Is there a list of changes made in the New World Translation?

by Grammy 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then he [the thief] said, 'Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.'

He answered him, 'In truth I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NWT:

'Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in paradise.'

---------------------------------------

And THAT'S the problem with writing in a language without punctuation marks: who's to say which translation is appropriate, or reflect the original meaning? It introduces an opportunity for a translator to introduce their own perspective on the meaning, even if unconsciously.

• kepler
    kepler

That must have been it. The translators all those years were making the words (which did not appear in the other synoptics or in John) overly sensational. Luke just had an idle reminiscence there. He obviously did not want to convey anything so revolutionary as Jesus saying that that was where they would both be at the end of that day.

Surely he was saying that that day he had an announcement to the effect that the guy on the other cross/torture stake had a promise to join the other 139,999 ( to be announced later) in a celestial administrative center sometime after 1914 - in an overlapping generation or so.

What could have been better? It brings it all together.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Concerning the comma in Luke 23:43, this translator has some interesting comments.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I need to check others but I looked up the Rev 1:11 and in the greek interlinear they use, the alpha stuff is not there. But after looking online, many bibles also do not have that, so that one alone but be a difference in the scroll translated from, because in the greek interlinear you can usually see the changes, all the instances of them changing Lord to Jehovah, when it says Lord in the scriptures. Some of the Lord changes, Lord is the SAME word they leave when referring ot Jesus but some changed to Jehovah, again in the greek both are spelt the same way. So it messes it up if it's wrong. There is one that is quoted, the hebrew said Jehovah, but the quoting of it in Greek NT said lord, so that change would be okay but the other ones are not as clear.

• mP
    mP

I recall reading somewhere that most modern translations come from two separate branches or sources. Compared together both branches have significant changes particularly in scriptures that are often used to support various theologies. I cant recall why but the NWT uses one branch as its source while most modern translations use the other. If i recall correctly old translations tend to use the NWT branch. This however raises the intersting problem why are there two incompatible branches. If you search for this, sorry i cant recall the terminology theres a comprehensive list of the interesting scriptures. We can find many of these hot scriptures in the NWT where they are simply marked for deletion and replaced with a DASH.

We can see signs ackmnowledging these differences in the NWT in places like John 8:53(!) and at the end of Mark with the LONG and SHORT endings. Naturally this mess is a result of countless changes, edits throughout the centuries as xianity has evolved for money, control and profit.

• mP
    mP

Perhaps the biggest change, is Mark 16 LONG conclusion. They really omit that because its so obviously an addition. Mark without this text has no ressurrection, which means Mark did not believe that Jesus really did return.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Narkissos had this to say (11/24/2007): "The looooong lists of NWT "distortions" are usually compiled from the naive perspective of readers who hold some old, "classical" version like the KJV to be "the Bible," period. All changes from there are considered corruptions. From a scholarly standpoint (and leaving stylistic issues aside) they are not necessarily (and, in fact, rarely) so.

As a rule of thumb I would recommend checking every suspected "distortion" against a modern version (like the NRSV or JB). And drop it if you find out that they basically agree: there's usually a fairly good reason (from textual criticism, philology or exegesis) for the change. The resulting list will be much shorter and much better.

Don't take me wrong: I'm not saying the NWT is a good version. But you will find many debatable renderings in all versions, so listing merely debatable renderings in the NWT won't lead you anywhere."

Also, in fairness to fellow readers on this board, it should be noted not everyone succumbs to the notion that the NWT must be the most heretical version of all.

Dr. Alan S. Duthie (Ph.D in linguistics from the University of Manchester) stated:

“It [the NWT] is no more ‘full of heresies’ than any other translation.” (Bible translations and how to choose between them, p. 103)

• kepler
    kepler

Bobcat,

Concerning the comma in Luke 23:43, this translator has some interesting comments.

I checked that out and managed to recover 67 of the "truly I say to you"s. I'm going to post the result in another topic.

One of the things I noticed about it is where these expressions turn up - and where they do not.

Kepler

• caliber
    caliber

marked

• james_woods
    james_woods

By far the worst distortion is the completely arbitrary addition of the name "Jehovah" all through the New Testament.

This was done not on the authority of any real scholarship, but simply because they are obsessed with the name "Jehovah".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit