My Comprehensive Introduction

by Fadeout 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Sorry… since I’m not DFd and still have family in the org I’d like to remain in contact with, I have to keep this deliberately vague.

Raised a JW, I was never considered “zealous” but was always “good.” The kind of guy that gets encouraged to “reach out for privileges.” Fortunately parents did not demand more.

I can’t complain; home life was good, Mum was loving but depressed, Dad was non-JW, alcoholic and incapable of normal interactions with adults but OK with kids. We weren’t dirt poor; what more could I really ask for?

I was always smart… damn, I was too smart. Started reading at age 2, Scored straight 99s on my assessment tests when I first entered school in 6th grade (homeschooling is good for some parts of the brain but not for others).

Never was good with people. Ate lunch by myself through my senior year of high school… who does that!? Even Napoleon Dynamite had Pedro.

I realized in 1995 that the generation change was a disturbing development. I was a teenager, thoroughly indoctrinated and did not have the internet, so the fact that the rest of the religion was “the Truth” kept me believing long enough to make the mistake of getting baptized, because I was getting to that age where if I didn’t, I wouldn’t be able to hang out with the other JWs anymore.

Only after a period of missing meetings did my doubts really progress. The indoctrination sessions are very important for keeping the credulity meter in the red. In the interests of having knowledge both pro and con, I read CoC by Ray Franz who immediately became my hero. I read his second book as well which really got to the heart of a lot of issues. And yet, this man, who saw through the elaborate WT deception, could not follow his arguments to their logical conclusion and see the Bible itself for what (I feel) it really is—a great work of human literature.

I’m in my 20’s, I’m a musician, I tend toward libertarian views, I’ve never dated (anyone), I enjoy The Simpsons, Futurama, South Park, sketch comedy, playing sports, science, business, debate, philosophy, classic literature, and alcohol.

Life is not fair. Life is not cruel. There are no blessings, and no curses. Life is like the ocean. There are forces at work (intelligent or not I can’t say) more powerful than any of us, and if we act in harmony with them we can achieve anything. If we work against them our best-laid plans may be for naught. And yet the element of randomness is ever-present.

One of the biggest adjustments is changing one’s view to see other people as just people, rather than evil scum who need to be exterminated. How you say… it takes you down a peg. We all have different values, different sets of principles. If I am offended that someone judges me despite the fact that I live by my principles simply because they use a different set, how can I rightly judge someone else based on the fact that their values are different than mine? More important to me is that one actually lives by their own values… “To thine own self be true.”

I’ve had my fill of hypocrisy after my years in the WT. P.S. I'm really not a jerk... I just don't know how to do smileys on this God-forsaken board. Also, my sense of humor tends to be drier than the martini you should picture me holding... see y'all round.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Welcome Fade -

Great opening post, enjoying your style immensely. Can't wait to read more.

• DT
    DT

Welcome.

Ate lunch by myself through my senior year of high school… who does that!?

I did that for most of high school. It may have been partly because I was a JW, but I actually found it to be more interesting to read than listen to what most of the others were saying.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Welcome Fadeout

Nice intro. And like most good things that come in time, you will find out how to use smileys.

lol

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Welcome fadeout. Great post. You definitely have style.

Look forward to hearing more.

And don't worry about the smileys - I can't use any of the emoticons as I'm posting from a mac!

:-)

Sam

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving
    If I am offended that someone judges me despite the fact that I live by my principles simply because they use a different set, how can I rightly judge someone else based on the fact that their values are different than mine?

well said fadeout - welcome to JWD - hope you enjoy your stay here with us.

ql

• oompa
    oompa
    fadeo: Life is like the ocean.

you may be my son or twin.........while a 19 year old pioneer....and btw you have to think dumb and dumber is a masterpiece......I knocked on a guys door with my buddy, and the householder..what a description....said his name was wave......of course...waves are bad.....dont be blown about like a wave right?.....anyway he did not want to pay for the wt so we left the door, i told him btw...i am riptide, and my friend here is undertow............oompa

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Oompa, those would be totally badass names for American Gladiator. Dumb and Dumber was great. Jim Carrey is one of my comedy inspirations as is Chris Farley. Hey, just 'cause I appreciate intellectual stuff doesn't mean I don't share the lowest common denominator.

• oompa
    oompa

somehow i knew you were a soulmate..............oompa....or ripple

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello Fadeout.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit