September 11

by lavendar 65 Replies latest jw friends

• lavendar
    lavendar

The sixth anniversary today. May we never forget......

Lavendar

• Mary
    Mary

I was just going to start a topic on this myself......I was at work when one of my co-workers told me that a plane had hit the WTC......I figured it was just an accident until she came up to me 15 minutes later and told me another one had hit the other tower. I had a government job at the time and we had access to a room that looked like a mini-United Nations room, complete with 3 theatre-sized screens. We grabbed the keys to the room, went in and watched what was happening. Seeing those buildings collapse like that on a big screen was horrifying and we were all pretty well in shock.......

Where were you when you heard?

• freyd
    freyd

1914 - Two Bullets - WWI & WWII. 911 - Two Planes - Iraq & Afghanistan

• barry
    barry

I was on JWD at the time in chat and was advised to turn on the TV, I was in shock and shaking for hours after.

• POs Son
    POs Son

I remember, I had worked the late shift night before, so was sleeping in late. My mother called to tell me that the first plane hit, so I went to my computer room, turned on the TV, AM radio to news channel, and fired up the police-scanner radio. Living just 60 miles out of NYC, I was able to hear the fire department radio calls live, it was chaos.

The two most startling moments were (1) seeing CBS TV black out when the second tower got hit, and hearing the mayday calls from trapped firefighters over the radio.

Looks like Bin Laden's folks are in high gear again.... keep your head down and your powder dry!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I was eating my breakfast at a restaurant on my way to the hospital to see my mom. When I left the hospital I was under the impression it was just an accident. By the time I got to the hospital it became clear it was not when a second plane attacked. We watched in horror as the first tower collapsed and then the second.

My mom, delusional from being a Jw, and at this point deprived of oxygen due to COPD seemed to think in days to follow that she had been at home watching this - I think she also thought the end was near too. I was not so sure - though a Jw at the time. Now I understand it was just madmen doing what madmen have always done - I cannot ever forget that day. It was our generation's Pearl Harbor.

Jeff

• Tara
    Tara

I was in the shower, got out to see the news re: the first one, and saw the second one hit on tv. Terrible day...

• AnneB
  • dobbie
    dobbie

I was at work and patients started to come in saying there had been a terrorist attack, but it wasn't til i got home that i knew how terrible it was.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I was on vacation in England

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit