My First Witness to a Witness

by Cold Creek Swimmer 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cold Creek Swimmer
    Cold Creek Swimmer

So, I don't start many topics here, but I felt this needed to be shared.

I had just landed at the airport and was walking out of the concourse when I noticed a stand that had been set up by an obviously married older witness couple. They were very patiently waiting behind their counter covered with the latest publications. I walked by them on my way out, but could not resist going back and for the 1st time in my life trying to argue against their beliefs. I happened to have the Jan. 15th study tower with me. (Yes Rockhound, the same one I promised to send to you.)

I started by asking them to confirm that Witnesses don't celebrate any holidays. Yes this is true. I had them confirm that this was in general because of the pagan origins of most holidays and that God would not want anyone involved in such practices. Yes again.

This is the best part. Imagine me, with a goatee talking to them as if I am not too familiar with their beliefs. What do I do? I pull out the study Tower to ask a question. Priceless is all I can say when they saw me with that magazine. 1st question out of his mouth was where did I get that. I just smiled and said "I have my sources." They were quite surprised so I said "Yes I know, this is a members only magazine." They actually agreed with me. It was great. I could have walked away right then and been satisfied, but as I am a glutton for punishment, I plowed onward.

At this point I actually handed him the magazine and asked hin to read a paragraph on pg. 24. I then asked him how Jesus chose the witnesses as his earthly religion. Bah, blah blah Matthew blah blah faithful and discrete slave, blah, blah, blah. You all know the standard answers. I then said, "You haven't answered my question. How did Jesus chose them?" Blah blah blah. Another no answer comment. I chose to drop that line for a moment and went in for what I thought was the topper and would stump him. "If witnesses don't celebrate any holidays because of the obvious pagan involvement, why did Jesus chose a religion that was steeped in paganism? The witnesses back then celebrated everything. How could God and Christ chose something so contrary to their principles?"

They didn't miss a beat! "Witnesses are the only religion that when they realize something is wrong, they change their practices. They come right out and admit their mistakes and move on. The light getting brighter blah blah blah." I interrupted him to say that maybe he should read that part of the bible about the light getting brighter because it has nothing to do with what he is talking about. Told him to read it in context. At this point it just turned into another blahfest with the standard glazed over "I'm happy to be a drone" look in their eyes. I realised that what I thought was brilliant deduction on my part was just another apostate teaching in their eyes.

I did however still make the point that the basic bible truth hasn't changed in 2500 years, but the religion they are part of has completely changed in 150 years. I told them that today if I were a witness and believed as witnesses did in 1918, I would be disfellowshipped for apostasy. Then I said I find it quite interesting that Jesus would chose an apostate religion as his own. Another blahfest was the only response. At that point I knew that I need to be much more prepared next time I use this line of reasoning. I still think it is valid and will be useful if only to get 1 or 2 to start thinking.

One more thought. I did leave them with a parting shot to which they had no reply. After admitting I got the magazine from my wife and letting them know I grew up Jehovah, I told them thatI had spent many our trying to prove the 607 date. My biggest point was that the book that the WTBS quotes in support of this doctrine does not even read as it is quoted. His only response was that he couldn't speak to that because he hadn't looked into it. I said that when I realised that they had purposely misquoted an article I knew something was wrong and it was time to move on. And so I did.

CCS

• Confession
    Confession

Way to go, CCS!

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

That was awesome...

I'm sure it made you feel good and glad you went back to confront them. I'm sure the looks on their faces was classic!

• DT
    DT

Good job and good reasoning. I think it would be very unusual for a serious dub to admit doubts while he is trying to save people, but if you ask good questions, he might give it serious thought later. It makes it hard to know if antiwitnessing is doing any good, but it could have an effect, even if it takes years.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I'm sure, however, as you walked away, he and his wife shook their heads in pity for you and said something like,

"see what happens when you lose Jehovah's spirit. Satan gets right in there and just hardens your heart. Such a shame."

(making zipping gesture right over my head)

But, maybe a seed or two dropped somewhere in the margins of their minds and might sprout later when the situation is right.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Yes it's always good to drop little seeds. One chat won't cure them in a day, so it's not worth trying. Instead, they need to hear arguements in different forms to help get them thinking and doubting. Well done CCS, next time, yes, be more prepared, you can never be too prepared seeing as they have Theocratic pep-talks every week.

My biggest point was that the book that the WTBS quotes in support of this doctrine does not even read as it is quoted. His only response was that he couldn't speak to that because he hadn't looked into it.

This comment interests me. What book do JWs misquote from?

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

excellent job. you did great. you cut them off at the right times, you turned their world UPSIDE DOWN and they know it.

• erynw
    erynw

Sweet!

• Gregor
    Gregor

Great job, CCS! Too bad you didn't have a can of pepper spray, you could have saved all that palaver!

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Thanks so much for sharing. These are my favorite topics to read! :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit