Why Religion?

by hillary_step 50 Replies latest jw friends

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

HS - I have some more thoughts to share on your thread - lol

I think with any set of beliefs - religious, scientific, - we do need to see them as our own inventions and take charge of them. Whatever we make can be very powerful but clumsy too - useful and empowering on the one hand but capable of destruction and cruelty as well (block4 religion and science in context - Open university ).

I don't agree with you when you say religion reflects insecurites and is infantile but I agree that like any other powerful compelling construction it needs to be controlled and must be held accountable. To accomplish that there is a need to dispell some of its mystery and its claim to being 'universal truth' that everyone must adhere to. But that imo is the difficult part because each believer has to do it individually and participate in doing it collectively. What is the way out - discussion and debate - even heated .

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I'm not going to read all those posts....

Most people that I've come across in organised christian religion believe they are right and their leaders of the church are (mostly) right and their interpretation of scripture is (mostly) right. When I come with a why not look at that spiritually viewpoint I'm pretty much shot down by every body - I'm always wrong - so I just keep quiet these days - what will be will be and when our days have come to pass we shall all come to the truth of it I'm sure.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Why religion?

Religion is like Kindergarten.

It has served a purpose.

But we really need to move on.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I agree....WHY RELIGION!!!!!

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Religion does provide a feeling of "community" that is appealing. If you could have this, without people telling you WHAT to believe - that sounds like the best of both worlds to me. I'm just learning that there are groups like this.

• Liberal Quakers
    • Unitarian Universalist
    • And also some Secular Humanist groups

It does sound kind of bizarre - going to church and being left to your own to figure out what (if) god is about. But its somewhat appealing to me to be around people with the same feelings of at least acceptance of others beliefs, and to have an opportunity to compare thoughts in an open environment.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

People look at religion to define within themselves who they are, and try to contain a source of direction in their lives.

The problems arise though when the individual finds themselves directed more by imperfect men rather than a spiritual deity.

Then the faith becomes unbalanced and weak and the person asks why am I here with this ?

Reminds me of an old saying " I went to church one day to get closer to God but all I ever found was man "

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

good thread - bumped for JH benefit

• minimus
    minimus

I no longer consider myself "religious". And I think some people "need" something. Politics, religion, sex, etc.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Jared Diamond in "Guns, Germs & Steel" proposes the idea that as societies grew larger than bands and into chiefdoms and finally nation states, religion helped give "authority" to the government. The government/religion partnership was crucial to keep people with no close family ties from killing each other.

Just another $.02 to throw into the pot.

OM

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I agree Openmind, religion can give a sense of cohesion to a community. It can also serve a useful purpose in that it can give that community a common purpose to work towards which can often be for the overall good of all in it. One example is hospitals and schools and other charities, soup kitchens, shelters, etc. Many religious orders played a large part in establishing hospitals and advancing higher education. So they are a part of the evolution of society. Perhaps we have outgrown them now? We can keep the hospitals, schools, charities, and discard the religion as obsolete.

There are many theories about how the moral development of individuals evolves through stages throughout their lifetime.

Young children do what is expected of them out of fear of displeasing their parents and punishment. Teenagers will often conform if they can be shown what's in it for them.

Young adults will often conform out of social pressure, from work bosses, friends, family etc. Middle aged adults often want to get involved in church communities as a vehicle to give back to their communities and have greater influence in shaping policy and the next generations values.

At the higher levels of moral development, people will often transcend the need for conforming to rules and religious societies. They will do what is morally right because they believe it to be so, whether anyone (church or God) is watching them or not. Fear and punishment and social pressure is not a factor in their morality.

At the very highest level of moral development, individuals may actually work against societal, religious and even legal norms at great cost to themselves because they believe it would be immoral to go along with the community. They may be willing to break the law, go to jail, be shunned or even martyred for what is right.

Well that is one theory. The problem is that the vast majority of the world never seem to evolve to the higher levels of morality that would make organized religion unnecessary. So perhaps it could serve a useful purpose in keeping the masses under control and keep them from wiping each other out. However when the leaders of same religions are just as immoral, greedy and violent as the masses they are supposedly taming, then we have the situation in the world we see today. In this case, we probably would be better off without religion altogether. It's a dilemma because wiping out religion by force could backfire and lead to a situation of total moral anarchy.

If fundamentalist religion is religion in it's childhood or adolescence (the first stage of moral development) then we want to encourage it to grow up. We can't allow it to throw temper tantrums every time it doesn't get it's own way and destroy the house (world). In the meantime, we may very well have to use force to restrain it just as we might restrain an out of control child by force.

I think the only viable long-term solution is to educate religion out of the people, especially the young, until the majority are able to envision a world where humans can work together for the good of society but without the unnecessary God stories to spur them on and motivate them. Perhaps then we will have attained true enlightenment.

Cog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit