Taking responsiblity for our Recovery

by purplesofa 27 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Do you think you are responsible for you own recovery?

How do we do that?

How have you done that?

What warning signs are present when you go to a different plan?

Do you really think you can heal from the JW expericance?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I've been out since 83. Information and support was hard to find back then. What happened to me was, I had a friend who got arrested for urinating in public. He told me he got sentenced to AA. He kept telling me about this program that he was working and how great it was. I had been a witness for 31 years so I qualified to go to AA with him. 75% of my congregation would have qualified for AA. Thats because 25% were children.

But in all seriousness I went to the meetings and stoped drinking for 5 years. And in my mind while the group said they were recovering alcoholics, I said to myself I was a recovering Jehovahs witness. And it seemed like 90% of what those people talked about as alcoholics applied to me as a JW.

So with not drinking for 5 years and not attending any kingdumb hall meetings, I reached Nirvana. I dont think any therapist, or pshycologist could have helped me feel any better.

As far as I know, when you go to a therapist you talk and he listens and you or your insurance pays 2,3 hundred dollars an hour. At AA you talk the group listens, and it cost a dollar, or nothing. And you see that everybody has problems and you learn from everybody how to deal with them. And you might find out that the problem of being raised as a JW is a lot better than most of the people at AA. For which you could have an attitude of gratitude.

I think most days I am 99 9/10s healed from the Jw experience. I just enjoy coming here reading and posting. I dont watch tv, I surf the net.

Thats my story.

For anyone who has been to AA check out the movie "YOU KILL ME" a killer comedy with Ben Kingsley and Tia Leone you will really appreciate the humor.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796375/

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Do you think you are responsible for you own recovery?

If not, who is?

How do we do that?

Depends on you

How have you done that?

Kept one foot ahead of the other

What warning signs are present when you go to a different plan?

Self said, "you know this isn't the way"

Do you really think you can heal from the JW expericance?

If you can't, then what are you?

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

PS,

I do not see the process of exiting the JWs as a "recovery" like AA or something.

To me, and, I know it is different for everyone, I see it as "Journey." That is why I sign my posts, usually, "Yours in this Journey." We are travling and we, as JWs, entered a spiritual "Twilight Zone" through which we passed. In that "zone" we were exposed to a variety of insane propositions and were effected, more or less. However, we retained enough sanity to realize the bizarre enviroment and were either led (that is what happened to me, I believe) or thrown out of this Very Scary Place.

"Recovery" indicates a sort of addiction. True, some may be addicted. Many Elders I observed were addicted to Ego Masturbation....

Anyhow, just a thought or two before going "sleepy town."

Yours in this Journey and thankful for the company of cool folks like you,

V

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Recovery is a very personal thing. The road to recovery is dependent upon the individual. There may be similarities, however, end the end each person must choose their own road.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    How have you done that?

I learned to be grateful.

lisa

• Gerard
    Gerard

Never been a JW, but I let go of bad experiences by letting go. I harbour no anger inside and no regrets.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thanks for your responses

Leslie

• Xena
    Xena

Do you think you are responsible for you own recovery? Of course

How do we do that? Varies according to the person

How have you done that? Research, meditation, moving forward in my life

What warning signs are present when you go to a different plan? a feeling of stagnating, then it's time to change gears

Do you really think you can heal from the JW expericance? yes

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

We are all responsible for our own lives, blaming the WT for your life being crap is childish and hurts noone but yourself.

Recovery happens one day at a time by making tomorrow just a little better than today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit