Chiropractic

by sass_my_frass 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Stretching the back under a hot shower is more effective and more economical.

• oompa
    oompa

some have helped me immensely.....some are quacks (any who hardly do anything, and want regular visits).....My favorite one of all time said "If I can't have you walking right in three visits, you will probably need surgery!" He was tough, and fixed me in one visit every time I had even extreme back pain................................................................oompa

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I was very active at work for years...electric lineman. Climbing, crawling , lifting... I have some arthiris in the spine and hips. a couple of compressed discs Chiropractic has kept me away from the surgeon for over 25 years.

There are good guys and bad in any line of work. It takes a while to find a practice that in not into marketing and insurance hype. The best Chiro I ever used was a little old elderly hippy guy in Florida. He hated insurance and would only work on a cash basis...

I used a guy up north who was excellent. I used a young guy who was good enough but got sidetracked with marketing... He go fired.

Look around...just like finding a good auto shop.........

~HIll

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Who is a believer? I think I might put it in the same cult category as I put Amway and the defence forces.

I'm with you good post. They are very high pressure and want you as a friend for life.

When I was a young man back in the 50's and 60's they were not very prevalent. Now down here in Florida they are every where.

I suspect they keep agravating any condition by manipulating it. I have a book somewhere in my library called "you can be your own chiropractor." I used to use it back in my 30's. It had several moves like laying on your back and putting your legs and feet behind your head. If you do this you will get a stretch and realinment.

Another move lay on your back grab your knees at your chest and rock. Further realignment.

Stand on your head. another realignment.

I think that was it 3 moves and you can adjust yourself as often as you want with out joining the cult of chiropractic.

I have been to the chiropractors maybe 20 times in my life to see maybe 5 different Drs. All except one were high pressure wanted to see me several times a week until armegeddon.

The one who wasnt high pressure was an older fellow back in the 80's with an office in his home and no ex ray machine. He would feel my spine and then do his cracking and adjusting. He never even asked for another appointment. He would just say call me when you need me.

He held himself out to be an oldtime christian who was recommended by another christian co worker.

I think its the ex ray machines and fancy offices and other modern racks and equipment that force them to be high pressure to make their bank notes and mercedes payments.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Quite possibly the answer to this question, is to follow the money. It's only been in recent years that insurance has covered Chiro. That tells me that they must have realized that it works, thus saving them drug and surgery money.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Quite possibly the answer to this question, is to follow the money. It's only been in recent years that insurance has covered Chiro. That tells me that they must have realized that it works, thus saving them drug and surgery money.

Excellent comment.

The other naysayers are showing your ignorance. It is totally based on science. 20 years ago medical doctors wanted to fuse my spine. I said I would try chiropractic first and they said I should go for it. I kept going to my chiropractor when I was in bad pain, and he helped me to NOT have surgery. I am doing great now, better than I had hoped.

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I've used them from time to time since one of my dear friends is a chiro. I think much of is is quack practices (especially NAET and such) but I know my husband (who is extremely physically active and in great shape) gets some temporary knee relief when his knee starts acting up. When I went with tingly/numb fingers that wouldn't go away she fixed it within 10 minutes. I left feeling better and the problem didn't return. But I wouldn't go for just anything.

I have another friend who left his chiro practice and went back to college after deciding it was all false. My friend who is an active chiro, well I love her to bits and she really really believes in what she does. I don't think she intentionally misguides for profit.

I really do not believe in much that doesn't have science around it, and things like the laser that affects you on a "cellular level" simply don't have science behind them. I really think Chiropractors need to start working more in the science behind what they do and contributing to the medical community if they want to be taken seriously.

We're at a time now with technology that Neurophysiologists do have methods of recording the passage of impulses in nerves. They can actually read and understand the nerve impulses in a body, but as of yet there are no definitive studies on how the "subluxations" affect the nerves. The amplitude? the wave pattern? The frequency? Yes they are interconnected, but how really do they relate and to what degree?

I just think we're at a point in technology that these claims need to be backed up with solid data. We should be able to hook someone up, see the nerve interference- adjust them- and see the interference removed if chiropractic is going to be taken to the next level and be accepted as a factual science. We have the technology for this... so it is time we used it or acknowledged that we don't really understand chiropractic. And chiropractors haven't been able to detail how it works in a scientifically accepted way... that highly discredits them to me.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

seems that most pro sports teams keep a chiro on staff from what I've heard. Those guys get more stretching and flexibilty work than most of us do, working with trainers they have. Once a joint locks sometimes it takes a lot more that stretching to get relieve.

I know of 4 carple tunnel folks who were slated for surgery ... I got them to go to a chioropractor and the symptoms were from sublaxations in the neck.

I know in my case , neuro and back surgeon have "thought" I need every thing from disc removal to fusion.

~Hill

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

That just tells me that they're happy to pay small to people who want to believe it works than pay out big if they went for surgery; the only other option they've found. Not that I can imagine a level of pain so bad that I'd be willing to even entertain the thought of discussing the possibility of surgery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit