A claim to Beth Sarim

by Gary1914 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

My great grandmother, who has been in the truth forever, just told us a funny story and I thought I would share it with all of you.

We were discussing Judge Rutherford and she said that she was living in California at the same time as Rutherford was living in Beth Sarim. The papers at that time ran an article about Rutherford and that Beth Sarim had been purchased especially for Moses, Abraham and other old faithful servants.

Well, one day a hobo came to the door and claimed that he was Abraham and that he came to take possession of his home. I don't know what Rutherford was expecting but instead of welcoming this "prince" to his new home he called the authorities to take him away. The hobo protested all the while he was being lead away, saying that he was Abraham and the house was his.

Well.... anyway....... we all thought it was funny.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

ROFL!

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Maybe he expected Abraham to show up in a limo. Idiot...

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

It is funny and I believe that Rutherford never believed what he claimed. He just wanted to live in the lap of luxury. He wouldn't know Abraham if he bit him in the a$$.

thanks for the laugh

orangefatcat

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

yeah, that is funny. In all the time I lived within blocks of Beth Sarim, I never went over to look at it. Now I'm curious - of course it's a lovely neighborhood looking over Mission Valley. Wish I had taken a look at it when I lived there. I wonder how many people thought it would be funny to go up, knock on the door, and claim to be one of the prophets.

• Black Sheep
  • freetosee
    freetosee

lol

Thanks for sharing!

• poppers
    poppers

Who was crazier, the hobo or Rutherford for building Beth Sarim in anticipation of such a bizarre notion?

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

And how I ask you would these princes actually get to america??? what a fool he was.

• sir82
    sir82

An oddity from that article...it gives the count of "Bible Students" as 1 million in 1930. Isn't that number a phenomenal exaggeration?

I don't think, even before most of the Bible Student groups broke away, that they ever reported even as many as 100,000 at any time. Wonder where they got the 1 million count from?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit