• Clam
    Clam

Fantastic Nic! Is that in today's?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

yep! go out and buy it dude.

• Clam
    Clam

Will do. Hopefully it might also end up in the letters section of the online edition. Maybe just maybe everyone is heads up on the JWs after the death of the mother in Telford.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Hey!

I get it delivered every morning - I'll read it when I get home.

• Gill
    Gill

Nicolaou - Right! I'm off to get my Independent! Be back in a jiffy! Well done you hero, you!!!

• Dansk
    Dansk

This Commission has no guts! Here's the reply to me in relation to my post to them about the death of a young woman refusing a blood transfusion:

Our Ref.: ND/1077961/G6447 07 /LCD

Dear Mr Hinze

Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Britain (1077961)

Further to your recent correspondence, I can only advise in line with my original e-mail: the Commission has no evidence to suggest that the charity is failing to operate as a charity and that its charitable status should therefore be questioned. As long as a body continues to be registered as a charity, it is subject to a regulatory framework and , of course , the continued requirement to comply with charity law. The r egistration of a charity confers recognition of charitable purpose and not validation of spiritual belief. If you do have evidence relating to a link between the charity and the activity of paedophiles, you should contact the police in the first instance. If you have evidence to show that the charity has evaded tax, you should contact either the police, or Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC). HMRC's website is available at: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ The issue of teachings, interpretations of religious texts, and the prohibition of blood transfusions are doctrinal issues within the charity, which, as with other doctrinal issues in religious charities, we are not normally able to become involved in. In line with this, we cannot comment on whether there is scriptural support for the charity's position on the issue of blood transfusion. It is open to you to discuss issues such as this further with the charity. The charity correspondent 's details are available on our website at: http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/showcharity.asp?chyno=1077961 Yours sincerely Nick Donaldson Senior Liaison Officer Large Charities Division (Bold type mine - Ian)

• nelly136
    nelly136
    http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/sgc.asp
    The Commission strongly recommends that all collectors should:

• be able to produce a valid local authority or police licence (Note: In some parts of London, the police also issue collection licenses. A small minority of charities currently have a Home Office (HO) exemption order which permits them to carry out street collections without a licence. For further details on HO exemptions please call the HO public inquiry desk on 020 7273 4599.)
    • wear an ID badge (donors should look out for any ID that looks altered, photocopied or home-made)
    • have a sealed collection container with the charity’s registration number and name on it - does it match the details on their ID badge? Collectors should also be able to tell you how to contact the charity direct
    • be able to prove that they have the charity’s permission to collect. Collectors from professional fundraising companies must, by law, declare how much of the donation they will be paid, and they should be able to produce a copy of a written agreement with the charity. Thank-you letters and receipts from charities don’t count as permission to collect!

I dont understand why the jws can get round carrying id, I've emailed the charities commission in the past about this and they didnt deign to answer.

I know the jws changed their stance to voluntary donations but they dont seem to have to comply the same way as other charities that come round your doors do.

Taking the religion side out of it why arn't they expected to follow the same guidelines as other charities as they obviously enjoy the same benefits.

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1992/ukpga_19920041_en_8#pt3-pb2-l1g66

loads of legal speak which i find confusing, so can anyone who understands legal gobbledegook better than me,

explain whether this means they should be carrying id badges and collection boxes when theyre on the doors or not?

and if they should be how are they getting away with not doing it?

• Gadget
    Gadget

Nelly, I've been reading through the main section that deals with if a permit is required, and most of it does not apply to jw's because;

Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a charitable appeal which—

(a) is made in the course of a public meeting; or

(b) is made—

(i) on land within a churchyard or burial ground contiguous or adjacent to a place of public worship, or

(ii) on other land occupied for the purposes of a place of public worship and contiguous or adjacent to it,

This would apply to talks from the platform asking for donations, etc. The only point I can see is in subsection 1b;

“charitable appeal” means an appeal to members of the public to give money or other property (whether for consideration or otherwise) which is made in association with a representation that the whole or any part of its proceeds is to be applied for charitable, benevolent or philanthropic purposes.

The question would be is if mentioning to householders that donations for the worldwide work are accepted is the same as asking for donations. I would say it is just a difference of compliance and obedience, but you would have to ask the body responsible for upholding the law for how they define it.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

time to bump!

Anyone in the know - have all the elders and other 'authority figures' had CRB's done? This is now a legal requirement for charities!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit