Evolution is a religious teaching

by lrkr 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Scientific conclusions are drawn on established probabilities from factual evidence , such as the case with evolution and is not taught as a social awareness

or its not intensionally attempting to do so.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

"Facts" are percieved and interpreted by humans, and most of us are not perfect. If we are imperfect, then any work that comes out of us also has the potential to be flawed, or a better word choice- incomplete.

Has there ever been mistakes made with regarding the interpretation of scientific facts?

Facts stand on their own, they do not depend on us for their existence, often what we call facts are just our current perception of what we can observe or conceptualize.

I wish that people who argue for any belief-religious or scientific or political-could just have an ounce of humility and acknowledge "There's a chance I could be wrong." or be able to say "I don't know."

• 5go
    5go

"Facts" are percieved and interpreted by humans, and most of us are not perfect. If we are imperfect, then any work that comes out of us also has the potential to be flawed, or a better word choice- incomplete.

Has there ever been mistakes made with regarding the interpretation of scientific facts?

Facts stand on their own, they do not depend on us for their existence, often what we call facts are just our current perception of what we can observe or conceptualize.

I wish that people who argue for any belief-religious or scientific or political-could just have an ounce of humility and acknowledge "There's a chance I could be wrong." or be able to say "I don't know."

Which is why I am a gnostic/atheist I will only believe my own theology when I find sharable proof it's right till then I am an atheist in practice.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Roller-dave,

Just to pick on one of the the things you have said, so what has entropy to do with evolution?

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

For the sake of playing the devil's advocate, I think I might be able to reconcile that statement. I've been thinking about this lately in fact. WQhat makes a belief a religious belief. My theory is that when you believe in something parially but you leave room for doubt and the fact that you might be wrong, at that level of belief it wo7uldn't make sense to worship that thing believed in because of the doubt factor. In other words, if you worship something then chances are you believe in that thing 101%. You are sure, positive and you'd even lay down your life for that belief. This could potentially be true of evolutionists. If they are so convinced of its truth that you no longer have an ounce of doubt, then it might be said that you admire and treat with great esteem and have emotions about that thing such that you have this warm and fuzzy feeling for the evolution theory, it starts to sound dangerously like worship. In my opinion, evolutionists especially need to maintain a healthy amount of doubt lest they become dogmatic, which is an unscientific stance. So, that's about the best I got to offer on this subject.

Oh wait I never finished my thought. So, in other words, a belief becomes religious (and I understand that this would be coining a new definition of the word) when you cease to maintain a healthy amount of doubt about a belief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit