Where is scripture about letting each observe his own customs?

by Jez 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jez
    Jez

thanks

• Tyrannus@sbcglobal.net
    [email protected]

Good morning. Romans chapter 14 definitely touches on this. Especially look at vss. 1, 5, 13, 17, 18, and 22.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Romans ch 14...as well as

Colossians 2:16

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]:

• steve2
    steve2

Yes it's Romans Chapter 14. I love the verses that admonish each one to observe his special day if he wants to and not make an issue of it. How very unJW like.

• changeling
    changeling

Yup, Col 2:16, says it quite plainly. As a witness I'd read that and wonder...

changeling

• undercover
    undercover

Romans chapter 14 is a paradox...

Don't judge one another... but don't do anything to stumble another...

If you aren't to judge then how can what another does cause you to stumble?

• bob1999
    bob1999

undercover, stumble means to cause them to lose faith.

We are to build each other up not tear each other down.

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

LOL Romans 14 is one of the least quoted chapters in Watchtower literature....it's too devestating to their "organization" complex.

• bite me
    bite me

When/if they use it how is it used; in what context?

• undercover
    undercover
    undercover, stumble means to cause them to lose faith.

We are to build each other up not tear each other down.

I was thinking in terms of how the WT thinks of stumbling...

The Society uses Romans 14 as part of their basis on many of their restrictions...like what the friends read or watch. How they dress, what they eat, if they drink alcohol, their entertainment, their associates, etc. etc. etc.

While many "Christians" may see these scriptures in a more positive light, the Society has attached a negative connotation to it. Instead of focusing on building one another up and not judging, they focus on not stumbling. How do we not stumble? By not doing anything that might be questionable. In WTland, this creates an almost fascist state of control over what the group should or should not do (read "can" or "cannot").

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit