Are Seventh-Day Adventists a better Church to belong to than being a JW

by jwfacts 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• barry
    barry

Barnhouse and Martin wrote a book called the kingdom of the cults. Barnhouse and Martin in the 1950s met with many theologins during this time and spent hundreds of hours studying SDA material to determine the truth obout doctrines of the SDA church.

As a result of all of this the SDA church wrote a book called 'Questions on Doctrine' following a format of a question by evangelicals and an answer as to what the Adventist position is. At the same time Barnhouse and Martin wrote a book called the truth about Seventh day Adventists. Both books were sold in Adventist book stores and evangelical book stores. The result of all of this study is Barnhouse and Martin put out a statement saying SDAs are are truly christians forming part of the body of Christ and orthodox on central doctrins and they are herodox on some lesser doctrins.

There is a large sector of the SDA church that beleive Questions on Doctrine is heracy that have a large following in the church led by a theologin in America Pastor Andreson and in Australia a lay preacher called Bob Brinsmead led the awakening movement.These people all still remained church members but fought what they beleived the church was apostate. These people and there beleifs still exist in the church today and are what ?I would say are in some ways cultic.

In one SDA church we did have some JW studies become members of the SDA church and the reason they did become members is because they beleived after visiting other churches in the area they felt more comfortable at our bible study than anywhere else because they felt they could speak very freely and there opinions wouldnt be offensive to anyone there.

This openess is a two way sword because when Barnhouse and Martin studied SDAisn they found both trinitarian doctrin and Arian doctrine both with the church logo on it comming out of the churches publishing houses . The official SDA teaching is the trinity doctrine. Barry

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day barry,

How's it down there? warm up here.

Anyway, i think you've illustarted the danger of labels.

IMO if a person identifies as a label rather than a belief system i.e. christian, then we have cause to question.

Cheers, ozzie

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I dont know much about the SDA's, but I highly doubt they are as controlling and manipulative as JW's.

How many things are forbidden in SDA vs. JW's?

Are the SDA children allowed to participate in school sports and other activities?

Are they allowed to celebrate holidays and birthdays?

Is college education discouraged?

• barry
    barry

Gday Aussie warm here too but the dams are now nearly 50% so we might be able to water our lawns soon.

Gday Junction -Guy, The SDAs do all the things a JW shouldnt, they would all just now be taking down there christmas trees, They encourage college and even have there own colleges for higher education. They celebrate birthdays participate in sports and salute the flag. Some dont vote or join the military while others do join the military and vote.

5marme

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well that answers my question. I guess they would be a good alternative to the JW's---hell, just about anything would be a better alternative to the JW's.

So how strict are the SDA's on shunning? Do they try to lie and cover up things like the Watchtower?

• jgnat
    jgnat

The SDA's are very strict about their doctrine interpretation. They have conventions over modifying small points of doctrine. For this quality, I rate them above the JW's in strict observance to bible interpretation. Not that this is always a good thing...

In our divorce recovery group was a former SDA pastor. His wife divorced him. Divorce means automatic removal from office. This poor man lost his marriage, lost his vocation, lost his religion in one fell swoop. Never have I met a man more devastated by his loss. He found love later, but it was outside the SDA.

The Seventh Day Adventists are one group who statistically live longer than the general population. They made the National Geographic issue on ageing. Most agree that their dietary restrictions are a major contributing factor. So eat like a SDA and you might live until you are a hundred. http://news.adventist.org/data/2001/0995375716/index.html.en

• barry
    barry

SDAs dont shun and dont dissfellowship or excommunicate. The most a local church can do is ask you to leave if you were to dissrupt there services.

I think the SDAs do ntry to cover things up about there early history.

I think you are right the JWs may be one of the worst.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well from what it sounds like, they dont seem very cult like.

I doubt I could follow their dietary restrictions, but then again that would be a very small price to pay considering you have much more freedom as an SDA than a JW.

• *summer*
    *summer*

There is no "better" religion, as they are all man-made.

Some may appear shinier on the surface.

But start scratching, and you will soon find cracks in the foundations.

1Corinthians 7:23 You were bought with a price; stop becoming slaves of men.

• barry
    barry

jgnat,

A pastor does have to follow the churches teachings because the church pays his wages and retirement fund. When Barnhouse and Martin studied Adventist doctrine in the 50s they presented the Adventist theologins with a suitcase full of conflicting statements all with the church logo on them and they threatened to label the SDA a cult because of the diversity. The SDA theologins said they would clean things up and were supprised at there findings

A church member has no restrictions on how he may interpret the bible.

Both church members and ministers dont get disfellowshiped. They did dissfellowship before the year 2000 but didnt shun even then.

The SDA church does have reccomendations concerning diet which is followed by less than half of church membership.

When my father visited us for xmas the other week we had turkey for xmas dinner. My dad is mostly a vegetatian we arent vegetarian at all.

For me SDAism is another denomination no better or worse than another

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit