Where were you when the planes hit?

by coolhandluke 56 Replies latest jw experiences

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

It f*cks me off that this happened only a few years ago but no one in my office has yet to even mention it. It was such a pivotal event:

I was driving from Fontana to Chino in California dressed in service clothes. It was my long day in Field Service. As always I was listening to Howard Stern. I thought that he was doing some type of bit like a War of the Worlds thing. It made me angry so I turned. Then I realized that it was actually happening. I figured Howard was in New York so he'd know the most and I turned back. I was just dumbstruck.

I met my field service partners and ran from my car yelling for them to turn on the radio. We would normally hit gas stations and the like. I just didn't know what to say. I have only a few major regrets in my life. There was a woman absent mindely pumping her gas. I had my Bible and never did it feel more impotent in my hands. I walked over to her, we made eye contact and she started to cry. What I regret is not hugging her and crying with her. I regret that and I think about it to this day.

When I got back in the car my friends wife says to me, "Guess what Dom? Mike is taking me to breakfast for pancakes!" "WHAT?! Pancakes?! Do you hear what is going on and you are excited about PANCAKES?!" When I think about it, this was the beginning of the end for me as far as JW's are concerned. It struck me that with all of God's "power" and all of my knowledge I couldn't comfort one woman while she cried or silence another woman from droning on about the joys of pancakes...

Where were you?

• prophecor
    prophecor

Lost in Translation.

Where was I, when?

• R.F.
    R.F.

I was in my senior year of high school in my calculus class. That was the first class of the morning. I heard one guy in the corridors before classes even started mention something about a plane hitting a building in New York. He was a bit of a jokester so I thought he was kidding, but after class started a student told our teacher to turn the tv on and there it was.....the both World Trade Center towers up in smoke, then they showed the Pentagon. It was unreal. We didn't even, well, COULDN'T do any class work that day.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I WAS ON TOP OF A WATCHTOWER BUILDING AND WITNESSED THE SECOND PLANE HIT THE TOWER.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Woke up early to be at the hall for my first day back on the reg pio list. Turned on the news for some reason and the first one had just hit. Field service was more surreal than normal that day.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I was in Strasbourg France as a tourist visiting and admiring the old city at the time. Heard about it upon returning to the hotel.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke
    I WAS ON TOP OF A WATCHTOWER BUILDING AND WITNESSED THE SECOND PLANE HIT THE TOWER.

HOLY SH!T I cannot imagine... I'm speechless

• BrentR
    BrentR

Since I am on the west coast my clock radio clicked on with the report of the first plane that hit. I got out of bed and turned on CNN and within seconds I saw the second plane hit live. I will never forget seeing that second plane hit and the long silence from the reporter not real sure what just happened.

My sister was in labor with my niece. It won't be hard to remember her birthday even though they are JW's.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Listening to IMUS in the Morning. Around the time that it was reported on his program, his was a radio show at the time, I thought at first that it must be some practical joke. I go downstairs and low and behold, there it was. A hole in the WTC. Then, while watching the events unfold, I see live, the second plane to hit the tower. Immediately after that, I knew the first one was no accident.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I was in the Soup Kitchen, when someone from the dining area came running in, telling us to hurry and come look at the news on T.V. I just could not believe (or did not want to believe) that this could really be happening. But there it was. That evening I was "glued" to the news. I can't even describe how I felt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit