What "Unwritten Rules" Did Your Congregation Have?

by minimus 73 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I knew of a Hall that allowed ONLY white shirted speakers on the platform for Sunday public talks! When a visiting speaker did not wear the official white shirt he was either told that he couldn't give the talk or he could change shirts,as the Hall kept a variety of sizes, just in case of an emergency!!! I don't make this up. (Besides it's too crazy!)

Were there any rules that you were supposed to abide by???

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

The congregation that I grew up in I'm sure had some, but I was too young to notice I guess. But the congregation that I eventually went to, the one that I gave public talks in, we had the same rule about ONLY white shirts on the platform. No beards was another big one. That is the ultimate unwritten rule in my opinion.

• Rooster
    Rooster

The back center row was for disfellowshipped ones. There was a black sister whose husband had left her and she was missing one of her legs. She went to the same "Book study" as I did. So one Sunday I sat next to her because I felt sorry for her. She always sat alone in the disfellowshipped row. Well when I got up to go to the restroom an elder jumped up and followed me. He said what is your problem can’t you find a seat out with the rest of the friends? I said I didn’t realize that I was not in the right seat & asked him if I needed to move. He said "just remember that the back row is for disfellowshipped ones and don’t sit there anymore.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I grew up in Smalltown, WV. At weddings, you could only dance if you were married or engaged. I remember one wedding inparticular where an older sister and a younger brother danced together; the Elders shut down the music and ended the reception.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I remember the white shirt rule. And it wasn't just for those going on the platform. They hounded me to get rid of a pale-yellow shirt that went nicely with the tan suit I was wearing, even for regular meetings and service. And, if you were going out in field circus in hot weather without your suitcoat, you still needed an undershirt.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I can't recall them having any such unwritten rules they were in fact quite liberal, even beards and university education were not frowned upon. Single males and females danced in groups together but not in pairs.

• ness
    ness

yeah...the beard rule. i remember that one...

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233
    even beards and university education were not frowned upon

Where were you guys attending the meetings, Switerland? I have not once in my life seen a "brother" in the states w/ a beard. In fact, my ex-husband used to work in the Engineering Dept of a hotel and they were not allowed to have beards or goatees, either.

• Grammy
    Grammy
    The back center row was for disfellowshipped ones.

That was the unwritten rule at my hall also, but this one sister who was disfellowshipped for adultery (with a brother who obeyed by sitting in the back row)refused to sit there and for 2 years she sat in the middle of the second row with her young daughter at every meeting...until she was finally reinstated. I admired her for that!

• minimus
    minimus

The elders went after certain brothers that wore "loud" colorful ties. They were even counseled when they gave a talk in the Ministry School.

The Overseer also made a rule that if you were working on "Introductions", and you were a sister, YOU had to initiate the conversation or else you'd get a "W".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit