Justification of Violent Films

by inkling 25 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Danny-P... my point is made up or not... the gratuitous violence portrayed was not needed to enhance the level of stupidity portrayed in the plot of said film.

Plus the guy was not someone I'd go around...made up or not.

Noting more ..nothing less.

Film used to tell stories.. and those who watched them had to have imaginations.

~Hill

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"Plus the guy was not someone I'd go around...made up or not." >>>>>>>>>>REPLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I understand that you disliked the film - I'm not trying to defend it or anything. It's up to personal taste. However, I was just trying to understand how your comment such as the one I quoted have anything to do with anything. Of course you wouldn't "go around" with a guy like that - he's a fictional character. There are plenty of people in film, literature, etc. who are dislikable characters or people who we wouldn't have anything to do with. But again, what does that have to do with appreciating a given piece of work and learning more about human character? I wouldn't hang out with Bill the Butcher (from Gangs of New York), but that doesn't kep me from enjoying a movie.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

most of my freinds are fictional.what's your point?

~Hill

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"most of my freinds are fictional.what's your point?" >>>>>>>>>>>REPLY>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hmm, OK. I see we're probably on different wave lengths then. ;)

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Honestly, I can only tolerate violence in movies if it's something with soldiers (Gladiator) or police/mob (The Departed). I do mean, "tolerate". I have to be able to look past the violence and see a great film at the same time. Watching violence and horror for the shear joy of it - I can no longer stomach.

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

I have watched almost all Quentin Tarantino's films and I did find the degree of violence disturbing. That was probably the point. In films such a Schindlers List there is a purpose to the film. It depicts something that actually happened. Sin City was so void of any type of plot and seriously just glorified violence. I don't understand the purpose of those types of movies. I remember this independent film titles Happy about a pedophile. I obviously could not stomache the whole thing. Yet it was critically acclaimed. I just kept on thinking how seriously sick our society must be to even make a film like that.

There is a popular show here that is extremely violent. It's about this gang that takes justice into their own hands. Needless to say there has been an increase of violence and gangs among youuth 13/18..Mainly the demographic group that watches the show...The show is on at 9pm supposedly to limit access to smaller children which unfortunately doesn't happen thanks to slacking parents....So do I believe there is a direct link with violent behavior? I sure do!! Definitely in the formative years..Maybe as an adult not as much but there is definitely a desensitation process going on.

I don't watch as violent films now. I will watch a movie with a story that may have some violence in the film but not a whole movie dedicated to how a human can be as concievably cruel to another like in Reservoir Dogs..You know putting it to cool music doesn't make it any easier for me to digest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit