The Bad Songs

by WTWizard 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

This is amusing to someone who has never set foot in a kingdom hall or had anyone making decisions for me about what music I would listen to.

There is truth to there being many sexual and drug references in pop music. The Beatles "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" comes to mind. That said, it hardly makes one want to start tripping on 'shrooms.

The Watchtower sounds like it is run by those homeowner association type prunes. Although, they would have gotten a little of my respect if they banned the following songs:

Have You Never Been Mellow - Olivia Newton John
    I've Never Been To Me - Charlene
    Lovin' You - Minnie Riperton
    Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks
    Muskrat Love - Captain and Tenille
    Sometimes When We Touch - Dan Hill
    Ebony and Ivory - Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder
    Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band
    Feelings - Morris Albert
    Honey - Bobby Goldsboro
    Morning Train (9 to 5) - Sheena Easton
    You Light Up My Life - Debbie Boone (OSCAR WINNING SONG)
    In the Year 2525 (Exordium and Terminus) - Zager and Evans
    Having My Baby - Paul Anka
    Do That To Me One More Time - Captain and Tenille
    Brand New Key - Melanie
    Ode To Billie Joe - Bobbi Gentry
    She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy - Kenny Chesney
    Alone Again (Naturally) - Gilbert O'Sullivan
    These Boots Are Made For Walking - Jessica Simpson
    Escape (The Pina Colada Song) - Rupert Holmes
    Midnight At The Oasis - Maria Muldaur
    Oh Babe, What Would You Say? - Hurricane Smith
    I Am Woman - Helen Reddy
    I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston

• KenseiShimonzu
    KenseiShimonzu

I had to lose most of my Gangsta sh!t when i joined up with the dubs(got all of it back now,and more btw),then some some the more sexually oriented R&B,I remember R.Kelly's "12 Play" was one of the hardest to let go at the time.."It seems like your ready" in particular.

Then there was my gutter sh!t like:NWA,Geto Boys,Ice-T,Eazy-E,Ice Cube,Spice-1,DOC,Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle,LL Cool J,Dr Dre's"The Chronic",Bone Thugz-n-Harmony,...basically the most violent music i could find at that time,that had good beats and samples

Nowadays,I listen to pretty much everything..lots of "Gutter Muzik",and even Rock-n-Roll although mostly from the 60's,and 80's Metal of course,lmao..all with the exception of Gospel,and Country..you might catch me listening to a Country song,however you will never catch me listening to a Gospel song.

What's funny about Rap music is that,although some "purist" complain about it "stealing" samples of other genres music..I have to say,it actually opened my eyes to all the bad ass Rock,and other types of music i was missing,just from the small samples i heard,with a beat,and some gangster sh!t rapped over it usually made me go find the original recording to add to my collection. All in all,i had an epiphany one day..Rap and Rock are the most similar genres of music i can think of...the main theme of both is being rebellious,and standing up for what you personally believe,being a badass,and not taking sh!t from anyone..all of which i can relate to,lmao-KS

• megaflower
    megaflower

Van halen: the whole album- I believe the title was "so you ate one too"

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    Have You Never Been Mellow - Olivia Newton John
    I've Never Been To Me - Charlene
    Lovin' You - Minnie Riperton
    Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks
    Muskrat Love - Captain and Tenille
    Sometimes When We Touch - Dan Hill
    Ebony and Ivory - Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder
    Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band
    Feelings - Morris Albert
    Honey - Bobby Goldsboro
    Morning Train (9 to 5) - Sheena Easton
    You Light Up My Life - Debbie Boone (OSCAR WINNING SONG)
    In the Year 2525 (Exordium and Terminus) - Zager and Evans
    Having My Baby - Paul Anka
    Do That To Me One More Time - Captain and Tenille
    Brand New Key - Melanie
    Ode To Billie Joe - Bobbi Gentry
    She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy - Kenny Chesney
    Alone Again (Naturally) - Gilbert O'Sullivan
    These Boots Are Made For Walking - Jessica Simpson
    Escape (The Pina Colada Song) - Rupert Holmes
    Midnight At The Oasis - Maria Muldaur
    Oh Babe, What Would You Say? - Hurricane Smith
    I Am Woman - Helen Reddy
    I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston

Yes, many of those songs can be taken as "bad". Have You Never Been Mellow is about courtship, at least it can be taken that way. I've Never Been to Me has a line about being undressed by kings and seeing things a woman isn't supposed to see, and yes they wanted me to throw that one away. Sometimes When We Touch is too romantic for their tastes, and suggests fornication impulses. Afternoon Delight is about having sex in the afternoon instead of waiting for night. You Light Up My Life is technically gospel, though it was a huge pop hit. In the Year 2525 hints that judgment day is yet a long way off instead of being imminent. Having My Baby, though it is about refusing an abortion, can be taken as promoting fornication. She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy has the word "sex" in the title. These Boots Are Made for Walking hints at walking into trouble. Midnight At the Oasis is about courtship, and can be taken for fornication.

Notice the speciousness of these arguments. Just because of one line, or a theme that can be taken as bad or misrepresented as promoting fornication, they wanted me to throw away the whole album. I am sure I could find the specious reasons for getting rid of the other songs on the list, as well as just about every song ever made. They can be twisted to say something that they never were intended to, and thus blacklisted. The idiots that studied with me wanted me to throw away music for reasons similar to those I listed above. And so did their whole extended family.

I think I could find something bad about every single one of the 225 songs we are supposed to listen to. I tried that with songs 27 and 61, stating that the singer pretends to be Jehovah Himself without using quotation marks (at least song 113 had the quotation marks and thus only quoted Him without trying to be Him). I thought that was far more serious a fault than some stupid, obscure reference to fornication or other religions. And they told me not only that they could listen to those, but that they should.

Hey, if they can listen to songs 27 or 61, then they should be able to listen to 50 Cent and Eminem, too. At least they do not pretend to be righteous, and they do not pretend to be God Himself. They are filthy, but honest. Give me the gunshots, blatant drug references, and violence any day instead of that Kingdumb Sxxx.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

kurtbethel, I love all of the songs you posted. I do however, draw the line of shoving gerbils up your ass. Had an emergency nurse explain the whole process, mistakes, and extraction (among many other things that are stuck up there and have to be removed). Know a guy who was in Cedars of S. in LA when a very famous actor had to had a gerbil extraction and shared the same nurse. Gross.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    I do however, draw the line of shoving gerbils up your axx.

This is where independent thinking comes into play. The Watchtower Society does not teach people that there is a difference between entertainment and actually trying it at home.

Note that shoving gerbils up your butt, or any other body opening, should not be tried at home. This is one of those stunts, like dancing on a tightrope or many other stunts that they tell you "Do not try this at home". That is the main reason for the Parental Advisory labels and R ratings of movies. Children do not always have the maturity to discern those things. And, unfortunately, the Watchtower Society, by interfering with independent thinking, keeps people in that mind set. The more you think independently, the safer this sort of entertainment will be since you are less likely to try it at home.

That also goes for gun shots, shooting cops and babies, taking drugs, and going 160 MPH in the city. Enjoy the music and movies that do these things, but I do not advise anyone try those things at home.

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

Funny enough one watchower study a few years back warning about music i remember had some of the lighter quotes from eminem in such as " suger coated " .I bet someone sits in bethel palying those songs over and over." Thats just pure filth, bob come listen to this we,ll have to warn them about this in one of our rags".

• wednesday
    wednesday

" Bat out of hell" Meat Loaf (written by Jim Steinman.) The cover of the album was wicked looking-a sliver Harley type bike, heading straight into hell. I was terrified that it was satanic. It really is not bad. Jim Steinman talks about it many times and he says that he got his inspiration for the song from the old song "Tell laura I love her" or "Teen angel" it just sounds scary. It's really a love song, well a love song with a silver motorcycle going into hell and all that. pretty "cool" song. you should see him preform it. It is about 10 minutes long i think

He probably sweats off 10 pounds just doing the song.

I recall when the great apostasy of 1980 happened we all heard that they made all the Bethel boys burn or throw away all their bad albums. I threw away this original 1978 vinyl Meat loaf album. I could have cried. But, years later one of my kids saw one at a garage sale and got it for me.

I still have it.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Funny enough one watchower study a few years back warning about music i remember had some of the lighter quotes from eminem in such as " suger coated " .I bet someone sits in bethel palying those songs over and over." Thats just pure filth, bob come listen to this we,ll have to warn them about this in one of our rags".

One of my dub friends is quite adept at censoring songs and working with media files in general. He would always receive requests from dubs to censor the worst stuff, like Eminem and 50 Cent. Now he doesn't offer to do it anymore.

• KenseiShimonzu
    KenseiShimonzu

One of my dub friends is quite adept at censoring songs and working with media files in general. He would always receive requests from dubs to censor the worst stuff, like Eminem and 50 Cent. Now he doesn't offer to do it anymore.

Back in my dub era,i used to buy all my music from Wal-Mart because i knew it'd be censored..but there was still some censored songs i wouldn't listen to even with the "worldly peoples" idea of censoring..lmao,this from a guy who started swearing heavily at the age of 5,and listening to the worst of the music of the 80's/early 90's such as 2 Live Crew,Too Short,etc..by the time i was about 9 or 10,i knew all the words by heart,even knew the track listing and could basically talk out the entire albums including the "interludes",lmao-KS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit