What Are Your Special Interests?

by R.F. 32 Replies latest jw friends

• R.F.
    R.F.

First of all, i'd like to say that the purpose of this thread is in know way an avenue for me to boast, but merely to share an interest with you all.

There is one thing at least that i'd like to get back into now that I no longer have so much of my time taken up by JW activities, and that's music.

I won't name the instrument on this thread because that'll be telling too much info about me(as if I already hadn't) and I don't want to just blatently give my identity away since many local JWs know about this, but i'm starting to realize how much i've missed playing the intrument.

I haven't touched one in 5 years, yet I still feel that I can pick one up and play it. My mother even asked me the other day if I missed playing.

It all started when I was about to enter middle school and I wanted to learn something new, so I signed up for band. The instructor said I seemed to be a natural at it, so he moved me to the advanced band in the middle of the school year. That's not bad for a newbie first starting and getting thrown in with kids that have been playing for 3 at least already. Since I was taken out of beginner's band so early I missed out on learing alot of the basic fundamentals of playing the instrument, yet, I still managed to keep at it and do quite well. In high school I auditioned and made the All-Region Orchestra 3 times, and the Honor Orchestra twice.

Of course, I got alot of discouragement from dad when it came to this, since JW kids aren't supposed to take part in extracurricular activities. However, mom wanted my siblings and I to experience things like this, so she allowed me to do this. Gotta love mom! She even wanted me to continue on in the college level with this, but I chose not to. I'm now considering doing it at that level now since I want to go back to college. I also want to learn 4 more instruments which consist of saxophone, trumpet, piano, and guitar.

It's awesome because musical talent seems to be a natural thing for family on my father's side. I have a cousin that is a great trumpet player. I'd pay to hear him play. I also have an aunt that is excellent at guitar, and a few other cousins that are wonderful singers who i'd pay to hear play also.

What are you're special interests?

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I LOVE PHOTOGRAPHY !

• Open mind
    Open mind

R.F.

I haven't touched one in 5 years, yet I still feel that I can pick one up and play it.

Well, R.F., for the lurking JW detectives out there, unless you're also into MAJOR body building, you've just ruled out the Piano and the Drums.

Couldn't resist.

Great thread idea BTW.

Open Mind

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good for you, R.F.! I teach music and in our JW community there is no apparent putting down of dance and music and art. There are several JW teachers and many JW students. I preach the fine arts - my chief interest - and many listen.

I wish you the best as you move ahead, pursuing the joy of music.

CoCo de la Musique

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    What Are Your Special Interests?

Free2think

• snowbird
    snowbird

Researching my ancestry. There are websites that have info on the Black Belt of Alabama where I grew up. I've gone to online cemeteries and found out so much that I didn't know.

My parents are both dead; no one kept any written records; I neglected to pay close attention to the oral stories my ancestors used to tell; so I have to start almost from scratch. However, I have always loved a good challenge.

Thank you for asking, R. F.

Sylvia

• tula
    tula

Don't tell me its time for the last TRUMPET blast!

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Nailing the solo from Cream's "Crossroads Blues". I'm close, but not there quite yet . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg1pHeYmaQE

enjoy

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233
    I haven't touched one in 5 years, yet I still feel that I can pick one up and play it.

It's been several years for me, too. I think I remember how to do it...oh wait...I don't think we are talking about the same instrument...MY BAD!!!!

• R.F.
    R.F.

Thank you for your replies everyone.

AwakeandWatching - photography is another thing i'd love to get into.

compoundcomplex - in my area, music isn't necessarily spoken against, but it definitely was since alot of things with it interferred with meeting attendance. There were many concerts that seemed to be so conveniently scheduled on meeting nights. I felt horrible because of it but hey, I loved the music.

snowbird - thats a very interesting feat you have in store for you. I wish you the best in it. I'd too like to look into my ancestry more. On my mother's side I can go back 5 generations of which I have some knowledge of them. I was so happy to actually see a picture of my great-great-great-grandparents. On my father's side, he knows nothing of his grandparents. I'd love to find out more about that line.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit