For all you PETROL & GAS whiners. Stop complaining that it's too expensive!

by nicolaou 73 Replies latest social current

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Nothing. A capitalist market will build what sells. Hence 3 bucks a gallon is no problem People pay it, some make profits and alternatives will make somebody else a profit. All is good with the world and the laws of supply and demand which are of course infallible

• John Doe
    John Doe

No, not infallible, but I'm sure not complaining. I've got ample opportunities in the country where I live. I have an ability to work hard and move upwards. I have the opportunity to choose how to use my talents and where to spend my life. That's all anyone can ask. I'm quite happy with the way things work. I'm not going to begrudge others who work hard and make things happen for themselves either.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I'm bumping this as a 'balance' to flippers thread. I'm struggling as much as anyone with these high fuel prices, it's the highest cost in my own small business and is still rising.

When I started this thread six months ago the diesel for my van was costing me about £1.09/litre, it's now at £1.29/litre. I'm not a heartless git, I know families are struggling to cope and that life is financially tough for the majority - me included.

But truthfully, the price we pay for fossil fuels is much higher than the £293 ($560) it would cost to fill a 50 litre tank in the UK.

Look at what's happening around you people.

Nic'
    (definately not going for the popular vote)

• fifi40
    fifi40

The way some of you talk you would think............

That here in the UK we have never seen a artic lorry (our Motorways are full of them),.......... that we all shop at a little shop 5 doors down from our homes (my nearest supermarket is driving distance not walking and most of us have got rid of the pony and cart),.............. we havent been involved in the war in Iraq and hence our taxes have not been spent on funding that war (errrr......oh yes we have whether we agreed with it or not), ....................that our truck drivers are not pissed at the huge increases in fuel prices and the threat of losing business to haulage companies from the rest of Europe whose fuel prices are cheaper (only last week hundreds of lorry drivers demonstrated in Central London against fuel taxation)............that the cost of living in the Uk is dirt cheap (in some surveys we have the second highest cost of living in the world according to some surveys, NY ranked 15th in the same survey)...........oh and that the UK is only about 5 miles by 5miles big (I just have to laugh if you think we can all walk to where we need to be or use a bike)

I love the Uk, it is a country which has a huge amount going for it in many ways..........but like the USA it is a country facing huge economic problems and many are facing these on a day to day basis.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    The way some of you talk you would think............

I suspect that most of those that talk about how 'easy' you have it, have never left the US.(visiting canada or mexico doesn't count)

I highly recommend that those that piss and moan about fuel prices, need to take a field trip around the world. After they return, I believe that most will realize how easy and cheap we have it here in the United States.

• 83501nwahs
    83501nwahs

Only behind the curve people are still buying gas anyway. I've been running vegetable oil in my small truck for a year, much of the time for free thanks to Kentucky Fried Chicken. Even if I buy the oil at Cosco I'm paying about the same price as diesel is right now. If I can do it anybody can do it. You just have to want to do it.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

So clearly it's time to make some significant lifestyle changes.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

The USA invaded Iraq and took over all Oil contracts and Afganistan Gas and Oil so prices should have gone down..there is no shortage. Fuel in the Middle east countries is 50 cents a litre or so.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Likely this has been beat to death [didn't read all three pages yet]. But Europe is far more compact than the US, requiring less miles [km] of driving to begin with. Then there is the diverse nature of community in US versus Europe. Much of Europe is metropolitan, whereas US is suburban [not a universal statement of course]. Public transport is practically non-existent here except in the largest of cities. I couldn't catch a bus if I wanted to. I cannot walk or ride a bicycle, as the infrastructure is not so designed. On and on.

I'm not saying that Americans are not whiners about gas prices - admittedly we have been spoiled for a long time. But the economics are far different in most of the country, as are the options.

The higher prices will cause American entreps to get things happening though - so in that point, we are likely going to be well served in the long run. A little pain with a lot of gain in time.

Jeff

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I'm curious to know if anyone has considered giving up their vehicle due to the high costs of motoring. Reports are starting to come through in the UK that some are doing exactly that, it's only a miniscule minority to be sure but perhaps it might be a positive aspect to all of this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit