Vegetarian Question

by ColdRedRain 15 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Hey, I just became a vegetarian and I'm wondering how do you stop yourself from getting lightheaded? I'm always getting lightheaded after I work out and I'm fearing I might have to eat meat.

• Mum
    Mum

Maybe your blood pressure is low. Have you had it checked recently? I used to have fainting episodes for that reason.

• oompa
    oompa

I recommend eating only grass fed beef, you can find them on the internet. After all, if you eat them, and they only eat grass and water, that is what you are eating!

good luck....oompa

• greendawn
    greendawn

Oompa, CRR is trying to be a vegetarian which means he doesn't eat anything involving the killing of animals.

CRR, you have to see the nutritional breakdown of your food to see if it gives enough of all the various nutrients we need. I suppose you are not a vegan and so you eat cheese and perhaps eggs.

If you are a vegan things are tougher so you must check your diet more closely for its nutritional content.

• forsharry
    forsharry

Lightheaded can mean a lot of things, but if we're going strictly dietary here it's because you're not eating enough calories and/or the right types of foods. Beans and rice are a complete meal. Just cause meat is off the menu doesn't mean protein is as well. it's an essential part of our diet. Peanut butter, beans of all kinds, tofu, eggs and cheese (if you're not vegan) are good sources of proteins and good-for-you fats (in moderation, obviously.)

I suggest if you're really serious about going vegetarian to speak to your doctor or find a nutritionist who deals with dietplans of these kinds. Otherwise you could really be shorting yourself in nutrients in the long run.

• dobbie
    dobbie

You could be maybe short on iron if you aren't getting enough in your new diet. Good sources include wholegrain cereals, leafy green veg, pulses such as chickpeas lentils kidney beans and also baked beans, dried fruit, also in slightly less amounts egg hard cheese and brown rice or brown bread. Also a good intake of vit c from fruit and peppers etc helps your body to absorb the iron. Or you could have fruit juice as well. Proteins important as well such as nuts seeds tofu soya products, cereals eggs milk cheese and yoghurt. You could pop to your docs for a blood test just to check your haemoglobin levels. There are a lot of veggie websites with advice if you just google vegetarian diets or something. Sorry am off out now or wuld find some for you. Any questions (or recipes ) just ask, i've been veggie for 26 yrs. I eat dairy products though, i was a vegan for a short while but i couldn't give up the chocolate!soya chocolate - yuk!

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

To me an ear splitting headache usually means an empty gas tank. If you have a low bfi index, you are starving yourself. Please also check your insulin level..

According to a recent msn bit of research, the most healthies foods are: beets,cabbage,swiss chard,cinnamon,purselane(no idea), pommegranate juice,goji berrys(?) ,dried plumbs,pumpkin seeds.

According to that dude on pbs, walnuts several times a day. Also for men, tons of tomato sauce.

I lived a totally meatless diet for years in my young adult days, as well as fat free lifestyle, and I look and feel better at 51 than many at 40.

I eat very small amounts of meat now-maybe 1 or 2 ounces, but i drink lots of water, and o.j.

Everyone is right to reccomend a health check up, but a protein free diet is hard. If you are overweight, exercise helped me recently. My blood pressure was 150 over 104- poor. After losing over 20 lbs, 118 over 78.

If I was a Witness, I would never have known the trouble I was in 2 years ago. How come> Well it was a nurse at our blood donor clinic who explained what to do about it.

I am a faithful blood donor here in Canada. Good luck. It's worth it.

• Sassy
    Sassy

well I am no vegetarian... but.. are you getting enough protein? what about a protein drink suppliment?

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

There is a vitamin I take called "from the earth" designed specifically for vegetarians. Most vegetarians get a B12 / B6 vitamin deficiency, which can lead to lightheadedness. I've been there...this will help. Also make sure you are getting enough proteins like tempeh, as opposed to soy.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

If your getting lightheaded it's probaby because you aren't getting enough iron which is common with Vegetarians, you might be anemic. you need to take iron supplements but talk to a doctor first. Here's a link to some of the things you should be taking if you are anemic:

http://www.peacehealth.org/kbase/cam/hn-1225002.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit