Do you pray for others? Why? (One reason I rejected the Bible)

by AlmostAtheist 18 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

Thank you for the pengiun story, startingover. And thank you for the Frances Farmer essay, almostatheist. I enjoyed them both!

changeling

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I thought she was the one who got a lobotomy. There is also a song about her I believe...can't remember the name though.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Actually the Lobotomy incident was only a rumor...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Farmer

• aniron
    aniron

Dave has a problem

1) Some one who cares for Dave and tells Jerry. Jerry goes to help Dave.
    2) Jerry sees Dave needs help, even though he has never met or heard of him before.
    3) Jerry says “Stuff Dave he's not getting my help."

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

NFL players seem to be an especially prayerful lot. They spend the entire week pumping iron and practicing proper hitting and tackling techniques and then on game day they work themselves up into an aggressive frenzy. And so it happens that in almost every game (at least it seems that way) some guy gets walloped and he just lays there with his eyes spinning in circles in his head, the doctors rush out onto the field, etc., and you all know what comes next. The players gather in a prayer circle! Pray guys, PRAY FOR HIM!

Nothing against football, just the sanctimoniousness of some of the players.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I always saw praying for others as something you do to gain points with God to show him that you're thinking about others. Of course, if you are thinking about others, he doesn't need you to pray for them to know this.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I agree with you Dave. When I realized prayer doesnt work about 4 years ago. I really had to examine the bible and agnosticsm and atheism.

Look at all the people that pray for the pope when he gets sick and still he dies.

At best its a coping mechanism for people who havent spent much time thinking about the big picture.

Also there is a saying desperate people do desperate things. When I find myself praying, I'm in dire straights and desperate.

I wish I was wrong. I wish I could tell you you are full of crap and that praying works. But like George Carlin says the chances of your prayer being answered are 50/50. And thats on readily and easily possible things.

If you try praying to win the lottery your chances are printed on the back of the ticket. 50/50's out the door.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Since I believe that prayer is one part of my psyche trying to reach another part of my psyche, I often "pray" to become a better person - I pray to slow down, remember what patience is, to respond in kindness rather than react in anger...more often, I just contemplate that calm place within me and try to keep it in mind as I go through the day.

No divine sovereign required.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

PS - thanks AlmostAtheist. i never got this one either, and despite my brain as big as a planet it took decades to understand how it just plain doesn't make sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit