What if...

by Sad emo 30 Replies latest jw friends

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Now quietly leaving, it is an excellent thought so long as it is not utilized by hidden agandas to perpetuate what literature has already done for the illiterate. I like your thoughts! Alas I wonder whether there is not something in the illiterate silence of a tribal community which transcends all knowledge and understanding - where people are tuned into their inner selves and love each other for who they are. I do not know how to combine these two thingies!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    In that case then I guess the emphasis would be on living and experiencing.

But isn't that what we should really be doing now QL?! Regardless of whether there is a 'higher power' or not?

Your meanderings fit my other question in a way - is it just that we don't realise the power we have because we're still in the process of learning and developing?

Would we have a 'wireless connection' to the central computer which upgrades our knowledge base or would we merely live and experience whilst the computer develops itself?

If it gave nothing back would we ever learn anything? Would that make the computer a parasite which we should strive to get rid of?

R.crusoe

If God were to choose to be one of us it would be tricky because he would need powers to prove it to us which would sorta render him not one of us.

What if God didn't choose - what if he just 'was' one of us?

Why would he need or want to prove he was God if he was 'just' one of us, trying to get on in this mess of life?

I don't really know where I'm going with this thread yet (as if that's not obvious lol) I guess I'm trying to fathom the unfathomable questions like 'who is God? ' and have we made him into something he isn't - or is it that we ourselves aren't being what we're meant to be?

To coin a phrase from the gospels - should we all be 'planting mountains in the sea'?

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

sad emo

But isn't that what we should really be doing now QL?! Regardless of whether there is a 'higher power' or not?

Yes, I think so.

Your meanderings fit my other question in a way - is it just that we don't realise the power we have because we're still in the process of learning and developing?

Would we have a 'wireless connection' to the central computer which upgrades our knowledge base or would we merely live and experience whilst the computer develops itself?

Your questions above remind me of the verse in Exodus where Jehovah say "I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be". It seems to me that the writer/thinking of the day was/were intuiting the answer to your questions. And perhaps we are/can do the same today.

If it gave nothing back would we ever learn anything? Would that make the computer a parasite which we should strive to get rid of?

For arguments sake - in getting rid of the 'computer' wouldn't we be getting rid of ourselves. Most of us want to live, we strive to live and perhaps our striving is reflected in the 'mind' of the 'computer' which itself strives to 'live'.

Also when I say 'computer' I don't mean a purely mechanical unfeeling one. Maybe I should use the the word love instead.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

R Crusoe

Now quietly leaving, it is an excellent thought so long as it is not utilized by hidden agandas to perpetuate what literature has already done for the illiterate. I like your thoughts! Alas I wonder whether there is not something in the illiterate silence of a tribal community which transcends all knowledge and understanding - where people are tuned into their inner selves and love each other for who they are. I do not know how to combine these two thingies!

Interesting thoughts - but how can we be sure that the ancient tribal communities didn't also behave just as we do today and that we only think that they were tuned into their inner selves and loved each other for who they were.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Thanks BumbleBee...Now I can't get that song outta my head!!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    but how can we be sure that the ancient tribal communities didn't also behave just as we do today and that we only think that they were tuned into their inner selves and loved each other for who they were.

What if they were tuned into their inner selves and decided to call the 'effects' they experienced *God*?

• erynw
    erynw
    Thanks BumbleBee...Now I can't get that song outta my head!!

Fine, BB steals my thunder........again. BB is so smart, so funny, a faster typer than I am. Whoop-deeee-doooo.

• exwitless
    exwitless

I think he'd wear a wife-beater t-shirt and demand that we get him a beer and make him a sandwich, then beat the crap out of us for putting too much mustard on it. Afterward, he would explain that it was a lesson of his "love" for us, and that he forgave us for our mistake-just as long as we don't do it again.

OK, sorry. That was cynical. I'm in sort of a bad mood today.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

sad emo

What if they were tuned into their inner selves and decided to call the 'effects' they experienced *God*?

makes sense

And here's another one - where did self sacrifice as an aim in its itself come into the picture? I can understand how it began in our evolution of self awareness - perhaps in the family circle both human and non human as we began to observe one another . But how did we become so self sacrificing as to epitomise it in Jesus Christ? Is it a beneficial quality?

At present in the context of my situation I'm not seeing it as being or having been a beneficial quality.

I guess the context would dictate.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

sad emo

btw don't take my rantings too seriously. My mind is full of a very sad funeral I attended yesterday - a mother died of sickle anaemia complications leaving 2 children one of whom also has sickle anaemia. On top of that some of the family members are JW's.

At the same time I'm working on an essay about the Roman gladitorial games and one of the issues of course is christian martyrdom.

The good news is that the funeral was very well handled by a Catholic priest who had forged a close bond with the mother. She and her daughter got baptized in the Catholic church 2 years ago. 300 people attended the funeral, there was inscense, tears and laughter. Looking back something happened in that funeral that I have never seen before and that I couldn't even begin to describe.

Also I have just (in the last few minutes) found my way into my essay.

That's life

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit