Why the molestation issue won't bring down JW's

by proplog2 23 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• proplog2
    proplog2

?Molestation is not a problem unique to JW’s.
    It happens all the time everywhere.
    It is a human problem.
    Jews have the problem.
    Mormon’s have the problem.
    Enter the words MOLESTATION and the name of any religion
    and google will vomit up a sewer full of cases.

JW’s deserve to get sued like everyone else for exposing
    children to molesters because of their
    negligence. But-

Some want to get more mileage out of this.
    Some want to destroy the JW organization with scandal.
    That will never work. The fallacy is clear:
    even the Devil has to be proven wrong.
    Attacking JW’s in a personal way is only a temporary distraction
    from proving their teachings wrong.
    The JW doctrines stand even after the mud slides off.
    It is the doctrines that have to be attacked and disproved.

Here is the fallacy of the personal attack and poisoning the well:

SINCE, JW’s have been guilty of exposing their children to molesters THEREFORE
    EVERYTHING they say is necessarily false.

Apparently JW’s aren’t exempt from using this kind of faulty logic.
    They gave wide distribution to a tract highlighting molestation in
    the Catholic Church. Everyone with an ounce of brains knows
    that if you point your fingers at others
    on this issue then the fingers will be pointing back.

• KW13
    KW13

The Issues that opened my eyes haven't brought down the Organization but they've set me free. In the same way we aren't hoping for an entire break-down of the Organization as a whole but we do want to open the minds of any individuals or give those who are considering leaving that extra nudge out of the door. I felt for a long time we as 'apostates' were failing but i realised every individual gained is one less for the Society and that ultimately, one day it may do the impossible.

• martinwellborne
    martinwellborne

Yes a lot of good argument therein. But they are all so very good at quoting 1Cor 5:6-8 "OUR [cause for] boasting is not fine. Do YOU not know that a little leaven ferments the whole lump? 7 Clear away the old

leaven, that YOU may be a new lump, according as YOU are free from ferment. For, indeed, Christ our passover has been sacrificed. 8 Consequently let us keep the festival, not with old leaven, neither with leaven of

badness and wickedness, but with unfermented cakes of sincerity and truth" If their policy is at fault then whole lump is rotten.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Why the molestation issue won't bring down JW's

Because you can't bring down God's Orginazation silly.

• blondie
    blondie

The molestation issue hasn't brought down the Catholic Church. That is not the goal. Informing the membership and the public at large helps protect people from victimization. It will help some inside and outside the WT organization.

These people haven't given up fighting the Catholic Church and have no idea of destroying the Catholic Church.

www.snapnetwork.org

Blondie

The S urvivors N etwork of those A bused by P riests

SNAP Mission Statement

Our most powerful tool is the light of truth.

Through our actions, we bring
    healing and justice.

The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) is a volunteer self-help organization of survivors of clergy sexual abuse and their supporters.

We work to end the cycle of abuse in two ways:

• By supporting one another in personal healing;
    • By pursuing justice and institutional change by holding individual perpetrators responsible and the church accountable.

Our most powerful tool is the light of truth. Through our stories and our actions, we bring healing and justice.

Specifically, we:

• Reach out to survivors, their families, and supporters;
    • Build mechanisms to support our life-long journey of personal healing including individual contact, peer counseling, support groups, written and web-based information and materials;
    • Work through education and persuasion to change the structure and culture of abuse in the church and society at large.
  • ronin1
    ronin1

It will not bring the WT down because they are the 'evil slave class'.

Ronin1

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

I have never heard anyone say that is their goal to bring down JW's by pointing to the way they have handled it.

It cannot happen on one issue ,but the boldly pointing to the hypocrisy of the org in handling the problem does have benefits ,in informing those trusting in the org and not knowing how it handles the issue ,and protecting children in the future is important .

I don't believe that those who spend a lot of effort in exposing the WTS in this regard ,really would expect them to shut up shop over it ,but when someone says they are gods special channel to people and then cruelly treat them with disdain ,well their hypocrisy must be exposed with gusto!

• oompa
    oompa

I have been in many halls and never had a hint of any impropriety in this regard. What I really want to know, and I agree with the premise of this thread BTW, is what the hell were the parents of victims doing? I have heard of cases where a neighbor will KILL the pedo before the police can get there! I think silent parents may be even worse than silent elders. What would motivate any elder to try and prevent a parent from going to the law? And by the way, I have heard no mention of that being a problem on any of the news segments.....oompa

• proplog2
    proplog2

Oompa: I agree that parents carry the greatest responsibility in protecting their children from harm.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

No, the pedophile problem alone will not be sufficient to ruin the Watchtower Society. But, there are so many other strikes against them that hopefully together will bring them down.

What other strikes? First, they sequester their members. They are among the world, and yet they are not to mix with them except to bring others in. They do not celebrate anything. They spend all their time screeching around in field circus. They promote poverty and stagnation. They threaten people that come in that, if they later find it's not for them or that there are blatant falsehoods, they will have their lives ruined. They have many blatant alterations of their Bible, and blatant misrepresentations of scriptures.

About the molesters, that is not unique to the Watchtower Society. Just about every other religion has this problem, notably the Catholics. What is unique is the extent to which they silence their victims. That is even more damaging than the original molesting was. And, with all the gag orders and silencing those surrounding the victims, they create tangles of legal headaches and threaten to disfellowship those who blow them in. And they are protecting the organization. As bad as the Catholic problem was, at least they eventually apologized and did something about the problem. The Witlesses, on the other hand, are doing all they can to protect the organization itself from the embarrassment. And that is why I hope they run into more and more of a struggle in field circus in getting new recruits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit