Jehovah implanted it there, the surrogate just transported it around as it grew.

It's all very Egyptian/Greek/Roman Mythology- like. Their gods were always impregnating women.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Another question: how did it help having him be of the proper pedigree thru Joseph if Joe hadn't been "involved" with Mary yet at that point?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

The common belief is that the sin nature is passed through the father/man.

Rom 5:12

Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned--

Eve actually sinned first. Adam is the one responsible.

• heyfea
    heyfea

Romans 5:12 is exactly what my husband was clinging on. I believe that Mary did not pass anything imperfect to Jesus. If she did, then we're all doomed.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Mary was free of sin.

• heyfea
    heyfea

"Mary was free of sin." Is this anywhere in the bible?

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Luke 1:35 says (paraphrased) that Holy Spirit would come upon Mary and the child born to her would be called God's Son.

This probably is a veiled reference to impregnation by an extraterrestrial similar to the angels before the Flood having intercourse with the daughters of men. Notice that men are always called 'sons of God' but women are always called 'daughters of men'.

Therefore, Jesus was, in all probability, an extraterrestrial. All these questions of perfect or imperfect are Paul's take on the sacrifice...really nothing to do with Jesus' actual physical existence - it just fits in with Paul's theology. Remember, Paul never met Jesus or had any dealings with him as a human being. The Gospels were all written long after Paul's letters and the Gospels were written to fit in with the PERFECT Son of God Paul had fashioned.

That's just an ALTERNATIVE explanation, but it does make some sense to me...ok, everybody, don't shoot the messenger!

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. -Luke 1:35

What does it mean when the Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Most High will overshadow you?

Remember this?

Isaiah 6:5,6: "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."

Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."

After that Isaiah was able to accept the commission that God gave him. Could it be a similar case with Mary? That would explain how Jesus could be of the substance of Mary (The lineage of David),and yet not be marred by sin. Her sins would really be washed away and she really would be "full of grace."

• BFD
    BFD

Question: "What is the immaculate conception?"

Answer:
    Many people mistakenly believe that the immaculate conception refers to the conception of Jesus Christ. Jesus’ conception was most assuredly immaculate…but this concept does not refer to Jesus at all. The immaculate conception is a doctrine of the Romans Catholic Church in regards to Mary, Jesus’ mother. An official statement of the doctrine reads, “…the blessed Virgin Mary to have been, from the first instant of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege of Almighty God, in view of the merits of Christ Jesus the Savior of Mankind, preserved free from all stain of original sin.” Essentially the immaculate conception is the belief that Mary was protected from original sin, that Mary did not have a sin nature, and was, in fact, sinless.

http://www.gotquestions.org/immaculate-conception.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit