Are Seventh-Day Adventists a better Church to belong to than being a JW

by jwfacts 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

A lot of exJWs need an answer to "where else to go?" and some people seem to need to belong to an organization.

Doing some research on answers.yahoo.com I noticed that both JWs and Mormons come in for a lot of criticism for being manipulative cults. However, Seventh-day Adventists receive some great comments. They are very communal, provide great charities, education and schools.

Would it be a good recommendation to look into joining the SDA's next time i am asked "where else is better?"

• prophecor
    prophecor

I've ran into their community outreach program once while here in the city. Young people who were lovingly and willingly passing out sandwiches and hot soup to the homeless ( myself included ) last year. These young ones were not counting time, but were active participants in attempting to assist people amidst thier struggles, along with passing out thier literature, if that was what you wanted. I was totally moved by thier seemingly honest desire to serve the needs of the community. Socially as well as spiritually. I would offer that as a suggestion, at least as an alternative.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I could be over reading the situation. But, most of the profound and infamous cult leaders of the 20th century had either roots or ties to the seventh day adventist. Just something to think about.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    most of the profound and infamous cult leaders of the 20th century had either roots or ties to the seventh day adventist

Ties at least to the Second Adventist Movement. There is a definite problem with the SDA's eschatology that puts them in a similar basket to the JWs. Apocalyptic, end-of-the-world religions cannot be that healthy as such a concept is perfect for breeding cult hysteria.

As prophecor mentions, they do genuinely good works. For me personally, nothing could be better than being freed from any sort of religious manipulation. I guess the SDAs are a step in the right direction, but maybe not quite far enough.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

My wife's aunt and her kids are SDA....really great people....very kind....

Is the SDA "better" than the JW's?

Terminal jock itch is "better" than the JW's.....

V

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

jwfacts:

Good question and rather timely downunder. You see, it surprises me that downunder the christian 'mob' seem to be blind to seeing what is wrong with 'em! I'm speaking of th evangelicals here, who I would have thought would be holding firmly to their own code, yet they smile when the SDA's are mentioned and simply affirm that they are just another denomination.

That's so much BS and they know it! Yet they would rather vilify the Dubs and the Mormons. In my book, if it's wrong, it's wrong.

Typical of these blind responses is this one from Vernon Williams above,

My wife's aunt and her kids are SDA....really great people....very kind....

Don't people say that of the dubs? Yet their 'niceness' belies the evil they represent. Sorry, that argument doesn't wash.

BTW there were many people who thought Hitler was 'nice' too. That didn't make him good though.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Oz,

Blind response?

Hardly blind....it was an observation of one family group...the comment delt more with the cousins than the SDA...

The SDA as with the Witnessess and every other sect that deal with a "sola scriptura" foundation are, in my opinion, in error. They contain damaging ideas in regard to Salvation.

I would, based on my study and experience, not term the SDA a "cult" however, they are border line..the JWs are fully cult along with the Mormans.

With you in this Journey....despite the slightly "tart" comment of yours, above....

V

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, it's all religion, and religion is, as we've heard before, a snare and a racket. I'd advise someone looking for somewhere else to go try education which teaches critical thinking. Go get an education, learn to think, find out what's going on in the world. Quit asking other people to point out the path for you, you are just shifting from one kind of blindness to another because you aren't taking personal responsibility.

• oldflame
    oldflame

Listen SDA's are a cult too. Look it up ! you have internet. Top three on the list are JW, Mormon, & SDA's

They believe that their way into heaven souly depends on you worshiping the Sabbath on Saturdays. They also believe that eating pork is a sin.

I was married to one !

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day V,

I don't think my comments were that the SDAs are a cult; I was addressing the question which is "are they no better than being a JW?" and on that basis I commented.

I repeat, mainstream christians seem to me (see, I observe too! ) to be just as blind to the error found in the SDAs as they are in the Dubs or the Mormons.

Part of that blind response is to be misled by their smiling faces or their conditional "love".

In the hell hole of Pol Pot's Cambodia, there were examples of peasants being seduced by his winsome smile. (See the book "The Pol Pot Regime" written by historian Ben Kiernan) We all know what happened later!

My point is that tyrants portray themselves as genial benefactors and our being aware of this should guide us in how we viewgroups or organisations.

So, it matters not one hoot how friendly and pleasant are the SDA relatives. Yes, Mrs Ozzie and I have had friendly relations with SDA people too, but it's quite irrelevant. It's whether the code of belief is valid is what matters.

My concern is that searching people may simply be jumping from "the frying pan into the fire" by leaving the dubs and then joining up with some other controlling and/or exclusive group.

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit