Red Flag Apostate Phrases for JWs

by comment 28 Replies latest jw friends

• comment
    comment

I remember that when I was a Witness, seeing certain phrases would trigger the response: "Aha, this must be from an apostate!"

Those words and phrases included:

"The Watchtower Society"--because the brothers would usually just call it "the Society" and because this was, of course, merely a legal instrument the brothers used to advance the preaching work.

"The Governing Body"--because despite the power they may wield, the Governing Body does stay in the background personality-wise most of the time and has done so pretty much since the days of Knorr; therefore, I regarded any attempts to point to them as personally important as suspicious (and can recall being charmed in an odd way a few years ago when a brother giving a public talk was unable to recall the name of the Society's current President).

"The rank and file"--obviously this was insulting because Jehovah's Witnesses have no clergy-laity division! (By the way, who was the first "apostate" to start using this term?)

Can you think of other phrases that would send up red flags for a Jehovah's Witness? Be honest.

Those writing letters to their families and friend on whatever Witness-related subjects might want to bear this in mind.

comment

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    "The Watchtower Society"--because the brothers would usually just call it "the Society" and because this was, of course, merely a legal instrument the brothers used to advance the preaching work.

Next time a Dub comes to my door, I'll look around really furtively all over the place and then whisper: "Are you from...'the Society'??"

"The naked man fears no pickpockets"

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

"born again"
    "read the Bible for direction" (or words to that effect)
    "I'm a Christian"
    "church"
    "the Holy Spirit is our helper"

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

The phrase 'rank and file'...

WT 6/15/51..

2 True, those words of Paul were written to a man who was an overseer in the Christian congregation. But this does not mean that personal reading and study of the Holy Scriptures is limited to only an official servant class, and the rank and file of the congregation may not study it for themselves. Timothy knew the holy writings before ever he became an overseer; and the fact that an overseer is to be an example to the flock means the members of the flock are to follow his example in themselves studying God's Word. In this way they can determine whether the things taught them are true, that is, in harmony with God's will and Word.

3 But now a question. Can any individual Christian with just the Bible alone understand by himself all that the Scriptures teach? Is all he needs for determining God's will the Bible alone? He has a right to have a personal copy of God's Book and he is under apostolic instructions to make a private study of that Book. But he cannot depend upon just himself to understand it fully. In a general letter to Christians the apostle Peter writes: "Consequently, we have the prophetic word made more firm, and you are doing well in paying attention to it as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and a daystar rises, in your hearts. For you know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private release. For prophecy was at no time brought by man's will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit." (2 Pet. 1:19-21, NW) Since God's Word was released to us through men under the power of God's holy spirit or active force, the help of God's spirit is needed in understanding that Word.

WT 2/1/51
    There is no exemption to any consecrated minister. Those taking the lead among them must set the example, and the others must imitate them. (1 Pet. 5:1-3) These leading ministers do not engage in carnal warfare, but preach. The rank and file of Jehovah's witnesses, being also ministers of God, copy their faithful example and peacefully preach

WT 12/15/71

28 Is that visible earthly organization eager to do that grand work? Look! The appointed elders and overseers of the congregations are actively working in that behalf. The ministerial servants of the congregations are cooperating in that behalf. The rank and file of the congregations, the dedicated men and women and their children, are taking part in the work, both from house to house and publicly. The governing body over all these theocratic congregations is whole-souled behind this evangelizing work and is making every arrangement for getting the work done within the time divinely allowed. The "faithful and discreet slave" class of today has been appointed over all the Kingdom interests belonging to the Lord Jesus Christ, and, as a faithful steward of his interests, it serves out spiritual food through the evangelizing work.

That's it so far...

BITE ME, WATCHTOWER!!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Using "The Watchtower" instead of "the magazines" (in some contexts).
    Using "the GB" instead of "the brothers".
    "I'm anointed"
    "The Lord"
    "The Christ"
    ...anything to do with Jesus instead of Jehovah, in actual fact.
    Use of the word "God" too much, instead of Jehovah.
    "The paraclete"
    "New light/Old light" (in some contexts).
    "the good people in xxxx religion"

LT

• Englishman
    Englishman

"I hate you bloody dubs, piss off."

"What about 1975 then? Ha ha ha!"

"Fancy a shag?"

"What will Santa Claus bring you this year?"

"I can't abide people who swear, drink or smoke. Bugger me, I've left me pipe in the pub".

The subtle nuances outlined above can often be picked up as apostate warning signals by mature JW's.

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

LOL@Eman.
    You've made my morning!!!

LT

• Gozz
    Gozz

Dungbeetle, you did well...

The phrase 'rank and file'...

Watchtower June 15, 1951

2 True, those words of Paul were written to a man who was an overseer in the Christian congregation. But this does not mean that personal reading and study of the Holy Scriptures is limited to only an official servant class, and the rank and file of the congregation may not study it for themselves. Timothy knew the holy writings before ever he became an overseer; and the fact that an overseer is to be an example to the flock means the members of the flock are to follow his example in themselves studying God's Word. In this way they can determine whether the things taught them are true, that is, in harmony with God's will and Word.

3 But now a question. Can any individual Christian with just the Bible alone understand by himself all that the Scriptures teach? Is all he needs for determining God's will the Bible alone? He has a right to have a personal copy of God's Book and he is under apostolic instructions to make a private study of that Book. But he cannot depend upon just himself to understand it fully. In a general letter to Christians the apostle Peter writes: "Consequently, we have the prophetic word made more firm, and you are doing well in paying attention to it as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and a daystar rises, in your hearts. For you know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private release. For prophecy was at no time brought by man's will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit." (2 Pet. 1:19-21, NW) Since God's Word was released to us through men under the power of God's holy spirit or active force, the help of God's spirit is needed in understanding that Word.

Watchtower February 1, 1951
    There is no exemption to any consecrated minister. Those taking the lead among them must set the example, and the others must imitate them. (1 Pet. 5:1-3) These leading ministers do not engage in carnal warfare, but preach. The rank and file of Jehovah's witnesses, being also ministers of God, copy their faithful example and peacefully preach.

Watchtower December 15, 1971

28 Is that visible earthly organization eager to do that grand work? Look! The appointed elders and overseers of the congregations are actively working in that behalf. The ministerial servants of the congregations are cooperating in that behalf. The rank and file of the congregations, the dedicated men and women and their children, are taking part in the work, both from house to house and publicly. The governing body over all these theocratic congregations is whole-souled behind this evangelizing work and is making every arrangement for getting the work done within the time divinely allowed. The "faithful and discreet slave" class of today has been appointed over all the Kingdom interests belonging to the Lord Jesus Christ, and, as a faithful steward of his interests, it serves out spiritual food through the evangelizing work.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

The GB is normally referred to as 'the Slave'.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

GermanJW:
    You've actually highlighted an important point that needs to be considered when applying this thread.
    Differant countries, even differant congregations, have a slight spin on exactly how they express themselves.
    I don't know any congregation that uses the phrase "the slave". I have heard one brother use the phrase "the faithful and discreet slave", without being looked down upon, but I don't know if it would have been the case if he had liberally seasoned his comments with it.

LT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit