Jan 27, 1937 Golden Age PDF: "That Delusion Called 'Love'"

by cabasilas 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Thanks for all the kind responses.

This Golden Age appeared just a year before Rutherford's speech "Fill the Earth" where he counselled against marriage due to the nearness of Armageddon. This Golden Age shows it was more than just the nearness of the End involved with the rejection of marriage. Marriage was only for those who could not control their passions. Marriage was for sex. Where was romance, love and companionship? This Golden Age seems to rule that out. How sad for the JWs who lived in this period!

• garybuss
    garybuss

Got it! Thanks!

• glenster
    glenster

Good research. I think the idea we're supposed to get from it is the JWs
    leaders want to discourage something which could detract from collecting money
    for them.

1937 "That Delusion Called Love": "God's consecrated people do well to re-
    frain from marriage unless they find themselves continually tormented with de-
    sire for sexual intercourse, in which case they should marry." "For those of
    the younger or older who have need to marry on this score, let them dispose of
    the matter in candor and honesty." It encouraged followers that the recommended
    course is "shunning the blight, the delusions and illusions of 'love' so called
    and courtship, which bring reproach on the holy name of Jehovah." ("The Golden
    Age," Jan.27, 1937)
    http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/wrong.htm

1938 "...mark the words of Jesus, which definitely seem to discourage the
    bearing of children immediately before or during Armageddon.... It would
    therefore appear that there is no reasonable or scriptural injunction to bring
    children into the world immediately before Armageddon, where we now are." ("The
    Watchtower," Nov.1, 1938, p.324)

Judge Rutherford, two bodyguards, and their melee weapons in the Saturday
    Evening Post, Sept.14, 1940.
    http://www.catholic-forum.com/members/popestleo/SAT_EVE_POST_JUDGE_KNORR_P19.jpg

A: Maybe if I talk to one of his bodyguards, I could get backstage to get to
    meet the Judge in private--see what he wants me to do with that stick.

B: You really don't get out much, do you?

2000 "Although Noah's three sons were all married, none fathered children un-
    til after the Deluge." "While this does not imply that it is wrong to have
    children today, many Christian couples decline to have children so as to become
    more fully involved in the urgent work that Jehovah has given his people to do.
    Some couples have waited for a time before having children; others have decided
    to remain childless and consider the possibility of bearing children in Jeho-
    vah's righteous new world." ("Watchtower," Aug.1, 2000, p.21)
    http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/wrong.htm

• prophecor
    prophecor

Our twisted history just got a shade darker. What we have come from and what we have come to be.

Absolutely amaxing!!!

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I had missed the 2000 WT on postponing having children. Thanks for sharing that. Does anyone have a scan of that page they could upload to this thread?

• Eliabe
    Eliabe

I dont have money :-( you have "Golden Age PDF" 1919 - to Awake torrent ?! thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit