Lovers of Freedom and Womens Rights please Sign

by llbh 12 Replies latest jw friends

• llbh
    llbh

Please sign this e petition at this newspapers website.

An Afghan Journalist has been sentenced to death for reading an article on Womens Rights. this is outrageaous imo. We in the western world take freedom of speech as a given, this brave journalist has been sentenced to death for questioning why the rights of women should be curtailed by bigoted men in his country.

I was so sad and upest that i am posting the link here http://www.independent.co.uk/ to the newpaper in the UK spearheading a campaign to put pressure on the Afghan governmet to overturn this egregious judgement. If you click on the hyperlink above you can very quickly find the link to the e petition.

I have no idea whether signing such things has any influence, i do know that if we do nothing, the people who behave in such a terrible fashion, will not know how we in free countries feel about such behaviour

If you have time read the newpaper article

Regards David

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Thank you David, heartbreaking. I don't know about these things either but I did sign the petition just in case.

• DT
    DT

I signed it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• llbh
    llbh

Thanks guys we can do little but put pressure on these terrible people who oppose such basic freedoms.

1 minute of our time is worth it to try and make a difference

David

• rekless
    rekless

we signed all two of us.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

~signed~

It is interesting to note from other articles:

Yaqub Ebrahimi, who works for IWPR (Institute for War and Peace Reporting), told me that his brother was being punished for articles and reports that he [Yaqub Ebrahim] had written about local warlords and violators of human rights.

"We feel very strongly that this is a complete fabrication on the part of the authorities up in Mazar, designed to put pressure on Parwez's brother Yaqub, who has done some of the hardest-hitting pieces outlining abuses by some very powerful commanders in Balkh and the other northern provinces," IWPR country manager Jean MacKenzie says.

MacKenzie notes that authorities in Balkh had searched Ibrahimi's computer and taken contact details of sources, adding that "we feel that what is happening with Parwez is not a very veiled threat against Yaqub Ibrahimi."

and

Abdullah Attaei, an expert in Shari'a law who studied at Al-Azhar University in Egypt, tells Radio Free Afghanistan that the verdict does not appear to be in line with Islamic law.

~Merry

• avishai
    avishai

Yeah, merry, but neither does alot of things in the JW's people get DF'd for. Biblical law that is. Islam ALLOWS that kind of repression, it's not "specific islamic law".

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

My husband and I both signed. ( I told him to )

momz

• llbh
    llbh

Thank you Merry

I did not want to upset you because i read your posts and respect your views. though i am not always in agreement. Your signing this petition is very welcome

Regards

David

• Borgia
    Borgia

Signed!

Cheers

Borgia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit