Concrete Reasons for Being a JW (or member of any religion)

by Mrs. Witness 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• strawberry cake
    strawberry cake

Well...I think some think its a way of controlling their families..(as they can report each other to the elders who police the families with threats of lost privileges, standing in the congregation.) I think also some want a virgin bride, or a partner that is less likely to stray( they hope) Also parents think its a way of protecting their children from delinquency.((I found it strange that 5 meetings a week didn't seem to make more JW kids have the manners/behavior you would expect.)

• Must obey!
    Must obey!

Welcome Strawberry cake

• flipper
    flipper

Mrs. WITNESS- Insanity

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

Being a JW for a long time who really didn't believe much in Armageddon or paradise (or at least being worthy of it) I can say that I personally thought it would be a good place to bring up my kids considering most were living moral lives. I figured the association with others who had the same beliegs somehow would bring stability and structure to our family. So the current blessings outweighed by far the future ones..But then I noticed that there were nicer families who were moral and had values outside the organization. And all the kids inside the organiztion grew up to beliars and manipulators.....hmmm...that got me thinking pretty fast and that was ultimately the last straw...

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Some people are only happy if they're pushing themselves, 'sacrificing all', if you will. We have workmates like this, that try their darndest to appear to be doing more than everyone else, although they are usually less productive. Praying at home and just being good people won't satisfiy their need to excel and be recognized.

I think the biggest attraction to jws is that those who are the 'strongest, spiritually' are the most respected, but in real life, they are idiots and buffoons. At the KH they stand out, whereas everywhere else, they're just dorks.

My parents are like this. They couldn't possibly make friends with neighbors and be equals, they have to be better than others. They have to be the parents, hence they make jw friends who are my age.

• Layla33
    Layla33

I have pondered this many times and I have come up with a few very pausable reasons.

1) Fear

2) Guilt

3) The idea of never having to face death

4) The superficial ideology of being accepted by everyone

5) A large group to choose friends

5a) Keeping connections with friends

6) Not to lose connection with family and extended family

7) To appear righteous while living a double life; masking repression of a sexual nature (notice the incidents of molestation, pedophilia, rape and incest that occur in the JW religion)

8) To deal with mental issues - I want to start an entire thread devoted to this phenomena in the JW religion. Over the years I have come to a conclusion that there are many many people in the JW religion that are battling undiagnosed mental illness or they are enabled because of this cult.

9) People are drawn in of different classes, races because of the illusion that classism, racism, etc do not exist in the organization and are given superficial titles of importance. (If they only knew "the truth" - no pun)

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

Thanks for all your replies.

Layla, great list.

Mr. Flipper, you make me laugh!

• cognac
    cognac

I've just always loved Jehovah and wanted him to love me back. I never liked it when they stressed the new system all of the time. I always thought that you should want to love him whether the new system would be here tomorrow or in 100 years. I've always thought of my worship to him as just me and him. The witnesses were a type of bonus that you got to worship him with.

• Carmel
    Carmel

My religion defines God as an "unknowable essense" so I'm not motivated by "loving Him" and as a minority religion, it is not to be in a comfort zone. I happen to believe it intellectually answers my questions about the nature of man, of his relationship to the Creator and the messengers sent to advance human evolution. Is it easy? In some regards yes, in others, nada. So why do I "belong"? Until I find a better answer I'll stick with what I have. It provides a challenge and a sense of accomplishment when I can enhance the lives of others through my faith. carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit