Don't go into the light...

by Jim_TX 7 Replies latest social humour

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Today at lunch, my wife and I went to a thrift store that we frequent. I like to wander through the electronics area, as sometimes I can find some unusual or interesting items.

Today was no exception. I saw this huge (and I mean HUGE!) flashlight looking thing. It has the following text on the side... "CYCLOPS 15 Million Candlepower"

Well... being that I am interested in portable lights and lighting, I showed it to my wife... and then decided to get it. There was no price on it however, and we had to ask the gal at the register. She had to ask someone in charge, and the price that came back was $19.91. "I'll take it."

(This thing is about 18-inches long and the head on it is about 12-inches diameter. The bulb inside is one of those quartz halogen bulbs.)

I got it to work, and took it inside to 'play' with, and examine. The 12V 7Ah battery inside it still had a charge, and when I toggled it on, it was kinda like the shaft of light from heaven being turned on ("Yes, Lord?").

I got it home, and charged the battery some more. When I was at my mother-in-laws, my wife told her that I had gone and bought the smallest flashlight she had ever seen. She told me to go home and get it. I did.

It was already dark outside, and so on the way back, I turned on the flashlight - just to see what it could do. humph. I aimed it at a mobile home that is about a quarter mile away - or more... and the spot lit up the entire end of the mobile... quite well, I might add.

Insided the house - if you turn it on, it looks like you've been visited by aliens - bright light - and all.

We took it outside and I aimed it straight up... there was a shaft of light that went on - it seemed like forever. I laughed about attracting aircraft - and my wife yelled at me to turn it off!

I mentioned to my wife that if I bought a bicycle, I could duct tape this thing to the handle bars, and have no problems riding at night. Cars would pull over quickly - not knowing what was coming at them on the roads. (She said they'd probably crash - after being blinded by the light.)

When we were walking home from visiting my m-i-l, I turned it on and shone it down the street. As we passed our neighbors' house, they were coming outside to see what was going on... perhaps thinking that the local sheriff was passing by - shining one of their spotlights around. Oops. Sorry folks - just us.

Looking on the internet for specs... it turns out that it is using a 130-Watt Quartz Halogen bulb, and will run for about 40 minutes on high beam.

This thing is pretty bright. Oh. Don't EVEN think of looking directly at it. I haven't... yet. But don't intend to - if I can avoid it.

Well... I'm still playing with it... I have plans for it. At the shop - they mentioned that there were two of these... I may go back and get the second one... It'd be fun to have another one.

Regards,

Jim TX

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Do you think you might have been a moth in a previous life? ;-)

Glad yer enjoying your new toy!

Dave

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit
    18-inches long and the head on it is about 12-inches diameter

BY GOD MAN!! The thrift store you say? I need one of those. I'm not sure about letting the neighbors see it... and perhaps the wife would be shocked....

• Satanus
    Satanus

Cool.

S

• JeffT
    JeffT

I had one of those a few years ago when we were living in the country. I still have it but can't find the charger for the battery. I found that I could easily illuminate trees on the hillside about 300 yards away with it.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have to admit

the description was rather.....................erotic

purps

• watson
    watson

This thing is about 18-inches long and the head on it is about 12-inches diameter. The bulb inside is one of those quartz halogen bulbs.)

Sometimes these things appear larger than they are.

• 5go
    5go

I like the spot lights the AC-130 has on it. If you set a 2x4 in front of them the 2x4 will catch on fire.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit