Thanksgiving or National Day of Mourning? - A Native American Perspective

by nvrgnbk 19 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

When Frank James (1923 - February 20, 2001), known to the Wampanoag people as Wampsutta, was invited to speak by the Commonwealth of Massachusettsat the 1970 annual Thanksgiving feast at Plymouth. When the text of Mr. James’ speech, a powerful statement of anger at the history of oppression of the Native people of America, became known before the event, the Commonwealth "disinvited" him. Wampsutta was not prepared to have his speech revised by the Pilgrims. He left the dinner and the ceremonies and went to the hill near the statue of the Massasoit, who as the leader of the Wampanoags when the Pilgrims landed in their territory. There overlooking Plymouth Harbor, he looked at the replica of the Mayflower. It was there that he gave his speech that was to be given to the Pilgrims and their guests. There eight or ten Indians and their supporters listened in indignation as Frank talked of the takeover of the Wampanoag tradition, culture, religion, and land.

That silencing of a strong and honest Native voice led to the convening of the National Day of Mourning. The following is the text of 1970 speech by Wampsutta, an Aquinnah Wampanoag elder and Native American activist.

I speak to you as a man -- a Wampanoag Man. I am a proud man, proud of my ancestry, my accomplishments won by a strict parental direction ("You must succeed - your face is a different color in this small Cape Cod community!"). I am a product of poverty and discrimination from these two social and economic diseases. I, and my brothers and sisters, have painfully overcome, and to some extent we have earned the respect of our community. We are Indians first - but we are termed "good citizens." Sometimes we are arrogant but only because society has pressured us to be so.

It is with mixed emotion that I stand here to share my thoughts. This is a time of celebration for you - celebrating an anniversary of a beginning for the white man in America. A time of looking back, of reflection. It is with a heavy heart that I look back upon what happened to my People.

Even before the Pilgrims landed it was common practice for explorers to capture Indians, take them to Europe and sell them as slaves for 220 shillings apiece. The Pilgrims had hardly explored the shores of Cape Cod for four days before they had robbed the graves of my ancestors and stolen their corn and beans. Mourt's Relation describes a searching party of sixteen men. Mourt goes on to say that this party took as much of the Indians' winter provisions as they were able to carry.

Massasoit, the great Sachem of the Wampanoag, knew these facts, yet he and his People welcomed and befriended the settlers of the Plymouth Plantation. Perhaps he did this because his Tribe had been depleted by an epidemic. Or his knowledge of the harsh oncoming winter was the reason for his peaceful acceptance of these acts. This action by Massasoit was perhaps our biggest mistake. We, the Wampanoag, welcomed you, the white man, with open arms, little knowing that it was the beginning of the end; that before 50 years were to pass, the Wampanoag would no longer be a free people.

What happened in those short 50 years? What has happened in the last 300 years? History gives us facts and there were atrocities; there were broken promises - and most of these centered around land ownership. Among ourselves we understood that there were boundaries, but never before had we had to deal with fences and stone walls. But the white man had a need to prove his worth by the amount of land that he owned. Only ten years later, when the Puritans came, they treated the Wampanoag with even less kindness in converting the souls of the so-called "savages." Although the Puritans were harsh to members of their own society, the Indian was pressed between stone slabs and hanged as quickly as any other "witch."

And so down through the years there is record after record of Indian lands taken and, in token, reservations set up for him upon which to live. The Indian, having been stripped of his power, could only stand by and watch while the white man took his land and used it for his personal gain. This the Indian could not understand; for to him, land was survival, to farm, to hunt, to be enjoyed. It was not to be abused. We see incident after incident, where the white man sought to tame the "savage" and convert him to the Christian ways of life. The early Pilgrim settlers led the Indian to believe that if he did not behave, they would dig up the ground and unleash the great epidemic again.

The white man used the Indian's nautical skills and abilities. They let him be only a seaman -- but never a captain. Time and time again, in the white man's society, we Indians have been termed "low man on the totem pole."

Has the Wampanoag really disappeared? There is still an aura of mystery. We know there was an epidemic that took many Indian lives - some Wampanoags moved west and joined the Cherokee and Cheyenne. They were forced to move. Some even went north to Canada! Many Wampanoag put aside their Indian heritage and accepted the white man's way for their own survival. There are some Wampanoag who do not wish it known they are Indian for social or economic reasons.

What happened to those Wampanoags who chose to remain and live among the early settlers? What kind of existence did they live as "civilized" people? True, living was not as complex as life today, but they dealt with the confusion and the change. Honesty, trust, concern, pride, and politics wove themselves in and out of their [the Wampanoags'] daily living. Hence, he was termed crafty, cunning, rapacious, and dirty.

History wants us to believe that the Indian was a savage, illiterate, uncivilized animal. A history that was written by an organized, disciplined people, to expose us as an unorganized and undisciplined entity. Two distinctly different cultures met. One thought they must control life; the other believed life was to be enjoyed, because nature decreed it. Let us remember, the Indian is and was just as human as the white man. The Indian feels pain, gets hurt, and becomes defensive, has dreams, bears tragedy and failure, suffers from loneliness, needs to cry as well as laugh. He, too, is often misunderstood.

The white man in the presence of the Indian is still mystified by his uncanny ability to make him feel uncomfortable. This may be the image the white man has created of the Indian; his "savageness" has boomeranged and isn't a mystery; it is fear; fear of the Indian's temperament!

High on a hill, overlooking the famed Plymouth Rock, stands the statue of our great Sachem, Massasoit. Massasoit has stood there many years in silence. We the descendants of this great Sachem have been a silent people. The necessity of making a living in this materialistic society of the white man caused us to be silent. Today, I and many of my people are choosing to face the truth. We ARE Indians!

Although time has drained our culture, and our language is almost extinct, we the Wampanoags still walk the lands of Massachusetts. We may be fragmented, we may be confused. Many years have passed since we have been a people together. Our lands were invaded. We fought as hard to keep our land as you the whites did to take our land away from us. We were conquered, we became the American prisoners of war in many cases, and wards of the United States Government, until only recently.

Our spirit refuses to die. Yesterday we walked the woodland paths and sandy trails. Today we must walk the macadam highways and roads. We are uniting We're standing not in our wigwams but in your concrete tent. We stand tall and proud, and before too many moons pass we'll right the wrongs we have allowed to happen to us.

We forfeited our country. Our lands have fallen into the hands of the aggressor. We have allowed the white man to keep us on our knees. What has happened cannot be changed, but today we must work towards a more humane America, a more Indian America, where men and nature once again are important; where the Indian values of honor, truth, and brotherhood prevail.

You the white man are celebrating an anniversary. We the Wampanoags will help you celebrate in the concept of a beginning. It was the beginning of a new life for the Pilgrims. Now, 350 years later it is a beginning of a new determination for the original American: the American Indian.

There are some factors concerning the Wampanoags and other Indians across this vast nation. We now have 350 years of experience living amongst the white man. We can now speak his language. We can now think as a white man thinks. We can now compete with him for the top jobs. We're being heard; we are now being listened to. The important point is that along with these necessities of everyday living, we still have the spirit, we still have the unique culture, we still have the will and, most important of all, the determination to remain as Indians. We are determined, and our presence here this evening is living testimony that this is only the beginning of the American Indian, particularly the Wampanoag, to regain the position in this country that is rightfully ours.

http://www.blackcommentator.com/254/254_thanksgiving_national_day_of_mourning_wampsutta.html

• snowbird
    snowbird

Nvr, I've always respected and admired you for your uncompromising stance on exposing hypocrisy - wherever it may exist. Your posting of this article and its link only heightens that respect.

There are so many things out there that challenge our long-held beliefs and traditions. Some of us refuse to face them and continue on with our heads buried in the sand. I've always known the USA didn't live up to its creed; it's the actions of so-called Black leaders that get under my skin.

For instance, close to home in my case, was the expose' of Dr. Martin Luther Kings Jr.'s extramarital dalliances. I was crushed when I learned of his behavior.

When I tried to discuss it with others, I was met with either indifference or cold silence. Isn't it crazy how some of us turn a blind eye to or make allowances for certain things or certain people? We KNOW about the deceit and ugliness underpinning the persons or organizations, yet we steadfastly and proudly hold them up as examples worthy of imitation.

I often think that the USA and the WTS are somewhat similar. Each projects a beautiful image of God-approved righteousness, but one good, long look beneath the facade is all it takes to shatter that image. I'm also convinced that each, individually and collectively, is going to to have a day of reckoning with the very One they have mocked.

Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

Sylvia

• the widow
    the widow

NVR, That is a beautiful post. I was moved to tears for all those Indians who were mistreated and died. I loved the part that although we can't change the past, we can do better. Instead of a celebration, maybe we need to reflect on what a people gave up so we could have this holiday. Thank you NVR, The Widow

• zeroday
    zeroday

Yea I'm crying a river of tears right now...hold one (pass the mashed potatoes) oh yea where was I right crying a river of tears (anymore pumpkin pie)...

• *summer*
    *summer*

happy thanksgiving, zeroday...

• zeroday
    zeroday
    happy thanksgiving, zeroday...

Well thank you Summer...I'm just getting over the trauma of the Roman Empire enslaving many peoples and destroying countries so I thought I would take a day off and enjoy the holiday I'll get back to the "hating the white man" tomorrow although I think it will take a while to work my way up to the Indians...

• Mulan
    Mulan

My great grandmother was an Indian (Native American, for those who prefer). I remember her well too. In Seattle, they banned Thanksgiving in the public school system, because it isn't a celebration to the Indians. I am 1/8 Indian. I celebrate Thanksgiving, and love it. I know many Native Americans who are all looking forward to Thanksgiving.

All of the injustices happened at least several lifetimes ago, and none of the Indians that suffered are alive now. We shouldn't forget it happened, but we should move on, and let go of the hate.

Just my opinion. The Indians in our State are fighting for the rights to hunt whales because it is part of their culture. So they did it one year, with speedboats and machine guns. Big, brave Indian hunters. It made me sick.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'm part Indian too, Mulan.

I don't feel responsible for the enslavement of Africans or the "stealing" of North America from those that were here when the Europeans arrived.

Most of us know African slaves were often sold by other Africans.

Most of us know that not all Native American tribes were peace-loving and civilized and were committing atrocities against one another before the Europeans ever arrived.

But none of that changes that there was a slave trade or that noble North American aboriginal cultures were tragically displaced by "guns, germs, and steel" (phrase borrowed from Jared Diamond).

Neither chapter in our shared history should be forgotten.

As for the way aboriginal peoples hunt and kill animals, I see little difference between that and the way more "civilized" cultures slaughter for meat. I am a meat-eater, by the way. It's one of my many hypocrisies.

My intent in posting this was, as stated in the title, to give another perspective.

I did not mean to say Thanksgiving is evil or should not be celebrated.

A spirit of healing is best for all.

I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Happy Thanksgiving to Mulan, and all.

• flipper
    flipper

NVR- Good post my brother ! I too am part native american, Cheyenne and Cherokee on my mom's side and have always been appalled at how the native americans were chased off their lands and forced to conform . I saw a program on TBS about 12 years ago, a special on the history of native americans as told by them, ( different version than texts in schoolbooks ) , and they said they were tricked into selling Manhattan. In their culture they had no concept of owning anything . They believed the land was to be shared. So they said they'd be happy to share it with their white brothers from Europe . But the indians didn't know that Europeans did have a cuture involved in owning things , and were grossly taken advantage of by the early settlers.

They saw the Europeans start building fences on lands they claim they " bought " , then the indians came back from hunting trips to see their lands had been fenced in , stolen from them. When they confronted the settlers about it the settlers said, " No. You sold us this land. " The indians replied, " No we didn't, we said we would share it with you. Who can own land? The great spirit above owns it all. We can just share it together. " But it was too late for the native americans , the concept of ownage had been forced on their culture, very sad.

As your thread indicated, the native americans were forced to lose their native tongues, join the Catholic religion, and stripped of their lands. Tecumseh tried valiantly to rally all the tribes together as one to defeat the newly formed American government , but it was all for nought. Just too many European settlers to battle. All through the 19th century the native americans would try to hold out and various brave men from them tried to stem the tide, but the wave of Europeans became a tidal wave which could never be turned back, sadly. I too salute our true forefathers and wish all our native american friends peace at this time and to go in a good way . Thanks for acknowledging this Nvr , it is an important part of " real " american history which should never be lost. Peace out, happy thanksgiving, Mr. Flipper

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Thanksgiving

The Thanksgiving myth is that the Pilgrims settled the United States in 1620. They had to fight off indians repeatedly.

"Few Americans know that one-third of the United States, from San Francisco to Arkansas to Natchez to Florida, has been Spanish longer than it has been "American," and that Hispanic Americans lived here before the first ancestor of the Daughters of the American Revolution ever left England" (77). British and French fisherman, landing in Massachusetts for fresh water and supplies in 1617, brought the plague to the American indians. "Within three years the plague wiped out between 90 percent and 96 percent of the inhabitants of coastal New England... Unable to cope with so many corpses, the survivors abandoned their villages" (81).

What the Pilgrims found were settled farms, with the crops already planted and growing, deserted by Indians fleeing the plague. The Pilgrims "found it easy to infer that God was on their side. John Winthrop, governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, called the plague "Miraculous"" (81).

"These epidemcs probably constituted the most important geopolitical event of the early seventeenth century. Their net result was that the British, for their first fifty years in New England, would face no real Indian challenge" (81).

The plagues "continued west, racing in advance of the line of culture contact... Disease played the same crucial role in Mexico and Peru as it did in Massachusetts... When the Spanish marched into Tenochtitlan [now Mexico City], there were so many bodies [dead from the plague] that they had to walk on them" (82-3).

"..the population of the Americas [was] one hundred million in 1492.. Europe had only about seventy million people when Columbus set forth. The Europeans' advantages in military and social technology might have enabled them to dominate the Americas.. but not to "settle" the hemisphere. For that, the plague was required" (83).

".. the land was, in reality, not a virgin wilderness, but recently widowed" (84).

We also tend, in favor of the Pilgrims, to ignore Jamestown which was settled first. "Historians could hardly tout Virginia... The Virginians' relations with the Indians were particularly unsavory...the early Virginians engaged in bickering, sloth, even cannibalism. They spent their early days digging random holes in the ground, haplessly looking for gold instead of planting crops. Soon they were starving and digging up putrid Indian corpses to eat or renting themselves out to Indian families as servants" (89-90).

"..the Pilgrims hardly "started from scratch" in a "wilderness." Throughout southern New England, Native Americans had repeatedly burned the underbrush, creating a parklike environment... They chose Plymouth because of its beautiful cleared fields, recently planted in corn, and its useful harbor and "brook of fresh water." It was a lovely site for a town. Indeed, until the plaque, it had been a town.." (90). One of the first things the Pilgrims did was go through the town, looting the possessions of the Indians. "..the Pilgrims continued to rob graves for years" (91).

http://www.criticalthink.info/Phil1301/lieshist.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit