Who lets it be known that they were once a JW?

by lfcviking 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Borgia
    Borgia

lfcviking, I should say, you may be very proud of the fact you have broken with that backward cult. It is an accomplishment.

When I get to speak about the fact I virtually said adios to that believe system, people tend to be interested in knowing why. And basically, they are not surprised to learn a stronger support to the notion the JW are a cult.....It happens very often we share some of the same ideas to leave behind religion all together...So ,I can only say: very positive responses....

Cheers

Borgia

• blondie
    blondie

I take it case by case. Some people aren't any more interested in hearing about xjws than they are about jws. If someone has a question, I briefly answer it and if they want more, they have to ask. I figure that jws can be egocentric and try not to carry that over in my xjw life. Not everyone really cares.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I tell everyone who's interested why I'm no longer a JW.

This is a small place and practically everyone knows that I used to go around with the magazines.

Now that they don't see me doing this anymore, they'll ususally ask why. I'm only too glad to tell.

Sylvia

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

This was a huge issue for me during the 13-14 years that I was a walkaway believer.

I didn't act 'worldly' but I also didn't bad mouth the org because I thought they may actually be right but just needed a little time to come around and change their ways. Then after so much time of dodging I found the truth about the 'truth'.

Shortly after I found JWD, I posted this thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/82295/1.ashx

The responses and support here really helped me to start letting people know instead of sulking away.

My next big step was two years later when I went to my grandma's 90th birthday party. The first one I remember ever going to. At that party (3000 miles away), I told relative that I was no longer involved in the religion and that I now view it as a cult. I have made some good connections with family and am starting to heal old wounds within my self.

While I don't shout it from the rooftops, I'm not as ashamed or embarrassed about my JW background as I used to be. For everyone I've told, there was only one negative response. It was brutal, but the others have more than balanced that out.

-Aude.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I am going to use my last years to try & undo the lies I preached for 25 years

Thats the spirit Mouthy (Grace) I love your attitude !

In my case I find it so much easier to talk about it all now, since I do not have to uphold it...When I was "in" I used to dislike such informal conversations, perhaps my heart was telling me that what I was saying was not credible.?

Now I can relax, I tell the truth about The Borg , I do not mind admitting that I was stupid enough to follow it, but brave enough to stop when it became clear to me that it was false. I am sure that none of my workmates will ever listen to the dubs...

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

No way. That $hit is embarrassing! Everyone knows the jw's are out there, to say the least.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I still find it a bit difficult to say things to others but I try when I have the opportunity. I recently told my

chartered accountant when the conversation leaned to friends that we really do not have friends we have left a religion that takes it

all away from you including family, and we pretty much stick to ourselves its pretty damn good we get along so great or we'd be in trouble.

hope4others

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Mouthy you are soooooooooooooooooooo funny. ROFL I would just love to go out with you one day and hear you do that. IT would be priceless. I am going to make an effort when the snow goes to drive over and take you to lunch and watch you be "mouthy" LOL.

Myself I rarely ever disclosed that I was a JW for over 20 years. I used to be ashamed of it.

Now I am not ashamed and do offer that I was one when the subject of why I do not have a career or higher education comes up.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Thanks BluesBR for the .. Makes me feel good to know others understand me XX
    Velveeten

I am glad I make any one laugh.... Laughter is good for the soul. & as for the suggestion to come visit GREAT!!!! Would love it.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I tell people I know. Some people think less of me, I think, because of it. I don't care, I'm not ashamed. I did the best I could with what I knew. As they say, when I knew better, I did better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit