unicorns really existed!!

by Witchs Son 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Witchs Son
    Witchs Son

I never noticed those scriptures before but seems that what some translations of bible call Bull is actually a unicorn. I checked several translations, even found this video which made me think. Ok I didn't like the music either, it is not your classic music hit but do check those scriptures and tell me what you think.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=uB9YNbE4k5I

• Witchs Son
    Witchs Son

I think a lot of all legends have been based on reality and this might be one of them. After all what about dinosauros? Many of them looked even stranger. I mean it is possible, right?

My mother in law loves unicorn, her house is full of pictures and small figurines. I should show her those scripture I might get some brownie points

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Hello Witch's son. I don't think I have welcomed you yet. So welcome!

I also believe in unicorns. I also think there are fairies and other creatures we don't know about yet. I think it is pretty conceited for us to think we have discovered all the animals that have ever been.

momz

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

If unicorns existed, where are the remains of one? There are no skeletons of any. It is a mythological creature.

As for the use of the word Unicorn in the old translations here are some of the incidences of the word in the KJV:

Deu 33:17 His glory [is like] the firstling of his bullock, and his horns [are like] the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they [are] the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they [are] the thousands of Manasseh.

Psa 22:21 Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

Isa 34:7 And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

The hebrew word is reh·am'. It is translated in newer versions as "wild bull". Back in those days, Aurochs still walked the earth. This is a type of wild cattle. It is enormous, much larger than our domestic types. IIRC, the last one alive was hunted and killed in Poland around 1500s or so, Julius Ceasar described them as being scarcely smaller than elephants. We have the remains of aurochs in preservation today.

• Witchs Son
    Witchs Son

Thank you momz I too believe they existed as kid I used to dream about things like that but never thought they might be real but now I'm thinking maybe they did walk the earth. After all what about monster of Loch Ness? If that can exist why not unicorn and fairies, it is possible? Who can prove they don't, right?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I think archeology is still finding new fossils of things they didn't know existed. My kids think I am silly to believe it, but fairy tales and fables came from somwhere, like you said.

momz

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

My kids are fully immersed in folklore, and convinced that they are all true in some realm of the world. Gnomes, elves, fairies, unicorns... they even leave little snacks out for the weefolk. I love it and find it endearing, but until there are skeletal remains or proof of existence I'm gonna go with myth. Just as I find Greek mythology fascinating, but doubt it has literal basis.

For now I think most of it comes from a unique trait of humans... the ability and desire to imagine the unimaginable. I also think that a lot of mythology comes from early use of hallucinogenic plants. ;o)

I would not be at all surprised if the unicorn was mentioned in the bible, as mythology obviously already existed then (talking snake anyone?), at the same time... I consider the bible a work of men, so didn't find the argument convincing from a scientific perspective obviously. We have plenty of time to discover remains, and it isn't impossible. I suppose my agnostic perspective is showing- I'm gonna go with myth until I see otherwise, but I don't attempt to prove what can not be proven either way.

Great, now I have the Irish Rovers song in my head. lol.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I am reminded of a video, that my kids hipped me to last nite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus

Even some of the less obvious parts of the Unicorn are in demand.

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

And dragons too.

Although I think maybe unicorn is a mistranslation of a difficult Hebrew word? Any takers?

-ootb

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

They do

They are called Rhinos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit