HUUUUGE Earthquake in San Jose, CA just now!

by AnneB 28 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

The Sacramento News at 10:00 p.m. indicated, from emails and phone calls, that there was no apparent damage. The temblor occurred on the Calaveras Fault and the epicenter was near our family home of over 50 years. No one - including children who were interviewed - appeared frightened. It was loud - like a freight train.

CoCo

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

What time would it have been over here? I had the odd sensation of the earth tilting yesterday and had to grip hard onto my sofa so I didnt fall off, but then it was probably just my medication.

Am glad you are okay and no it didnt appear to have made the news here today.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Hope all are ok. Never experienced one, though I lived in Patterson when I was a kid for a year.

Keep us informed.

Jeff

• anewme
    anewme

That quake last night was definitely the biggest one to hit the area for a long time.
    I remember the Loma Prieta '89 quake....devastating in power and length.

This one had the makings of a powerful earthquake, but fell short of intensity and duration.

It felt very unfriendly, unlike most quakes which gently remind you of their presence.

I didnt like it. It shook my tall heavy entertainment center and threatened to topple it.

It was a reminder to me to fill my emergency water jugs with purified water for my use and my pets in case of an outage in which case our electric water pump will not work.

EMERGENCY SUPPLIES
    1. Canned goods
    2. Pet Foods
    3. Clean water
    4. Bandages and medicine
    5. Extra Watchtowers and Awakes (bird cage liners)

• BrentR
    BrentR

They also make great toilet paper since like attracts like.

• Open mind
    Open mind

BARF ALERT!!!

We were at one of the 5 weekly meetings crucial to our survival when the quake hit.

Of course someone had to make the comment: "Well at least we're in the safest place we could be."

Okey, dokey.

Open Mind

• eclipse
    eclipse

Glad you are all ok!

I've never experienced one, except maybe a very small minor one...I just thought I was dizzy, but everyone else around me felt it too..

I think it's very interesting that it was loud as a freight train!

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

Superman where are you now.

Leo what were you wearing. Hek I bet you are a 10 so why would you be asshamed to go outside

• AnneB
    AnneB

We were at one of the 5 weekly meetings crucial to our survival when the quake hit.

Of course someone had to make the comment: "Well at least we're in the safest place we could be."

Many years ago this story was popular: In a Latin American country an earthquake occurred during the meeting. The elders at one Hall gathered in the back and, after offering a prayer, advised the congregation to stay in the Hall. When the meeting ended and they headed for home they saw that the Kingdom Hall was the only building left standing on the street. At another Hall in the area the elders did a similar thing, they prayed and advised the congregation to head for the street. A few moments later that Hall collapsed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit