Crisis of Consciousness: Finally Got It

by RAYZORBLADE 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Oops, well I had intended to post a message along with this new topic and my fingers were faster than my brain (need more coffee ).

Well, I suppose it's like preaching to the converted; me obtaining this book, but I guess it's one of those things I just needed to do to finalize everything.

I know there are countless topics on Ray Franz' book. But to finally pick it up, I feel like: 'I can hardly wait to read it'.

Before, I more or less figured: 'I am out of the WTBTS, so why bother?'

But perhaps now I am just more welcoming and receptive to it. Not that I was ever afraid of it, but I just honestly couldn't be bothered.

We'll see how the read goes. I am quite certain it'll be an eye opener .

I think I've read more books in 2 months that I've read in my entire life. Go figure!?

Off to read my new book.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

It's a good read, and the author didn't come across as bitter at all.

I still had to keep an eye on my blood pressure while I was reading it though.

W

• Hermano
    Hermano

It's an excellent book. Be prepared though, it may stir up some memories which will make you angry. Depending upon how "faithful" a witness you were and how much you beleived all the crap you may feel a bit numb at finding out how great the deception was.

• bite me
    bite me

I still have not made it through yet. From what I have so far it has been interesting. I'm afraid (what for?) that I'll be 'caught' by one of my friends or family in the religion. I think I am afraid for what they will think of me for having it, let alone reading it. How would I explain my reason for it?

Trying to prove them wrong? No, not at all. It's more for proving myself right for not believing what they do.

Has anyone actually used this book to witness to their loved ones of the lies the religion holds? If so, where you sucessful?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I remember when I first started reading CoC way back in 2005. What a journey it has been since then!

• seek2find
    seek2find

I read it in 1996 and don't have a copy anymore because mine got destroyed by my wife when she found out I read it. There were several interesting parts. One was about the tape that was made and how he was promised a copy. But then later when he requested it. His request was denied. I found that interesting, because I understand that taping a JC meeting is prohibited. Maybe this is where that rule got started. Tho I didn't know Ray himself,I did know one of the Prominent persons mentioned in the book, so I felt a little closer to the story than some. I hope you enjoy the read. seek2find PS don't let anyone destroy your copy :)

• hubert
    hubert

What's great about this book is that if you still have any "guilt" feelings about leaving the org, you won't have them anymore after reading this book.

I don't know if anyone had success with getting someone out from reading this book, but I'm sure it enforced their views if the person read it. There may be many that I don't know of.

But, I've noticed that many here that still had any doubts about the W.T. NOT being the "Faithful and Discreet Slave", changed their minds after reading it, and realized the Watchtower is just a sham.

Hubert

• sosad
    sosad

it's on my bookshelf - the main one that you can see from the front door or any of the more comfortable chairs in the living room. i have often wondered if my jw family has noticed it. When I see the "prefectly fanned mags" on their coffee and end tables when we visit I am often tempted to pull it out when they drop by

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

There, that's better.

I knew I was still a big boggy in the head when I posted this. Moreso that here's the book and I look at the original spelling of my topic and whoa! did I get it wrong.

For the record: Crisis of Conscience

There!

Tried to correct it here, but settings on the site will not allow it.

Not worried about the book being destroyed or ruined. My pet birds do not particularly like the taste of paper.

I've fanned through the book quickly; taking a look at the overall appearance and layout.

Should be interesting.

As to how 'faithful' one was as a JW. Hmm? Reminds me of an old post I made years ago about 'Grades of Disfellowshipping'. That's the first thing I thought of. Hmm?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/56556/1.ashx

I'm sure this book will probably open my eyes to just other workings that I was not privy to. Preaching to the converted, no doubt. But things about the inner workings of the organization, I'm sure, will probably astonish me to some varying degree (not really surprising). For years, I just didn't need any convincing (hell no, I am NOT going back).

Having been out of the WTBTS for now...let's see, almost 24 years; I have no fear of any reprecussions.

From this point of in my life, reading this will probably just add to my pile of 'excellent reading material'. Perhaps, a good reference book to someone who may need some inside information about the WTBTS.

I'll get back to you all here, eventually, once I close the back cover.

• StAnn
    StAnn

After years and years of being out, I was still shocked by this book. Mostly about the revelations about Malawi, because I can remember writing letters to the government leaders there, asking them to stop the persecution. To discover the true story behind it was shocking.

I have a friend who is leaving after spending several years at Bethel. What he saw at Bethel is what has caused him to leave. He read CoC and said nothing in it shocked him or even surprised him because it is so typical of what still goes on there. I guess Bethel is not the paradise on Earth it's touted to be.

The biggest thing, overall, that got me about this book is the title, Crisis of Conscience. It seems Ray Franz was one of the very few in the GB who had a conscience at all, yet they have the audacity to put out books and magazines talking about a bible-trained conscience, etc., when they have absolutely none themselves. Even though I don't agree with Ray's current religious beliefs as explained in his followup book, In Search of Christian Freedom, I have to admire him for being true to himself and following his conscience. How many of us would have chucked our life's work because of our consciences?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit