Stockpiling Food Where Does One Start?

by uwishufish 39 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Gradually. Start buying a few things a week that you would use that are on SALE. Tuna fish, canned soups, dried fruits and vegetables. Things that store well that have high nutritional value that you will ACTUALLY EAT. Make sure to buy a couple of easy to use manual can openers:) If you are really interested, there are books avail and the LDS church has classes sometimes that might help. Might want to inquire if the emphasis is the religious reasons or practical. You can also get some good books at an LDS bookstore that are strictly practical. Some involve recipes to use hardcore storage items. There are more practical and less hardcore approaches used though.:)

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    I wear a seatbelt when I drive, am I nuts also?

Seriously? .....Freak!

• tula
    tula

I wonder.....if all JWs got the idea to do this....would we have a run in the grocery stores?

How many JWs on a food rampage would it take to clear the store shelves in this country? (That almost sounds like it could be a new pollack joke.)

Talk about causing a market crash!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, the lesson I learned from watching the Katrina disaster is that if there is a bad enough disaster, you're on your own for a while and it doesn't hurt to have at least a week's worth of water, food, pet food, meds and toilet paper on hand, plus trash bags (no water to flush the toilet paper). I buy a few extra cans when on sale, of stuff I would eat anyway, and try to rotate the cans so they don't get too old. I have a case of bottled water, need to be better about rotating that. But one of the things I had never thought of that showed up after Katrina was the lack of meds. It doesn't hurt to have extra meds on hand. It's difficult, though. I talked to my doctor about it, and he can't see beyond the insurance company - they won't let me have more than a 30 day supply at a time. However, by squeezing the time I renew my meds, I have built up a little supply. What kind of disaster could we have around here? Well, a bad enough earthquake would isolate us for a time. A fire is a different story, supplies won't help out there if you just have to pick up and run.

• avengers
    avengers
    Where Does One Start?

Start with: "How many cases of beer would I need?"

lol.

Andy

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I spent a lifetime thinking that we really should be preparing for the great tribulation so I'm very much anti-survivalist now, but it's a good idea to keep a small stock in case of flood, earthquake, etc. We do that anyway, we just like to have a good supply of canned and dried food on hand. I think I should have a lot more water in the suburban house though.

Keeping your freezer full would only be good for three days when the power goes out.

• IT Support
    IT Support

Top three priorities:

1. Drinking water
    2. Toilet rolls
    3. Cyanide pills

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well aren't you a cheerful little bunny?

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I think most of the dry kind of food ( rice, beans, etc..) but what I think would be a good idea is a very powerful water filter. A good one for about 4 people that is self cleaning could cost about 300$. You could find one in a camping supply store.

• BrentR
    BrentR

The Berkey ceramic water filter is a good one and is gravity fed. Katedyn also makes some good ones but niether of them are cheap. Most hot water tanks have 30-40 gallons of water but you have to know where the drain spout is at to use it w/o water pressure. Older toilet tanks hold around 5 gallons also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit