My wife is frightened about the end/ What to say without sounding Apostate?

by suavojr 37 Replies latest jw friends

• label licker
    label licker
    Luke 21:8
  • steve2
    steve2

Well said Morpheus:

Our wifes want us to be their rocks in times of trouble, same way we want them to tell us they still love us and believe in us when we screw up or feel inadequate.

Reassure, reassure, reassure.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Thanks everyone for your support and great tips! I am getting ready now with some of your advise and will try to connect one on one. I will start easy on her and then stop once her cult persona switches on.

Wish me luck...

• wozza
    wozza

Perhaps her fearfullness is actually based on her personal faith being weaker than she presumes is adequate for survival ,or firstly , what the GB regards as adequate.

Maybe she has trouble coming to grips with all the changes in teaching over the years and does'nt feel confident in her faith , so gently, over time, pointing to the watchtower failings (after some good research) will free her of the fears ,by doing research together with her using their literature and "accidentily" stumbling upon their false and permanently changing reasonings she may have her eyes opened.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I have been verbally, financially and physically abused horribly by jws. There are some I'd like to replace their real yearbooks with one that had texts like in the OP, culminating in an abrupt stop before year's end. Like the Mayan calendar. And let them stew on that.
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    "Honey, wrap your head in tin foil and sleep in the basement from now on."
  • thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

See the funny thing about humans is when they look to the past they tend to remember the good and forget the bad and when they look to the future they think doom and gloom. I try to see the good in both.

There will always be world problems. & honestly if god exists and if he has a judgment day, it's not going to be in the JW favor so you're screwed either way.

Do what you know best and believe what you know to be best. If god has an issue you can ask where he was the whole time, make your peace and be happy about yourself as it ends =].

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

If your concern is to alleviate her fears, I would refer her to the fact that Jesus promised that those who endure to the end will be saved and not one hair of their head would be damaged. (Luke 21:18)

I would back this up with the following article (the initial or partial tribulation fulfillment) and remind her that all Christians who heeded Jesus warning to flee Jerusalem, escaped to safety.

The Watchtower of May 1, 1999 (p. 11,12)

In the years leading up to 66 C.E., Christians would have seen many of the preliminary elements of the composite sign being fulfilled-wars, famines, even an extensive preaching of the good news of the Kingdom. (Acts 11:28; Colossians 1:23) When, though, would the end come? What did Jesus mean when he said: 'This generation [Greek, ge.ne.a'] will not pass away'? Jesus had often called the contemporaneous mass of opposing Jews, including religious leaders, 'a wicked, adulterous generation.' (Matthew 11:16; 12:39, 45; 16:4; 17:17; 23:36) So when, on the Mount of Olives, he again spoke of "this generation," he evidently did not mean the entire race of Jews throughout history; nor did he mean his followers, even though they were "a chosen race." (1 Peter 2:9) Neither was Jesus saying that "this generation" is a period of time.
    Rather, Jesus had in mind the opposing Jews back then who would experience the fulfillment of the sign he gave. Regarding the reference to "this generation" at Luke 21:32, Professor Joel B. Green notes: "In the Third Gospel, 'this generation' (and related phrases) has regularly signified a category of people who are resistant to the purpose of God. . . . [It refers] to people who stubbornly turn their backs on the divine purpose." *
    The wicked generation of Jewish opposers who could observe the sign being fulfilled would also experience the end. (Matthew 24:6, 13, 14) And that they did! In 70 C.E., the Roman army returned, led by Titus, son of Emperor Vespasian. The suffering of the Jews who were again bottled up in the city is almost beyond belief." Eyewitness Flavius Josephus reports that by the time the Romans demolished the city, about 1,100,000 Jews had died and some 100,000 were taken captive, most of those soon to perish horribly from starvation or in Roman theaters. Truly, the tribulation of 66-70 C.E. was the greatest that Jerusalem and the Jewish system had ever experienced or would ever experience. How different the outcome was for Christians who had heeded Jesus' prophetic warning and had left Jerusalem after the departure of the Roman armies in 66 C.E.!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit