Fornication - What does it really mean?

by cognac 14 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

I've done research on the subject and realized that it really is talking about whoredom when its referenced in the bible. Any other points regarding that word?

• Layla33
    Layla33

My experience is that fornication is anything they want it to mean regarding aspects of your sexuality and engaging in such acts with someone that is NOT your spouse.

I have more to say on this subject, but I am curious to read what other's will say.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Fornication - What does it really mean?

It's been so long I've forgotten.

W

• kwr
    kwr

Formally Unknown Carnal Knowledge.

• JK666
    JK666

cognac,

If you weren't married, I would show you.

JK

• cognac
    cognac

If you weren't married, I would show you.

JK

That was shocking!!!

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Yes it's true, in order to have pork chops, you have to live with pigs.

Regarding that word, it's just another version of the "F" word. Truly vulgar, ad if a JW says it, it's even more disgusting and creepy-especially for one of Jehovahs flock to think it's ok.

• Bryan
    Bryan

We had new topic on this lately, but search seems abit slow this morning.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    I've done research on the subject and realized that it really is talking about whoredom when its referenced in the bible. Any other points regarding that word?

cognac you're right about how the Bible references the word fornication. I looked it up at www.dictionary.com here is what it said:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

for·ni·ca·tion alt / ?f?raltn?'ke?alt??n / Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation [ fawr-ni-key-shuhaltn ] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun

1.voluntary sexual intercourse between two unmarried persons or two persons not married to each other.
    2.Bible . idolatry.

[Origin: 1300–50; ME fornicacioun < LL fornication- (s. of fornicatio). See fornicate 1 , -ion alt]
    —Related forms for·ni·ca·to·ry alt / 'f?raltn?altk??t?ralti, -?to?ralti / Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation [ fawr-ni-kuh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee ] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation , adjective

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
    Causes of InfidelityThere's more to affairs than infidelity. Discover the causes.
    www.drreenasommer.com
    Sponsored Links
    AdulteryTips For Understanding Infidelity & What To Do About It.
    www.LadiesHomeJournal.com
    American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
    for·ni·ca·tion (fôr'ni-ka'sh?n) Pronunciation Key
    n. Sexual intercourse between partners who are not married to each other.

Word History: The word fornication had a lowly beginning suitable to what has long been the low moral status of the act to which it refers. The Latin word fornix, from which fornicatio, the ancestor of fornication, is derived, meant "a vault, an arch." The term also referred to a vaulted cellar or similar place where prostitutes plied their trade. This sense of fornix in Late Latin yielded the verb fornicari, "to commit fornication," from which is derived fornicatio, "whoredom, fornication." Our word is first recorded in Middle English about 1303.
    (Download Now or Buy the Book)
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    AdulteryFast, Relevant Local Information. Find Adultery Here!
    www.local.com
    Sponsored Link
    Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
    fornication
    c.1300, from O.Fr. fornication, from L.L. fornicationem (nom. fornicatio ), from fornicari "fornicate," from L. fornix (gen. fornicis ) "brothel," originally "arch, vaulted chamber" (Roman prostitutes commonly solicited from under the arches of certain buildings), from fornus "oven of arched or domed shape." Strictly, "voluntary sex between an unmarried man and an unmarried woman;" extended in the Bible to adultery.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

WordNet - Cite This Source - Share This

fornication
    noun
    1. voluntary sexual intercourse between persons not married to each other
    2. extramarital sex that willfully and maliciously interferes with marriage relations; "adultery is often cited as grounds for divorce" [syn: adultery]

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

for·ni·ca·tion (fôr
    n.

Sexual intercourse between partners who are not married to each other.

forv.

The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
    Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

Main Entry: for·ni·ca·tion
    Pronunciation: "for-n&-'kA-sh&n
    Function: noun
    : consensual sexual intercourse between two persons not married to each other

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
    Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law - Cite This Source - Share This

Main Entry: for·ni·ca·tion
    Pronunciation: "for-n&-'kA-sh&n
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Late Latin fornicatio, from fornicare to have intercourse with prostitutes, from Latin fornic- fornix arch, vault, brothel
    : consensual sexual intercourse between a man and esp. single woman who are not married to each other; also: the crime of engaging in fornication —compare ADULTERY
    NOTE: Where still considered a crime, fornication is classified as a misdemeanor.

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
    Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

Fornication

in every form of it was sternly condemned by the Mosaic law (Lev. 21:9; 19:29; Deut. 22:20, 21, 23-29; 23:18; Ex. 22:16). (See ADULTERY.) But this word is more frequently used in a symbolical than in its ordinary sense. It frequently means a forsaking of God or a following after idols (Isa. 1:2; Jer. 2:20; Ezek. 16; Hos. 1:2; 2:1-5; Jer. 3:8,9).

Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

The definition given here goes along with what I was taught as a JW, it has many meanings some of the meanings symbolic such as when the JW's refer to Babylon the Great and Christendom committing fornication, bla,bla,bla....

• delilah
    delilah

Well, in my old congregation, Fornication was something only one of two elders got away with....but anyone else found to have engaged in it, was df'd.

t'was the best I could do for now, sorry....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit