Disgraceful for a woman to speak?

by freedomfighter 12 Replies latest jw friends

• freedomfighter
    freedomfighter

O.k. If you are going to follow the Bible like the JW's claim, then at least follow all of it !

1 Cor 14:34,35 " let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak, but let them be in subjection, even as the law says. If, then, they want to learn something, let them question their own husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in a congregation."

I'm sure this has been discussed before.

Imagine if the JW's strictly applied this one. I wonder how much increase they would achieve ? When i was "in", this scripture was always glossed over or sugar-coated.

This is an ancient view of woman and disgusting to me. Yes i'm an aussie man and we love our woman and they are equal to us if not - a hell of alot smarter than us.

FF

• megaflower
    megaflower

Well said!! I have known many stupid elders and m. servent. Heck, some could barely read. I attended one cong in Texas and it almost killed me to sit through a bible reading. My 8 year old son at the time could read better yet the women are considered beneath them. The women are there to serve the men, cook, clean and ____________.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Freedomfighter,

Good point. If this scripture were taken literally now then women shouldn't be knocking on doors, should they?

Megaflower,

Your post brought back memories of a congregation I attended where a man who was barely literate was assigned the bookstudy reading. It was painful to endure. In general, they have serious issues about women who are well-spoken, well-educated or with a decent job. I guess it makes them feel inferior.

LHG

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Freedom Fighter, you have the right attitude.

I do think they applied it in the sense that women could not give talks or have any "privileges." They twisted it to their own purpose.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

SPEAKING? WOMEN? WOMEN?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE?

Why are they not in the kitchen cooking?

Why are they not ironing?

Why have they not washed the shirts to iron?

Why are they not washing their dirty kids?

Why are they not baking pies and puddings for the Oldfolks?

Why are they not kneeling, mouths filled?

Why are they not learning deeply delightful words of absolute truth from their janitor husbands?

They should be naked on the bed already!!

HB

HB

• restrangled
    restrangled

Many a woman wound up speaking with a cast iron frying pan upside the head, including my grandmother.

All men take note

r.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

There are only 2 uses for a frying pan..Cooking..And..Wacking a JW upside the head with a frying pan......Thank God JW`s come to the door in 2`s..One go`s in the freezer..The other go`s on the BBQ..Theres nothing like a Cold Beer!..Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

SPEAKING? WOMEN? WOMEN?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE?

Why are they not in the kitchen cooking?

Why are they not ironing?

Why have they not washed the shirts to iron?

Why are they not washing their dirty kids?

Why are they not baking pies and puddings for the Oldfolks?

Why are they not kneeling, mouths filled?

Why are they not learning deeply delightful words of absolute truth from their janitor husbands?

They should be naked on the bed already!!

AHHHHH, I love these words of wisdom!

W

• restrangled
    restrangled

HBate....sounds as if you need a large frying pan upside your head if you are serious.....

Outlaw.....you already know the game, and even if you didn't .....you are way out of reach you scoundrel!

r.

• llbh
    llbh

The world is enriched by women never diminished

An organisation or Cult that does not see this is the poorer for it .imo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit