Can I have an a la carte' baptism?

by DJPoetech 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa

sorry gopher....I should have said rodent............oompa

• tula
    tula
    Oompa, did you call me?

Gopher...I am amazed at the way you show up....right on key!!!!

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Pesky rodent...! How are you?

DJP: It sounds like you may be asking for too much logic in the forum of organized religion...

Avi: Thanks for the baptism! I feel tingly...in a good way...

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

PS - I don't recall Russell getting re-baptized as a Bible Student...?

• DJPoetech
    DJPoetech

VoidEater: Religion went off when someone wanted to organize it....

tula: scriptural requirements for baptism? Well from your personal reading of the bible what do you understand? Do you think that God would hold you to a standard that you yourself may not understand? God reads each man's (or woman's) heart. I'm sure if you never get baptised God will read your heart. If you read the bible and see in there a desire to be a part of Christ's Body by Baptism and Communion then God will read your heart. No one has the perfect vision of what God wants and no one should put you in a box. Jesus yoke is so loving that most people can't see it for what it is.

• tula
    tula
    tula: scriptural requirements for baptism? Well from your personal reading of the bible what do you understand?

What are the church prerequisites is more what I meant.

Does it require fasting?

Does it require a written test?

What does your religion require before "they" will agree to baptise you?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

At the last church I went to, they accepted my word that I was baptized. It was a baptist church. They would like it if you have a certificate or if you have your old pastor write a note that says you were baptized.

They didn't care WHAT church I was baptized in, so long as I did it cognizantly and as a Christian. They would not accept infant baptism, but they would accept just about any denom. so long as it was in the name of the Father, son and holy spirit (JW wouldn't count).

Joining was after I requested to do so. They had classes, but were not required for baptism or membership, although they were encouraged for membership.

Some churches do it different, but that was your standard SBC. And the baptism would work in any church except fringier ones and cults. I know the JWs won't accept it, the LDS doesn't, but the RC church will and most other denoms do not feel that a christian is any less christian because of being baptized in another christian church.

Shelly

• tula
    tula
    They had classes, but were not required for baptism or membership, although they were encouraged for membership.

I thought you got a free membership with the baptism.

• DJPoetech
    DJPoetech

tula: Different churches will look at there own particular checklists for who maybe acceptable. I try to keep my eye on what the bible shows me.

I am a fading JW and as a Jehovah's Witness you must study the proper study materials then have and interview with one or two elders. Then make an appointment at the next convention. Oh and by the way you may want to make a personal prayer to Jehovah about your decision. The JW's say they are in the "truth". I dare say they don't have enough of it.

Colosians 2: 8 Look out: perhaps there may be someone who will carry YOU off as his prey through the philosophy and empty deception according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ; --

11 By relationship with him YOU were also circumcised with a circumcision performed without hands by the stripping off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision that belongs to the Christ, -- This is a personal relationship without help. Through earnest searching and prayer on your part

12 for YOU were buried with him in [his] baptism, and by relationship with him YOU were also raised up together through [YOUR] faith in the operation of God, who raised him up from the dead. -- The baptism is symbolic. If your heart leads you to make that step by emersion or sprinkling, no one should stop you. If your heart doesn't, no one should judge you.

14 and blotted out the handwritten document against us, which consisted of decrees and which was in opposition to us; and He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.-- Jesus eliminated an organization that was confirmed through blood line, the Israelites. How can any man made church after that compete. We are baptised into a relationship with Jesus. I could care less what any church or man can say about that.

18 Let no man deprive YOU of the prize who takes delight in a [mock] humility and a form of worship of the angels, "taking his stand on" the things he has seen, puffed up without proper cause by his fleshly frame of mind, 19 whereas he is not holding fast to the head, to the one from whom all the body, being supplied and harmoniously joined together by means of its joints and ligaments, goes on growing with the growth that God gives. -- This is Christ Body and what we baptise into. This body is the only church I recognize. Churches today should be "shepharding congregations".

If you want to fast, let it be YOUR decision. Anything else is pleasing men. If you want to take the test, let it be YOUR decision. But don't do it to prove it to any man. The test and fasting proves nothing to God. The only requirement is that you love God and want to please him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit