Old Articles about JWs

by Merry Magdalene 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

I was just looking back over some of my old inquiries and got curious about mainstream articles written about JWs back when the public was, perhaps, a little more aware of who they were. A critical booklet by Leslie Rumble, "The Incredible Creed of Jehovah's Witnesses," written during the presidency of Knorr, said:

The Witnesses of Jehovah constitute one of the most vigorous and spectacular religious propagandist bodies of the present day. Throughout the world an army of persistent enthusiasts tramp from door to door, urging people to adopt their teachings as a matter of life and death. They claim to have made over a million converts in recent years, chiefly in America; and they have been written up in the "Saturday Evening Post," "Collier's Weekly" and the "Reader's Digest" as a phenomenon of both national and international importance.

So, I went looking.

I have read this quote from a 1940 Reader's Digest: "Jehovah's Witnesses hate everybody and try to make it mutual." Does anyone have more information on that?

There is a November 2, 1946 Collier's article, "Jehovah's Travelling Salesmen" by Bill Davidson which can be found HERE. It contains one brief account I found interesting, regarding one of the board of director's meetings, in Cleveland:

A group of eight old-time pioneer Witnesses. lead by fifty-nine-year-old Roy D. Goodrich, of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, a member since 1919, tried to get up on the floor and accuse the board of directors of hypocrisy and of "setting up a dictatorship to rule the Witnesses," and of "establishing the same sort of religious heirarchy as the Roman Catholic heirarchy they condemn."
    Brother Goodrich and company were excommunicated by personal letter before the hour was out. They tried to plead their case by distributing handbills outside the stadium. The rebels were immediately surrounded by 200 Witnesses who deliberately cut the canvas bags of Watchtowers from the insurgents' shoulders..."

The article also mentioned Beth Sarim being used by the board of directors as a "winter vacation rest spot" to keep it from becoming moldy while awaiting the return of the prophets.

VM44 posted--"Armageddon Inc" by Stanley High, The Saturday Evening Post, September 14, 1940.

At ebay there is a 1956 Coronetmagazine for sale containing an article by Norman M. Lobsenz entitled "The Embattled Witnesses". Is anyone familiar with it?

Anyone have anything else? Just curious. I find these glimpses of the past rather interesting.

~Merry

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

As a footnote: Just did a search on Roy D. Goodrich, not thinking I would find anything, and came up with this-- "Roy D. Goodrich and the ERA Ouija Board" by Ken Raines.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

The guy had cojones. Good for him.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

An extract form Ken Raines article

Mr. and Mrs. A presented themselves in Dr. B's "Abrams Electronic Clinic" for diagnosis and treatment of the latter, who for more than a year had suffered a complete breakdown (sometimes called a "nervous breakdown",...). She was very weak, and one wee hour in the day was all that she could stand in her chosen work as a witness for Jehovah God.... As critical scientific bystanders, let us observe with them what happened.

He then describes what to him indicates an occult use of the diagnostic machine:

I feel sorry for poor Mrs A and all the others burnout from all the "vigorous, propagandising, door to door work" they had to do. What further pressure she and the others must have felt to be told that a stomach worm was causing all their problems and that all they now needed to do was get rid of it.

It reminds me of the "cleansing" grape diet a couple of pioneers adopted a few years ago to give them more energy and enthusiasm for the work - they ate nothing but grapes for 2 weeks.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene
    The guy had cojones . Good for him.

If you're speaking of Goodrich, it appears he was not reluctant to confront Rutherford either when he felt he had an important point to make:

From the Philadelphia convention in November 1929, I journeyed to Brooklyn for the express purpose of interviewing the Judge. After brief greetings and formalities, JF said: 'Well, Brother Goodrich, what is on your mind?" When I mentioned the name "Abrams", the Judge terrifyingly growled: - "IS THAT ALL YOU CAME UP HERE FOR?!!! With equal force and alacrity, I replied, "IT'S ENOUGH SIR!!! WHICH IN YOUR OPINION IS THE MORE DANGEROUS TO GOD'S ANOINTED: SPIRITISM OR ALUMINUM!!!!!!!?

While he was getting his breath and words, I had pounded the table before him for about thirty minutes, telling him what I knew.

I feel sorry for poor Mrs A and all the others burnout from all the "vigorous, propagandising, door to door work" they had to do. What further pressure she and the others must have felt to be told that a stomach worm was causing all their problems and that all they now needed to do was get rid of it.

It reminds me of the "cleansing" grape diet a couple of pioneers adopted a few years ago to give them more energy and enthusiasm for the work - they ate nothing but grapes for 2 weeks.

I feel sorry for them too.

My mother did the grape diet off and on for years. I didn't know where she had gotten the idea from until finding information here on "The Grape Cure" and JWs. I didn't know any of them were still doing it, however. My mom was the only one I knew of who did.

~Merry

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Jehovah's Witnesses in the War

Monday, Apr. 19, 1943 http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,884865,00.html

Jehovah's Witness

Monday, Jun. 10, 1935 http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,883470-1,00.html

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I purchased a hard copy of Armageddeon Inc. a while back. It's quite an article!

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Thanks for those links nvr!

~Merry

• Merry Magdalene
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

"Peddlers of Paradise", Readers Digest, January 1931, pp. 78-81 (condensed from November 1940 issue of The American Magazine)

http://www.catholic-forum.com/members/popestleo/peddlers.html (unfortunately, the page has expired -- but I did download the article before it went down)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit