Gesturing

by 38 Years 7 Replies latest jw friends

• 38 Years
    38 Years

After you quit, do any of you still have problems with excessive gesturing (the ministry school type). When I was a kid, getting a "W" made me feel like a failure. I was always getting a "W" for gesturing, so since I wanted to be "perfect", I decided to incorporate gestures into my everyday speaking. I gestured for everything! It became a habit and then I finally got "G" on all my talks when I worked on gesturing. After a few decades, into adulthood, I have never been able to stop. My hands are always flying around when I talk. It's annoying and somewhat embarrasing.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I took me three talks to get the gesturing improved. How do you act excited when your not? I do not miss that crap at all!

• Gopher
    Gopher

I don't over-gesture now. But I do too much "repetition for emphasis".

I overtalk the point. I could go on and on about this.. but you get my point, right? About repetition. for emphasis? You know, re-iteration of a main thought or idea, to more clearly highlight it? (Gesturing wildly)

• Gopher
    Gopher

I don't over-gesture now. But I do too much "repetition for emphasis".

I overtalk the point. I could go on and on about this.. but you get my point, right? About repetition. for emphasis? You know, re-iteration of a main thought or idea, to more clearly highlight it? (Gesturing wildly)

• BrentR
    BrentR

Could you go over that one more time brother gopher, I was sitting in the back and missed part of it.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

I was working on gestures for my final talk in the Theocraptic Misery School. Got a stupid "W" since the dumb elder couldn't see me gesturing with my left hand. He pulled rank on me when I disagreed with his decision. After that incident, I vowed never to give another talk in life!

I wouldn't say I've got a problem with excessive gesturing in everyday life ... maybe mannerisms (according to JW standards). But who cares! They're MY mannerisms and I'll continue to use them.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

do you criticize when listening to some non-JW speaker? "Oh - word whiskers, naughty naughty. Didn't repeat that for emphasis. Didn't outline what he was going to speak about at the beginning and summarize at the ending. Not enough gestures, too many gestures, etc."

• kifoy
    kifoy

I'm always gesturing when talking. And I always have been. It sometimes get out of hand, so to speak. I have even elbowed my husband in his belly while gesturing... But they are natural, spontaneous gestures.

But during ministry school talks, my gestures usually got stiff and feigned. Though I usually survived and got away with some waving, and never got a "W" (or "A" as it is called here).

I remember that you could almost always tell when listening to, and watching, the speakers (at least the sisters - the brothers usually got more public talk experience). I often whispered to the person sitting next to me:
    I think sister "Waving" are working on the gestures to day... :-)

kifoy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit